GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printed Inlet Duct

gti_loki

Ready to race!
Long time lurker but finally had something to share with the community:
I'm a design-engineer by trade (20+ years), a car nerd for even longer and I've run a 3D printing LLC for the last 3 years. Surprisingly, this is the first part I've actually made for a car.
The more I researched intake systems and read the forums, the more discouraged I became about buying one. I still see inefficiencies and room for improvement, but it seems ze Germans did a damn fine job overall.
I was originally going to buy the intake block-off plate (5Q0129849KT) to reduce WOT air temps but when the wrong part arrived, I started looking at anything simple I could do on my own.
After measuring the open area where it necks down around the hood latch, I decided this was the best place for improvement without going nuts.
The new duct replaces the big factory unit and encompasses the entire driver side opening then dives directly into the factory air box. There are mounting provisions in that spot that I utilized to provide a sturdy install.
The filament is a high strength alloy used for production parts with a working environment temp of 180f. Because of the location, I think this will be sufficient, but it's only been on the car for a day. I'm in Texas so if heat is going to be a problem, I'll know soon enough!

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• GTI Duct_c.JPG
    GTI Duct_c.JPG
    822.1 KB · Views: 677
  • GTI Duct_d.JPG
    GTI Duct_d.JPG
    690.7 KB · Views: 539
  • GTI Duct_e.JPG
    GTI Duct_e.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 902
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 578

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Very very cool. For someone who does not know a thing about 3D printing, how much does it cost (in material only, not the printer) to produce that piece?

gti_loki

Ready to race!
Thanks for the positive feedback!

I can't commit to pricing yet. If the part starts to sag due to heat (that is a coolant line running across the top of it after all) I will have to switch to a slightly more expensive material that's better suited to the heat. I also didn't have any on hand and I was to excited to order it and wait.

Right now, the raw material is ~$35 for one duct. Plus a 21-22 hour build time/setup. Build time (how long it takes to print) is what makes 3D printing so costly. I ran the part through Xometry.com (a great resource if you can make models) and it was ~$270-300. Obviously this is ridiculous and their pricing model is more aimed at prototypes for big companies than someone who wants a cheap part made.

I *think* that $150 should be do-able without making it unprofitable. But I need to run the duct for a little while before I'm confident in the material.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Looks awesome, would be interested in pricing even though I have the block off plate installed.

gti_loki

Ready to race!
Cool design and a neat project. I'm not understanding the benefit of this versus the blocking plate?

Benefits: it was a fun project.
There are no assumed gains over the block off plate, but the flow potential is definitely higher.

gti_loki

Ready to race!
None of these scoops are like OP's. That's what I'm referring to.

I looked that the aftermarket scoops, as well, and they’re unnecessarily expensive. Why no one makes a cheap plastic version is beyond me.
If I had the capital and buyer interest, I could design one for injection molding and they’d probably be ~$50.
The mold and startup costs would probably be $15-20k.

gti_loki

Ready to race!
What about this design increases the flow potential versus the stock intake?

if you take a cross section of the smallest part of the stock duct, it’s significantly smaller than both the inlet and outlet.
In stock form, it’s unlikely the OEM duct is being taxed.