GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2021 Formula 1 Season

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I feel for Bottas, but I do think that Russell can do more with that Mercedes seat. He's absolutely shining at Williams, dragging that slow car to Q3 time after time.

It also looks like Giovinazzi is out and Nyck De Vries is in at Alfa.

Damn it, @It's Sam I've had to write my comment twice already because you keep swooping in.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Damn it, @It's Sam I've had to write my comment twice already because you keep swooping in.
lightningspeed.jpg

I'm mixed on it. I knew George would eventually end up there, but I always found him irritating, and I don't really know why.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Could be very interesting with Russel & Hamilton in the same team. Remember the fun & games Alonso & Hamilton had being teammates? Hamilton won't be around for that much longer. Benz needs another hot shoe.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Man, even I (a Hamilton fan) had to roll my eyes at the whining of Hamilton on the radio today.

Dude, Red Bull is better than Mercedes this year. Now you know how everyone else has felt the past 7 years. It's called adversity. Nut up and deal with it, homie.

Btw, Mercedes should have boxed Hamilton for softs around lap 52 of 72. It would have been a much closer finish.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Hamilton didn't sound any worse than other drivers in his position. Gotta love Bottas going for the fastest lap much to his teams distress. All in all a quite boring race. Looks like a fun track to drive, but not race on. Hope next years cars bring closer racing.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
In the worst kept secret in F1 Bottas announces he will go to Alfa. While Toto Wolf surprises no one by signing Russel. Is it me or did that take a looong time to announce that? Pretty sure Hamilton will now have a tougher time with his new teammate.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Hamilton didn't sound any worse than other drivers in his position. Gotta love Bottas going for the fastest lap much to his teams distress. All in all a quite boring race. Looks like a fun track to drive, but not race on. Hope next years cars bring closer racing.

Bottas was pitted on lap 70 for Softs and I thought I heard the engineers tell him to go for fastest lap. Then they called him at Sector 2, maybe midway through Sector 3 and said "please stop" after they remembered/realized Lewis needed the point.

as a red bull fan, i am pleased.

Max on the radio saying "what is he (hamilton) complaining about was golden.

I loved Alonso's "so I guess Verstappen won" radio call. Funny stuff.

In the worst kept secret in F1 Bottas announces he will go to Alfa. While Toto Wolf surprises no one by signing Russel. Is it me or did that take a looong time to announce that? Pretty sure Hamilton will now have a tougher time with his new teammate.

I wonder how willing GR will be to play second fiddle. Seems to me that he might be a bit more hungry (and maybe a bit more capable) than Bottas.

Last edited:

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
I wonder how willing GR will be to play second fiddle. Seems to me that he might be a bit more hungry (and maybe a bit more capable) than Bottas.

I'm curious too. Lewis will want to keep going for WDC wins until he retires, and Mercedes knows he can take them there as a constructor. I think Bottas was a great teammate since he could concede to team orders even if it took sacrifice of his own. George might get frustrated giving assists to lewis more than he may have hoped to.

Here's hoping that 2022 regs level out the playing field. Maybe Alfa will dominate and Valtteri brings home a World title.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I just don't understand why they pitted him with two laps to go on decent-ish tires if they didn't want him to go for FL. Makes no sense to me. Was funnier knowing that not only did he briefly have the FL after they told him to abort, that was also the track record until Hamilton did a faster lap.

as a red bull fan, i am pleased.

Max on the radio saying "what is he (hamilton) complaining about" was golden.
"probably tires again?" lmao, he was so calm. Hamilton did put in some good pressure every now and then, but MAx was just unflappable. Commanding drive.

Overall, I agree with y'all. Looks like a very fun track to drive on, but the race was a bit of a snore. It was fun to see Checo carve his way back through the pack. That's clearly his happy place, dispatching cars one after another. Alonso also made some great ground, and stole P6 from Sainz at the last minute. The Alpine isn't the best car, but he sure knows how to wring every bit of pace out of whatever he's driving, and then some.