GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 GTI mk8

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Incase anybody is interested, this is where the onboard footage was filmed, VW’s Ehra-lessien test facility in Germany, including (amongst every other surface and configuration imaginable) a 5.4mile straight with massive banked sections at either end.
BDD26FB3-A838-4D26-BDF1-096E15C11B65.jpeg

4E85881B-E0EC-48CB-80FC-C101FACDED18.jpeg

And how Bugatti make use of the fastest section,

Last edited:

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
White 2dr Mk6 GTI
To me it's just kind of a squished station wagon; not quite designed to be a hatchback, not quite long enough for a station wagon. I also feel like the design makes barely any statement to differentiate from modern crossovers. But those seats... I have plans for those seats. IF they look like the ones I've seen in the reveal videos

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I had warmed up to the mk8's styling, but then I learned that there would be no physical buttons in the car.... only touch screens. I don't think I can live with that.

Not everything needs a physical button, but at least the most commonly used functions.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'12 Autobahn 2Dr 6mt
I had warmed up to the mk8's styling, but then I learned that there would be no physical buttons in the car.... only touch screens. I don't think I can live with that.

Not everything needs a physical button, but at least the most commonly used functions.
Still not sold on the styling but having all touch controls would be numb/sensationless. The golf/GTI/R has already been softened and dampened so much starting around the mk5, would be a shame for this platform to become bland.

The exterior shape honestly resembles some of the new Toyota lineup :(

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I remember back in 07 when the new iPhone came out and it was all touch screen o_O. A friend of mine got one and I was very against the new technology. Now I wouldn't want a phone any other way. Apple removed the physical home button on the 7. How stupid I thought. I have a 7 and I don't miss the home button.

I am not an initial fan of this button less future but if it works well then I am sure people will grow to like it.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'12 Autobahn 2Dr 6mt
I remember back in 07 when the new iPhone came out and it was all touch screen o_O. A friend of mine got one and I was very against the new technology. Now I wouldn't want a phone any other way. Apple removed the physical home button on the 7. How stupid I thought. I have a 7 and I don't miss the home button.

I am not an initial fan of this button less future but if it works well then I am sure people will grow to like it.
Very true. At the end of the day it's all about enhancing the user experience. We adapted to those changes, albeit begrudgingly at first, partly because everything else worked so well. I'm sure it will be a similar timeline for the new mk8.

Also +1 to the iPhone 7 gang.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Very true. At the end of the day it's all about enhancing the user experience. We adapted to those changes, albeit begrudgingly at first, partly because everything else worked so well. I'm sure it will be a similar timeline for the new mk8.

Also +1 to the iPhone 7 gang.

It might be because we don't have a choice or maybe the technology is actually good after all 🤷‍♂️.

My iPhone 7 has been great. I have been inconvenienced by not having a headphone jack but I still use wired headphones. Have you updated to iOS 13? I did a few weeks ago and my battery is really not liking it.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
It might be because we don't have a choice or maybe the technology is actually good after all 🤷‍♂️.

My iPhone 7 has been great. I have been inconvenienced by not having a headphone jack but I still use wired headphones. Have you updated to iOS 13? I did a few weeks ago and my battery is really not liking it.

I have the xr and it's pretty good. I've got two pair of wireless headphone/buds so I haven't used a wired set in a while. The touch controls in the car are ok as long as they work. The Cadillac system was a POS, I couldn't even figure out how I was supposed to touch/press on it. Mercedes starting using some touch pads in the console maybe 5 years ago. Even then they had some mechanical backup controls. This made some things redundant and even more confusing to navigate the million options/settings etc. They started using some of the touch controls on the steering wheel when the latest E class came out in 2017. They were pretty usable. I'm sure they have integrated more now and voice control etc. As long as the stuff works good, I don't think I would mind. The big digi displays I like a lot, def would want that in a mk7 R if I had one.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Sure do like my button-less iPhone. Sure think it is a stupid idea for a car. You can't operate your phone without looking at it. This car will be the same, eyes off the road to adjust anything.

Very true and if they don't implement it well it will be a disaster to try and adjust the temperature. Maybe the gesture control like BMW has. Or the "hey Mercedes". In high school I could send a text under my desk on my cell phone using T9. Can't do that with a modern smartphone.

I have the xr and it's pretty good. I've got two pair of wireless headphone/buds so I haven't used a wired set in a while. The touch controls in the car are ok as long as they work. The Cadillac system was a POS, I couldn't even figure out how I was supposed to touch/press on it. Mercedes starting using some touch pads in the console maybe 5 years ago. Even then they had some mechanical backup controls. This made some things redundant and even more confusing to navigate the million options/settings etc. They started using some of the touch controls on the steering wheel when the latest E class came out in 2017. They were pretty usable. I'm sure they have integrated more now and voice control etc. As long as the stuff works good, I don't think I would mind. The big digi displays I like a lot, def would want that in a mk7 R if I had one.

My wife has the XR and she loves it. The facial recognition works great and that is the part I was not sure about. Same with the fingerprint scanner when that came out and I love it now...but it works.

Agree, as long as the stuff works good I don't think I will mind. Now piano black is kinda an issue cause it looks like poop after you touch it.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'12 Autobahn 2Dr 6mt

I updated to iOS 13.4.1 a few days ago and it flies through my battery. Although, I snagged a deal on AirPods from a friend who works at Best Buy so I've only recently graduated from being salty about the headphone jack haha. I love my 7 but when I do need to upgrade the new iPhone SE (2020 version not the old one) looks like a great replacement. iPhone 7 platform with the 11 Pro Max processor and more ram!

Sure do like my button-less iPhone. Sure think it is a stupid idea for a car. You can't operate your phone without looking at it. This car will be the same, eyes off the road to adjust anything.
The thing is, even on the "button-less iPhone" you STILL have physical buttons for On/Off and Volume up/down. Even with the latest 11 Pro Max. The essential functions are still push-button, just like a car should be IMO.

This. Like I said, it's all about enhancing user experience and if done right, people will gradually adopt it. My parents have a 2018 Merc C300 and have complained about the media interface since they bought it. Admittedly, it is a bit confusing at first. But once you get the hang of it, I think it streamlines some of the routine functions we look for. What's worse is the interface on their 2016 Acura ILX, not sure what Acura was thinking on that one! 🤣

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
iPhone SE (2020 version not the old one) looks like a great replacement. iPhone 7 platform with the 11 Pro Max processor and more ram!

Oh I didn't know that was a thing. I just checked it out and I like that. The X was available when I got my 7 but after seeing the price was like no thanks.

Acura has been lacking lately but I am excited about the the Type S concept. They need to put that CTR engine in more stuff and that would be a great place.