Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
What a read man! Incredible

“But I think as we got to the first test, certainly into the second test, it became more clear that some others were in desperate disarray, mentioning no names.......

Lol Ferrari....

“The debate would then be how much to turn the engine up for Q3. I’d be getting it in the ear from Toto: ‘That’s too much, that’s too much’. And I’m thinking, ‘but if we don’t get pole, we’ll look like a right bunch of mugs’.

“So what number to pick that would do the job and knowing you didn’t want to err on the wrong way? So that was a big part of the discussion on Saturday afternoon. Nice chat to have.”

I be that was nice!

“In qualifying, we would never turn the engine up for Q1 and Q2. It was run in a sort of idle mode.” “
Actually that went on quite a long time,” he added. “Through most of 2014, that engine was never on full power for qualifying.”

Jesus Christ I really want them to loose this year

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Not an overly exciting race today. Bound to be a handful every season.

Verstappen hopping over Bottas at the restart was great. Ricciardo and Alonso were making some moves, after pitting for Hards. Solid performance from Pérez! Best of the season so far, actually. Norris continuing to be in the zone.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
1620010591113.png

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Not an overly exciting race today. Bound to be a handful every season.

Verstappen hopping over Bottas at the restart was great. Ricciardo and Alonso were making some moves, after pitting for Hards. Solid performance from Pérez! Best of the season so far, actually. Norris continuing to be in the zone.

Yeah the Alpine looked really good at the end.... I think Alonso will have a lot of fun this season....
Poor Sainz, but it was nice seeing Alonso breeze past the Ferrari......Also Lando on the Mclaren, he is flying.....
Once Riccardo is more comfortable... its not looking good for Ferrari... as always, Leclerc puts that dog of a car where it doesn't belong.

edit: Also, that track is just fantastic... so nice with the elevation changes, and although the race itself was boring, it wasn't the track... plenty of overtaking opportunities....
Hopefully its a regular venue for a while....

Last edited:

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
its not looking good for Ferrari... as always, Leclerc puts that dog of a car where it doesn't belong.
lol

cl.jpg

Mediocre weekend, but coming off the insanity of Bahrain and ER we were due for a mild sleeper. Interesting to see Mercedes picking the pace back up a little bit. I think RB still has the faster car this season by a fair amount, but I don't think max (and definitely not sergio) are as comfortable in it yet as they could be. Glad to see McLaren really getting comfortable. Danny Ric is finally starting to get used to the car and hopefully he and Lando can really start inching towards the podium.

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
I guess I'm the only one who feels Ferrari is actually returning a better performance than expected. They definitely can't fight for the top two in the constructors, but third or fourth isn't out of the question.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I guess I'm the only one who feels Ferrari is actually returning a better performance than expected. They definitely can't fight for the top two in the constructors, but third or fourth isn't out of the question.
Either that or their improved performance is actually the result to dumping Vettel.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Mclaren and Alpine are gonna slot right up ahead of them either way, they are ending 5th in the Constructor's this year....

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i

I still think Ferrari is doing better than last season for sure. Still not quite the level I expect from ferrari but better than last season by a little.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ferrari mention they are trying/tried to spend more time developing next year's platform instead of the SF21?

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I was listening to a podcast that was discussing the actual performance of Ferrari since their inception. If you look at the statistics, they are a very underperforming team. They have flashes of brilliance like the Schumacher, Lauda and other years, but as a whole Ferrari haven't performed up to their hype. For all their complaining, I kind of wish they would leave F1 when they actually threaten it.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ferrari mention they are trying/tried to spend more time developing next year's platform instead of the SF21?

That's just something F1 teams say when their car sucks that year.... *cough* HAAS *cough* .... The statement is just another variation of the Ferrari classic "next year will be our year"...

They just realized that when your car sucks so much you aren't even fighting with the top teams, then you have to change it up and use the HAAS excuse.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I was listening to a podcast that was discussing the actual performance of Ferrari since their inception. If you look at the statistics, they are a very underperforming team. They have flashes of brilliance like the Schumacher, Lauda and other years, but as a whole Ferrari haven't performed up to their hype. For all their complaining, I kind of wish they would leave F1 when they actually threaten it.

I still find it hilarious people think Ferrari actually had the faster car for large periods of the season in 2017 and 2018... they got close and in a few tracks actually had the upper hand in some race/weather conditions... but now knowing what we know, with the mess that is Ferrari, with strategy, etc, they never had a chance for the championship.

This year it looks the same with Red Bull.... Mercedes struggled in testing like never before, even more than 2018 but by the second race its clear they have the best car again, I dont think that was a one off...

Even if the Red Bull manages to match lap times or even be faster at times, i dont see it winning... its much slower, the Honda still has less power, the high rake makes it very draggy and slow in the straights...
So even with the faster times, all the merc needs to do is fly past it on the straight with DRS after a couple of laps to charging the ERS.

At least Red Bull is a much better team itself, better management, strategy, etc.... so at least they wont be fighting themselves like Ferrari... and they have Max.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I still find it hilarious people think Ferrari actually had the faster car for large periods of the season in 2017 and 2018... they got close and in a few tracks actually had the upper hand in some race/weather conditions... but now knowing what we know, with the mess that is Ferrari, with strategy, etc, they never had a chance for the championship.

This year it looks the same with Red Bull.... Mercedes struggled in testing like never before, even more than 2018 but by the second race its clear they have the best car again, I dont think that was a one off...

Even if the Red Bull manages to match lap times or even be faster at times, i dont see it winning... its much slower, the Honda still has less power, the high rake makes it very draggy and slow in the straights...
So even with the faster times, all the merc needs to do is fly past it on the straight with DRS and a couple of laps to charge the ERS.

At least Red Bull is a much better team itself, better management, strategy, etc.... so at least they wont be fighting themselves like Ferrari
I'm not so sure about this -- I'll wait to see how Spain and Monaco shake out.
Most of the drivers complained about the grip levels at Portimao -- compared it to ice skating. Max was certainly the loudest voice there. And in spite of that, Max had track position ahead of Hamilton. Max made a mistake coming out of a corner and Hamilton was able to capitalize on that due to his experience. I don't think Portimao proved that Merc have the better car -- it proved that they have the more consistent driver. Hamilton didn't even pull away from Max at all. Max finished ~29s behind Hamilton because RBR pulled him in for a fastest lap attempt, not due to the Merc's prowess.
We'll see how things shake out on tracks where everyone is comfortable and feels like they can do their best.