2022 Formula 1 Season

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
he will change his name to Zak Braun and keep working for a few more years

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
For those of you that don't have cable or want to stream the races, F1TV app is on Roku. Super easy to add the app to the Roku home screen.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Projected corner speeds and gear for Melbourne.

Below is what would have been the 2020 race.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
It will be interesting to see if any more overtaking will in fact happen due to the changes of the circuit.
Most notably, the insemination of "old" turns 9 and 10, and how some of the last few corners have been "stretched out" a bit.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I think with the slower T9-10 chicane gone, there's now a passing opportunity going into what was T11 (now T9); or what's more likely, follow as close as possible and utilize the following DRS zone into the new T11. Some other corners have been re-profiled, widened or even cambered a bit from what I've read. That penultimate corner onto the straight is definitely going to show whos car has the better low-speed grip and PU grunt. As an avid hater of the old layout (let me be), I'm stoked to see the new layout in action. Simulations predict 4-5 seconds faster than the old layout.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Wow, despite the chicane going away -- turning that stretch into a flat-out curve -- corner speeds for new T9 (old T11) are still lower than 2020. And I just don't understand how 2020 T16 and 2022 T14 can differ so wildly in speed. If that 75kph delta is accurate, just how much low end accel are these cars lacking? There's almost no room to accelerate between those two corners. Almost feels like the 200kph from 2020 is a typo.

Last edited:

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Wow, despite the chicane going away -- turning that stretch into a flat-out curve -- corner speeds for new T9 (old T11) are still lower than 2020. And I just don't understand how 2020 T16 and 2022 T14 can differ so wildly in speed. If that 75kph delta is accurate, just how much low end accel are these cars lacking? There's almost no room to accelerate between those two corners. Almost feels like the 200kph from 2020 is a typo.
They're heavier, simpler suspensions, and ground-effects vs. DF coming from mainly topside surfaces. Also, keep in mind the older layout shown was for what was going to be the 2020 race, and Mercedes had arguably the fastest car ever made that year. Here's the 2019 qualifying lap by Ham; no telemetry to see speed or anything, but he sure as fuck looks like he's could very well carry/build-up to that speed in that last corner.

Edit: just click on the link, F1 is a prick about their property.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
On second look, it looks like the speed delta is more due to the track changes. The 2020 track has a more gradual entry into T15 than the 2022 track allows for T13. That would allow the 2020 car to carry a lot more speed into that area. That makes more sense than it coming down strictly to downforce generation.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
FIA circuit map. Looks like the DRS detection zone 2 is probably just outside of the braking zone of T13, no DRS shenanigans?

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Interesting indeed. I want to see Redbull's rear suspension, how they're not porpoising (at least not that I saw) and yet still dragging the ass of that car around the track is impressive.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Ferrari with the worst porpoising but also the fastest cars? Interesting..

They don't call 'em Carlos "The Spine" Sainz and Charles "Iron Ass" Leclerc for nothin.