GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 mk 7 limiter?

Tastypoptart

Car(s)
volkswagen golf gti
I might be getting a new 2020 volkswagen golf gti soon and i had some questions,
1. What are the real horsepower numbers I've hear volkswagen sandbags their numbers
2. What is the top speed and does it have an electronic limiter like some of the older models
thanks

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes it has a speed limiter. Something like 122 MPH I think. But a tune can take care of that. My wheel HP stock was about 10% less than the advertised 228 crank HP. It's pretty easy to get to 300 wheel HP with a tune and a few mods. Lots of guys with over 400 HP.

And welcome to the forum.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Its 124mph.

It's because the NA spec GTI comes with shitty H rated tires. They're not rated for higher speeds, hence a mandatory govenor. It has a progressive fuel cut until you touch the limiter. You don't just bang up against it and get a 100% fuel cut. At 120 it's like you throw the parachute out back and have to drag yourself from 120-124.

Also, VW doesn't sand bag the numbers. They just give you power at the wheels so it is what it is.

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Actually, they're not giving power at the wheels, if they did, the DSG would have a higher rating as it's more efficient.
Like all of the Germans with turbocharged cars, they're giving a minimum number, probably calculated at 10k feet on a 107° degree day with no humidity. It just works out to be highly underrated for nearly every consumer, but they're being conservative.
H rated tires also tend not to flat spot as easily as higher speed rated tires, so Americans don't have to deal with the whoppa whoppa for the first few miles if you leave your car sitting for a few days. Even the MB S Class comes on H rated tires here for that reason.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Dude, it's for cost.

That's why the GTI comes with cheap tires. Not so they don't flat spot.
Is a V, Z or Y actually more expensive? It's an appropriate tire for the vast majority of buyers. Some of us obviously go for a much better tire, but 95% of GTI/R drivers probably never second guess the tire choice. The simple fact is that a tire like a Michelin 4S is standard on things like Porsches and M Cars, not VW's.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Higher speed rated tires are more expensive.

It's not that all H rated tires are shitty, but H rated performance tires (like the GTI comes with stock) are.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Higher speed rated tires are more expensive.

It's not that all H rated tires are shitty, but H rated performance tires (like the GTI comes with stock) are.

Tires that come on $25k-$42k cars generally are, no? Especially ones that aren't really sports cars. It would be nice if we had the summer tire option on trim levels other than Autobahn, but with Discount/America's Tire offering decent trade in on low mileage factory tires, it's not like it's a big deal. Sometimes I think people have very unrealistic expectations of what should come on factory cars. Even cars that are double or triple the price come on similar tires.

It looks like TireRack doesn't stock the A/S 3+ in H rated anymore, but I recall that it was about a $5 difference when I bought mine. I put the H rated (non Plus version) on my old Mazda 3 and they were certainly quieter and had better tread wear than the Y rated I have now. Of course that's not a fair comparison since they're two very different cars.

Sorry to derail OP's post. Yes, it has a governor in the mid 120 mph range, although it's probably at an indicated 130mph, which is more like a mid 120 mph true speed. Outside of Porsche though, every German car is governed to 155mph/250kph. The exception would be AMG, M and RS cars generally have an option to raise the governor to 186mph/300kph, but even then, they're still governed.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Never ceases to amaze me how most threads get off topic and derailed. This might be why new members post a thread and never post again.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Never ceases to amaze me how most threads get off topic and derailed. This might be why new members post a thread and never post again.
Is it really that derailed? Not like we're talking about toast or aliens. At least this one was tangentially related to the OP's question. This place is like Vortex with a sense of humor, that's fine with me.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is it really that derailed? Not like we're talking about toast or aliens. At least this one was tangentially related to the OP's question. This place is like Vortex with a sense of humor, that's fine with me.

OK but the OP just wanted to know if his car has a speed limiter and how much true HP it has.

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG