GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3M tinting film to smoke rear lights?

Samaj

Ready to race!
I read in an article in Eurotuner that someone used 3M window tint film to smoke the rear brake lights. Makes sence since the film can come in 20-30% black tint. Can curve & is heat resistant & will not fade.

Anyone tried it? I know that in due cource of time the film might come out from the edges.Even if it last 6 months per application. Its ok. Better than painting it black or buying new units.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
why not use some tint spray? it cost me £5 for a can of spray and it took me no more then 30 mins

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
window tinting will not stretch as far as i can rmr, and if it does prob not mas much as it needs for for the curves of the lights...

PanthersNHL7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
take it to a local shop and see if they can do it and just use whatever they have...should be cheap. i know theres a lot of car stores in dubai, i used to live there :thumbsup:

Samaj

Ready to race!
Hey u r from Dubai...? Neat........there are a good amount of GTI's here now.

The reason i wanted to use this option , a)its cheap plus i can just peal it off. Not a big fan of spraying since you will have to prime the smooth plastic for the paint to adhere properly. Then you have issues of paint fading , chipping etc.

Will try over the weekend. The MKV GTI rear lights dont have that many curves for the film to have to stretch actually. I guess the best bet is to try out.

Will post pics.

Cheers

take it to a local shop and see if they can do it and just use whatever they have...should be cheap. i know theres a lot of car stores in dubai, i used to live there :thumbsup:

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
if you go the lamin-x route, definitely get the sheets yourself - i have heard nothing but bad things about their precut tints (mostly sizing issues) - but keep in mind they are pretty expensive for what you get...

I got pre-cut lamin-x tint for my fogs (blue) and for my tail lights (smoked) and they fit perfectly. It takes about a week for the air bubbles to fully dissipate but once they do, the tint job looks professional and very sick IMO. The only thing you have to do with the pre-cut tints is use a razor blade or x-acto knife to cut off the little handling tabs that facilitate the application - that was kind of a PITA. But overall I love the lamin-x and would highly recommend it.

Samaj

Ready to race!
Where can i order his product? Online..........any websites?

Photos & close up will help.

I got pre-cut lamin-x tint for my fogs (blue) and for my tail lights (smoked) and they fit perfectly. It takes about a week for the air bubbles to fully dissipate but once they do, the tint job looks professional and very sick IMO. The only thing you have to do with the pre-cut tints is use a razor blade or x-acto knife to cut off the little handling tabs that facilitate the application - that was kind of a PITA. But overall I love the lamin-x and would highly recommend it.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
which shade did you go with? i see that they now have 3 choices (charcoal, smoke, and gunmetal) - do you have any photos of your tails?

I went with the smoked tint - 83% light output. They are the perfect tint level. I'd be afraid to put the charcoal on because it is so dark that I'd probably get rear ended by someone.

Attachments

• backsideshot.JPG
    backsideshot.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 4,033
  • backdriverside.JPG
    backdriverside.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 3,670

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
yea, i tried tinting my lights today with normal tint. needless to say it didnt work well lol(im a nimmie hehe) so im going to go with the lamin-x pre cuts, looks good and from what ive seen and heard from most, fits right. i think theyre like 50something on the lamin-x site arent they for the tail light set?