GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 GTI mk8

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
MK8 very mehhh.

Kinda feels like when I had an iPhone 5 and every year the latest version didn't seem dramatically better to me to warrant upgrading.

Since my MK6 Autobahn is paid off I guess I should invest in a few more reasonable mods now!

Phur

Drag Race Newbie
My MK6 is long ago paid for so now it's like driving a free car. I plan on doing that for a long time. It's one of my favorite cars that I've owned. When it's used up I'll cherry pick a nice MK7. Don't think I could ever get over the glass dash & all the nannies on a MK8.

I’m hoping that I can keep mine going until I can afford a TTRS. [emoji1786]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blakcard

Go Kart Champion
for some reason (bmw lights aside) front end reminds me of the Beetle.. the shape is both rounder and crisper.. pass.

I'd take the MK7.5 at this point if i ever gave up my MK6 (doubtful). Like some already said.. paid for. works for me.
I don't like a digital display. They tried that in the 80's & 90's (Not VW i don't think) Buick i think had the most extensive.

csumt76

Drag Racing Champion
I like it... My biggest gripe is the fake quad exhaust they stole off an E63... Everybody's doing it tho so it must be cool

Carlosfandang0

Drag Racing Champion
Ride
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I like it... My biggest gripe is the fake quad exhaust they stole off an E63... Everybody's doing it tho so it must be cool
As seen in the spy shot below the mk8 GTi exhaust will remain the same as the current mk7,
429641E2-3CF0-4345-8801-CB4ACED2891D.jpeg

the fake exhaust tips you refer to are not actually hollow, they’re more of a design element, and (in Europe at least) feature on several of the current golf models such as the R-Line.

csumt76

Drag Racing Champion
As seen in the spy shot below the mk8 GTi exhaust will remain the same as the current mk7 the fake exhaust tips you refer to are not actually hollow, they’re more of a design element, and (in Europe at least) feature on several of the current golf models such as the R-Line.
Yes yes I know but that is not a production vehicle.

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 11.44.40 PM.png

Carlosfandang0

Drag Racing Champion
Ride
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Recent first drive video,
Note: see at 6:47 that the lower ball socket and bracket for the hydraulic bonnet stay is still in place just above the coolant reservoir just like the Mk7!

torga

Autocross Newbie
Ride
'11 GTI
Here's the Mk8 Golf R, undisguised. Gotta say, I much, much prefer the looks of the Mk7.5 GTI and R compared to this. The Mk8 styling looks more "mini SUV/crossover" than "hot hatch" to me. If I'm looking for an upgraded daily in the future, I'll be looking at a used Mk7.5 R.

Carlosfandang0

Drag Racing Champion
Ride
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Not completely un-disguised I suspect, the circled area clearly has white vinyl covering it, and there are probably other areas including the mirror caps which are unlikely to be body coloured on the R.
5D8531C2-F40C-4D9C-8B6B-1EBAA14B1415.jpeg

Sandman GTI

Go Kart Champion
Bet the Pretoria wheels are on only for testing.
250Hp will be my guess also as this would match the base Hyundai N.
A PP car with 270Hp would be nice.

But at 250hp is this a MK7/7.5 GTI engine or would it be more like a VW R engine with stronger internals?
VW R internals would be great, but if no different than current GTI, then 250hp is an easy tune that many people do anyway so not much help.
The better internals would be a very nice change on a GTI. Clubsport S like.

Sandman GTI

Go Kart Champion
Here's the Mk8 Golf R, undisguised. Gotta say, I much, much prefer the looks of the Mk7.5 GTI and R compared to this. The Mk8 styling looks more "mini SUV/crossover" than "hot hatch" to me. If I'm looking for an upgraded daily in the future, I'll be looking at a used Mk7.5 R.

Looks better than some other pics but in white the lower side pieces make is look like a mustache!

GolNat

Drag Racing Champion
I like the MK8. I think they did a good job at balancing the old and new without going to crazy with the looks.

I'm no designer but trying to capture the history while also making it more modern sounds difficult. Can't change it too much but you need to make it newer.

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
I personally feel like the design looks closer to the MKVI than the MKII. Not a bad looking car, just looks more like another half generation update. A bit "soft". Its a bit of a move from Apple, their phone designs and content have not changed much in the last 6 years and they have been losing sales because of it.

GTE and Clubsport look more aggressive than the slightly disguised R we just got photos of. They are going to really need to bump up the aggressive design language on the R to get it to sell over a GTI with a tune.

KevinC

Autocross Newbie
Ride
'19 Golf R, '08 Z4MC
We go through this with every new generation - a crapload of people cry "EWWWWW!" and hate the new design - until the final product sees the light of day, then they see it in the flesh, and it's suddenly at least "ok" or more likely, they actually like it. I strongly suspect this will happen all over again.

The problem I have with the Mk8 is the interior. It's a disaster. Touch & slider controls everywhere - which have already been widely rejected by customers globally.

csumt76

Drag Racing Champion
We go through this with every new generation - a crapload of people cry "EWWWWW!" and hate the new design - until the final product sees the light of day, then they see it in the flesh, and it's suddenly at least "ok" or more likely, they actually like it. I strongly suspect this will happen all over again.

The problem I have with the Mk8 is the interior. It's a disaster. Touch & slider controls everywhere - which have already been widely rejected by customers globally.
I agree, you can always go to the ROW websites and look at them. I'm a fan of the digital dashes etc, but some of the touch controls are a bit too much. Imagine having a 75 yr old guy trying to use a touch sensitive controller in a S class. They already hated it because there were too many buttons on the dash. Ever tried the cadillac system that controls audio and climate control? I never figured out where exactly I needed to press on something. Didn't matter if it was a 2015 or 2019.. Throw in a configurable hud, 500 lighting settings, 15 safety systems, a reverse camera mirror, built in air freshener, massage seats, heated arm rests. No wonder customers don't know how to open or close the air vents lol