Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'12 Autobahn 2Dr 6mt

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I didn't watch it because I didn't have time but if he compared it like you said that's ridiculous.

I didn't watch the whole thing either bc it was a waste of time. He started out by saying it had a hood prop rod, and an exposed key hole in the driver door handle. Then he went on to complain about the screen and piano black trim.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Nearly all of the decontented bits happened with the Mk7.5, so there's certainly a larger delta between the Mk7 and Mk7.5 than there appears to be between the Mk7.5 and the Mk8.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'12 Autobahn 2Dr 6mt
I mean he just compared a base model 8 to a mk7 Golf R...
So I watched the whole thing and I agree with you. However, a brief search found the mk7 1.4 TSI came with hood struts and a padded/felt glove box lining. The mk7 1.4 TSI doesn't have piano black trim around the clusters. I don't think he's just aimlessly comparing, he even states at the end why he compared the way he did (and left certain things out). Is the Golf not known for being higher quality and more refined than its competitors?

I'm not advocating for the guy, there was some bias. But I think he has a half-decent point to be honest. When I was shopping for my GTI I remember reading something similar in regard to mk6 vs mk7 quality due to shaving off 100kg, with people saying the mk7 just didn't feel as sturdy or upscale, just faster and newer tech etc.

Ultimately though I understand this can be a subjective topic. Also correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
So I watched the whole thing and I agree with you. However, a brief search found the mk7 1.4 TSI came with hood struts and a padded/felt glove box lining. The mk7 1.4 TSI doesn't have piano black trim around the clusters. I don't think he's just aimlessly comparing, he even states at the end why he compared the way he did (and left certain things out). Is the Golf not known for being higher quality and more refined than its competitors?

I'm not advocating for the guy, there was some bias. But I think he has a half-decent point to be honest. When I was shopping for my GTI I remember reading something similar in regard to mk6 vs mk7 quality due to shaving off 100kg, with people saying the mk7 just didn't feel as sturdy or upscale, just faster and newer tech etc.

Ultimately though I understand this can be a subjective topic. Also correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

He refers to these little things as cost cutting measures, but he's comparing two completely different cars. One being top of the line trim, one not. Every manufacturer does things like this. New power trains and technology are more expensive than the previous versions. If the Golf/GTI costs 40k+ then nobody is going to buy it. Basic hood struts are not a big deal, you can get aftermarket ones for about $90. If it was a multi-position system like on a Mercedes then it would be different. And he was talking about the exposed key hole. I'd bet that most owners didn't know how to get in there car when it was covered(if the battery died). Non-enthusiasts are pretty dumb about cars. I would also think that car may not have had kessy, again the trim levels being different. I've also read that other people don't like the piano black because of finger prints and getting dirty. That used to be an upgrade in like an S550 Benz. You'd get designo leather with diamond pleats in it and full piano black trim. Most of that faux carbon or honey comb crap isn't any better to look at imo. Cars that have "wood" trim these days, it's literally like a paper thin piece that is adhered to the actual plastic part. My mk6 is decent but I would never call the interior upscale. Go check out a Maybach that has the executive seating package and the "wine cooler" in the trunk haha. And the sound system with rotating back lit tweeters in the front doors, or the fragrance system built into the climate control, heated armrests, the list goes on. It's a golf and that's why we like them. Fun/practical and not outrageously priced.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'12 Autobahn 2Dr 6mt
He refers to these little things as cost cutting measures, but he's comparing two completely different cars. One being top of the line trim, one not. Every manufacturer does things like this. New power trains and technology are more expensive than the previous versions. If the Golf/GTI costs 40k+ then nobody is going to buy it. Basic hood struts are not a big deal, you can get aftermarket ones for about $90. If it was a multi-position system like on a Mercedes then it would be different. And he was talking about the exposed key hole. I'd bet that most owners didn't know how to get in there car when it was covered(if the battery died). Non-enthusiasts are pretty dumb about cars. I would also think that car may not have had kessy, again the trim levels being different. I've also read that other people don't like the piano black because of finger prints and getting dirty. That used to be an upgrade in like an S550 Benz. You'd get designo leather with diamond pleats in it and full piano black trim. Most of that faux carbon or honey comb crap isn't any better to look at imo. Cars that have "wood" trim these days, it's literally like a paper thin piece that is adhered to the actual plastic part. My mk6 is decent but I would never call the interior upscale. Go check out a Maybach that has the executive seating package and the "wine cooler" in the trunk haha. And the sound system with rotating back lit tweeters in the front doors, or the fragrance system built into the climate control, heated armrests, the list goes on. It's a golf and that's why we like them. Fun/practical and not outrageously priced.
I mean, I used to valet and have driven a RR Ghost and Phantom... Sure those are "upscale" in the literal sense, but I'm comparing just the Golf platform and not 6 figure cars. At least in my humble opinion, I think the models have become undoubtedly lighter and more cost-effective through the generations, even at base trim (which I tried to highlight in my previous post). The mk7 I took, the 1.4, still had those simple features that a non-enthusiast simpleton might see as "luxury" because the Toyota or Honda that their mom's grandma's uncle drives doesn't have it. The Golf is known for being refined. Firm panels, soft touches, a thought-out interior. I think at least for it's class and for this specific model of car, quality has been trending down compared to previous generations. My $.02

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I mean, I used to valet and have driven a RR Ghost and Phantom... Sure those are "upscale" in the literal sense, but I'm comparing just the Golf platform and not 6 figure cars. At least in my humble opinion, I think the models have become undoubtedly lighter and more cost-effective through the generations, even at base trim (which I tried to highlight in my previous post). The mk7 I took, the 1.4, still had those simple features that a non-enthusiast simpleton might see as "luxury" because the Toyota or Honda that their mom's grandma's uncle drives doesn't have it. The Golf is known for being refined. Firm panels, soft touches, a thought-out interior. I think at least for it's class and for this specific model of car, quality has been trending down compared to previous generations. My $.02

I get it. It wasn't long ago that you had to have a separate DVD drive and purchase updated map discs for your navigation system. The stock head unit didn't mirror your google maps. There's a certain Mercedes model where they just deleted the hydraulic suspension system when the new car came out. The thing they certainly did not do was lower the MSRP! lol. That dude is trying to cash in on the likes/views plain and simple. Also, everybody since the beginning of time finds a way to dislike or criticize new cars coming out. One last thing, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maserati, they're not on the cutting edge of technology. That's all marketing, they're a few years behind, not only tech but in production. Germans had been using MOST technology for years and I saw a new continental GT that ran D2B optics. It was like seeing a cassette player lol

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'12 Autobahn 2Dr 6mt
I get it. It wasn't long ago that you had to have a separate DVD drive and purchase updated map discs for your navigation system. The stock head unit didn't mirror your google maps. There's a certain Mercedes model where they just deleted the hydraulic suspension system when the new car came out. The thing they certainly did not do was lower the MSRP! lol. That dude is trying to cash in on the likes/views plain and simple. Also, everybody since the beginning of time finds a way to dislike or criticize new cars coming out. One last thing, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maserati, they're not on the cutting edge of technology. That's all marketing, they're a few years behind, not only tech but in production. Germans had been using MOST technology for years and I saw a new continental GT that ran D2B optics. It was like seeing a cassette player lol
Wow you just sent my brain on a big throwback to the old Acura cars we had with the nav DVD system mounted in the trunk!

While at that old valet job years ago I drove a new-ish(?) Aston Martin DB9, still had a cassette player. You're definitely right!

Edit: I also agree about the new car thing. Every generation seems to complain the same...they don't make 'em like they used to! 🤣

FAS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
Whats everyones thoughts on the MK8. After owning all gens from MK1-MK7, still undecided if the MK8 will be purchased once its released. Will you be buying one?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Whats everyones thoughts on the MK8. After owning all gens from MK1-MK7, still undecided if the MK8 will be purchased once its released. Will you be buying one?
I wouldn't buy a first year, seems like they always add a lot more content and fix little things after the first year. Depending on weight and reviews, I'd consider a second year one.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
I'll be getting one but will wait after initial launch. Will get at launch if the prices are still pretty low, or i can find a low mileage used model.