GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3 door vs 5 door

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
3 door - looks wicked!
5 door - looks even more wicked (to my eye at least) :thumbsup: (and more practical)

Das_Meister

Go Kart Newbie
Why is the 5 door so much more practical? Do you really find it that hard to slide
the seat forward to get in? I'm 6'3" and I have more problems getting in some 4/5 door cars than the Golf.

Also with the 3 door, if you have something large to place in the back seat, (example a large CRT TV) its alot easier than the 5-door.

This is all from my experiences. BTW if you get either, you're still a winner.

:bowvw:​

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
3 door - sportier and more coupe lookalike

5 door - practical. not ugly either

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
3 door has a stiffer chassis and is better handling.
5 door is more practical (smaller front doors, plus tall passengers can get in without trouble).

IMHO 3 door also looks better; I don't like the 5-door GTI much.
My GTI is 3 door, and I've driven a Mk5 5-door R32, and the chassis with 3 doors is just that much stiffer.
Not so important though if you're not gonna take it on tracks or play too rough with it and you've got kids/skis/tall friends.

Das_Meister said:
Why is the 5 door so much more practical? Do you really find it that hard to slide
the seat forward to get in?:[/CENTER]

My first car was a 4 door and second was a 2... it isnt even about the passengers. the convenience of back doors is so great.
i prefer to throw my bags in the back seat driver side much more than setting it in the passenger seat.

i think the 5 door looks sweet! (nothing against the 3 door)

Das_Meister

Go Kart Newbie
Hey GTI Fanatic, what are popular setups/colors in Germany? What kind of GTI's do you see the most there?

Das_Meister said:
Hey GTI Fanatic, what are popular setups/colors in Germany? What kind of GTI's do you see the most there?

I have seen only black and red for the 5 months i have been here.

1x red 3 door
3x red 5 door

1x black 3 door
4x black 5 door

there is a black 5 door that i see every day on the way to work :bellyroll:
and a block in the oppisite direction a 3 door.

Oddly enough the 3 door is there every day but they are from Koblenz not Koeln

Das_Meister

Go Kart Newbie
GTi Fanatic: Thanks for the scouting report bro! Mad props to ya :w00t:

So, it looks like you've seen more 5 doors thenl

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
In Australia, the 5 door is all you can get, although, there is talk that the 3 door might be available later in the year.

Das_Meister said:
GTi Fanatic: Thanks for the scouting report bro! Mad props to ya :w00t:

So, it looks like you've seen more 5 doors thenl

Yeah the europe scene is all about hatchbacks... golf being the top of the list.
there are many more 5 door gti´s in every gen. :biggrin:

ChalkyWhite

Drag Race Newbie
Prefer 5 door myself from two points of view;
throwing my work bags on the back seat much easier than the passenger seat.
The front doors are narrower on the 5 dr, so it's easier to get in and out in garages.

In the UK i've seen plenty of steel grey, one or two black and a couple of red. Absolutey no white, blue or silver. Oh, and no pink ones funnily enough.
Would love to see one in white. The photos look gr8. Laser blue is my favourite, but decided that after the car was ordered. :frown:

91ABAGTi

Passed Driver's Ed
cmdrfire said:
3 door has a stiffer chassis and is better handling.
5 door is more practical (smaller front doors, plus tall passengers can get in without trouble).

IMHO 3 door also looks better; I don't like the 5-door GTI much.
My GTI is 3 door, and I've driven a Mk5 5-door R32, and the chassis with 3 doors is just that much stiffer.
Not so important though if you're not gonna take it on tracks or play too rough with it and you've got kids/skis/tall friends.

Are you saying you actually could feel chassis flex in the MkV without racing slicks on it and track suspension? You have to be kidding right? Besides that, you compared a fwd to awd. The difference you felt was 1. the weight of the R32 2. the AWD. Don't get me wrong, traditional lines of thinking would suggest you're correct, but I assure you, body flex is not what you felt; more like body roll. Thank you very much $0.02