GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Formula 1 Season

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
It’s Miami, and an inaugural race to boot. It’s not for the existing fans. Think it’s bad now? Just wait til your favorite “influencers” flood TikTok.

…And it’ll all be a net positive for the sport at the end of the day.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
It’s Miami, and an inaugural race to boot. It’s not for the existing fans. Think it’s bad now? Just wait til your favorite “influencers” flood TikTok.

F1 has finally tapped into the American market and milking it for every dollar it can. Its been almost 30 years since we've had multiple races in the same season in the US... now we have three. :Cha-ching:

I still think the 'docked' boats and the beach areas are some of the dumbest things ever (I'll die on this hill), but as you've eluded to, there are going to be plenty of people that have paid top dollar to rip selfies all over them.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI

I'm worried the inaugural Vegas GP will end up like this, so I'll be looking at 2024 to possibly attend.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Shiiiiiit, Austin is still a mess; getting to and from the track is a nightmare from what I've heard.

First year races are like first year of a new car, there ARE going to be issues unforeseen and addressed in later races. Have they released any projected ticket prices for Vegas yet?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Shiiiiiit, Austin is still a mess; getting to and from the track is a nightmare from what I've heard.

First year races are like first year of a new car, there ARE going to be issues unforeseen and addressed in later races. Have they released any projected ticket prices for Vegas yet?
Helps to be a local, but they've changed the entry/exit strategy nearly every year, plus it's nearly as bad as Silverstone for just being in the middle of nowhere. Rumors have us not being on the calendar every year, likely moving to an every other year format soon. I suspect the three annual US GP's won't happen very often.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
You're probably right, three now for the sake of drumming up more popularity in the US and then rotate between the three in some fashion similar to what Germany did with Hockenheim and the Ring.

Even with all of these races in the US, I'd still rather go to a race overseas at this point. Especially when Miami ticket prices were shown, it was actually cheaper to fly to watch the race at the Hungaroring, than it would be to drive 4 hours to south FL.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Spa is next for me. Been to Silverstone, Austin, Indy and Hockenheim. I hear Montreal is great too, but I’m not a fan of Canadian Customs Officers.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Spa is next for me. Been to Silverstone, Austin, Indy and Hockenheim. I hear Montreal is great too, but I’m not a fan of Canadian Customs Officers.
You're not lying. I'm a divorced dad and made the mistake of not getting a notarized letter from my ex before attempting to cross the border from Upstate New York for the 2017 Canada GP with my sons. The Québécois agent examined my passport, eyeballed by sons, asked me to roll down the rear window, walks back to my oldest son in the rear seat, and his first words were, "Where's mommy?" (ugh)

It took about 20 minutes of him peppering my sons with questions and having them call their mother and having her speak with the agent before they let us cross.

But the circuit, the weather, the city, the food and the racing were amazing, and I don't recall the prices being too ridiculous.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
You're not lying. I'm a divorced dad and made the mistake of not getting a notarized letter from my ex before attempting to cross the border from Upstate New York for the 2017 Canada GP with my sons. The Québécois agent examined my passport, eyeballed by sons, asked me to roll down the rear window, walks back to my oldest son in the rear seat, and his first words were, "Where's mommy?" (ugh)

It took about 20 minutes of him peppering my sons with questions and having them call their mother and having her speak with the agent before they let us cross.

But the circuit, the weather, the city, the food and the racing were amazing, and I don't recall the prices being too ridiculous.
Yeah, sounds about right. I've been to something like 40 countries and Canada is the worst experience I've had with Customs. I had a college roommate get married in Ottawa, I was recently divorced, might have been deep into a drunken phase and have never been the best of planners. Large parts of this are at least partially my fault, but it was still a stupid experience.

So the plane lands, I hit Customs, they ask how long I'm there and what I'm doing there. I say a week, I'm here for a friend's wedding. They ask where I'm staying, where the wedding is, if I rented a car, etc. I say Ottawa, I don't really know the details, I have a rental car, but I don't remember which brand, I'll just start at the first in the line until someone knows who I am, I don't know where I'm staying, or where the wedding is, I'm just phoning my friend once I have the car and we'll meet up. They took me to "the room" and held me for three hours, asking all sorts of inane questions. Then they took me to another room and a guy was putting on rubber gloves. I told them I'd pay full price and fly my ass back to the US, they can keep their bad beer and poutine. They laughed and told me it was to check my laptop. Then they pulled up all of my photos, asked if the lady in lots of shots was my girlfriend, if the pics from Germany were mine (where I worked at the time), etc. It was the dumbest experience I've had for no real reason, they can keep their country, I'll go anywhere else.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah, sounds about right. I've been to something like 40 countries and Canada is the worst experience I've had with Customs. I had a college roommate get married in Ottawa, I was recently divorced, might have been deep into a drunken phase and have never been the best of planners. Large parts of this are at least partially my fault, but it was still a stupid experience.

So the plane lands, I hit Customs, they ask how long I'm there and what I'm doing there. I say a week, I'm here for a friend's wedding. They ask where I'm staying, where the wedding is, if I rented a car, etc. I say Ottawa, I don't really know the details, I have a rental car, but I don't remember which brand, I'll just start at the first in the line until someone knows who I am, I don't know where I'm staying, or where the wedding is, I'm just phoning my friend once I have the car and we'll meet up. They took me to "the room" and held me for three hours, asking all sorts of inane questions. Then they took me to another room and a guy was putting on rubber gloves. I told them I'd pay full price and fly my ass back to the US, they can keep their bad beer and poutine. They laughed and told me it was to check my laptop. Then they pulled up all of my photos, asked if the lady in lots of shots was my girlfriend, if the pics from Germany were mine (where I worked at the time), etc. It was the dumbest experience I've had for no real reason, they can keep their country, I'll go anywhere else.
That's fucking outrageous for them to go through the computer.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I think it makes sense. They're thwarting daily foreign schemes to steal the national maple syrup recipe. Can never be too careful.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I think I asked this before but if you don’t have cable how would you watch the race on Sunday?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I think I asked this before but if you don’t have cable how would you watch the race on Sunday?

F1TV is likely the easiest. $80/year.

Don't get tricked by the cheaper tier. They make it sound like the only difference between the two is the ability to watch live on the Pro tier, but really the catch is you can't watch on demand on TV Access until 48hr after the session ends -- nowhere does it say that. I had to eat $30 last year.