GOLFMKV

3rd Annual Patonga Beach Drive Day 17th Oct 2010

johnoR32

Werewolf Assassin
Car(s)
R32
3rd Annual Golfmkv.com Patonga Beach Drive Day 17th Oct 2010

Preamble:

Hey guys, it's that time once again when the weather is warming up and our cars are itchn to be driven. This drive day has historically been a great social day out mixed with a good drive. So hope you can clear your schedules for one of the best drives of the year. some pics from previous Patonga Days below :thumbsup:

Plan for 9.30am departure from meeting point so get there at 9am for a chat and coffee. Back in Sydney at your leisure. Meet point will be by PM a week before.

Requirements:

Roadworthy car in good order - tyres and brakes especially
Check oil & fluids BEFORE arrival - top up if required
FULL tank of petrol BEFORE arrival
Check Tyre pressure
Use the bathroom BEFORE we leave

Equipment:

Walkie-talkie aka CB/UHF radio (FULLY charged), preferrably with hands-free operation (not necessarily VOX). It is useful not only for chit chat, but warning others of road debris, finding people when they get lost and is useful during overtaking. Ideally 1W or more.
GPS (fully charged or with in-car charger) is useful but not necessary
"Sick bags" for passengers if any

"The Rules"

Minimum 2 sec gap for concertina effect. Please keep a sensible distance from the car in front - this varies depending on speed. Most cars don't stop on a dime doing 80+kph. Don't forget that the driver in front has just as much to lose as the driver behind! Conversely don't leave too long a gap (e.g. >5-10 seconds in twisty areas) - the car ahead does provide some clue as to what's coming up!
"Look ahead" to see what is coming up. This and the 2 second rule will save your ass when someone comes to a dead stop mid blind corner!
NO CROSSING CENTRE LINES AT ALL. The oncoming lane is not to be used for wide entries to get a better apex!
Care with overtaking - use dedicated overtaking lanes where possible. Please ensure there is plenty of room for safety. Please exercise caution if the road surface happens to be loose. Please leave a decent gap to the car behind before merging back in. Be courteous! No one likes a gravel shower at 80+kph.
Be aware of your speed. It will be rare for cars to reach the limit in the twistier sections of the roads we are travelling. No one likes a speeding ticket...
Practice correct corner set up including braking & changing gears before corner - not during corner. Heavy braking mid corner is a recipe for hitting the wall, speaking of which...
Limit trail braking through the corner. Please wash off your speed before the corner NOT in it. This is especially important for the DOWNHILL tight turns/hairpins - you don't want to be ploughing into the next lane at full lock whacking into oncoming traffic because you carried too much speed.
Parking to be legal unless for photoshoot (for short duration).
Make sure your car is road worthy!!
It's strongly recommended you leave ESP on.
New GTG drivers - reread and follow all of the above. There are varying levels of experience within the group. Everyone wants to have a fun and safe day - so don't push your car too hard too early. DON'T NECESSARILY FOLLOW WHAT THE CAR IN FRONT DOES BLINDLY. There may be many modified cars present, many which handle far better than stock cars in some circumstances. You might not know that the car up ahead is tricked up...

Attendee list so far:

funny
Benough
mljchan
capercat
dodgey
johnoR32
triode12
chris32
GTISS
yousnooze
thor
apmitchell
mistaka0s (maybe)
and a few others from another forum

Attachments

• DSC00904.jpg
    DSC00904.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 481
  • GolfMkV-DriveDay-190108.jpg
    GolfMkV-DriveDay-190108.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 484
  • DSC00909.jpg
    DSC00909.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 469
  • DSC00910.jpg
    DSC00910.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC00913.jpg
    DSC00913.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC00915.jpg
    DSC00915.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 478
  • DSC00912.jpg
    DSC00912.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Hmm looks like i missed a good one last year.

I'm in!

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
In like flynn.

Pictures of my old black R32 make me miss her a little. I'll have to go and stroke the RS to make me feel better :D

mike20t

Shaved Burger
Sounds great but ill still be in the USA then :(

I would of loved to bring my now completed EVO V track/street project to show you guys how its done in the corners :) Hahaha jk

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Well looks like i posted the wrong post...