GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf R 8 spotted.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That thing is hideous, and it looks cheap as hell. It's like some kind of Walmart special off-brand toy up front with a dollar store LED array flashlight on each side.

As well, any German manufacturer releasing those wheels in 2020 has some gigantic balls. It's going to piss people off, and then all the hippies will be pressuring wheel manufacturers about design.

They need to think about that sort of thing. Anyone looking at those knows they're courting controversy.

Everything inside looks cheap, as well. The steering wheel alone is fifteen steps behind what I've got in my 7.5 right now. It's just some disjointed, half-baked mess of a modern art project in there. Reminds me of the sort of coach-class nonsense you'd expect out of Mitsubishi; the forgotten manufacturer of automobiles that, for some unfathomable reason hasn't completely rotted just yet...

...except, Mitsubishi stuff actually has a bit more class. Never thought I'd say that.

The controls inside look like the extra features on a $32 Chinese gaming keyboard from 2006.

Oh come on. Tell us how you really feel.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
With Personal thoughts on how I feel about the mk8 aside, it makes me chuckle to read some of the comments expressing disgust at the design, somewhere back in the early mk8 threads there was a link or two posted to some of the mk6 threads expressing the same opinions of the Mk7, many of the user names had become mk7 owners by that point and opinions were now firmly in the Mk7 camp. ?

here’s one of those threads, look familiar??
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk6-vs-mk7-my-simple-auto-show-comparison.265984/

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I don't understand what is so controversial about the wheels.
Going by an earlier post, some appear to think they look like a swastika ?, I’m guessing they don’t know what one looks like!!

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Going by an earlier post, some appear to think they look like a swastika ?, I’m guessing they don’t know what one looks like!!
Yeah, that's a far reach.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Oh come on. Tell us how you really feel.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's got something to do with nerves. I just never could figure out how that worked.

Your fingertips gather data, obviously; but it's coming from a kajillion nerve endings at once. Somehow that ends up in your brain, which manages to sort it all out while running everything else at the same time.

What's the bandwidth of the human spinal cord, for crying out loud? How do so many separate signals make it from one end to another even remotely coherently?

I mean... Are there separate nodes in various places that encode all that input into a single signal before it hits the cord?

It's pretty amazing, when you think about it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If they'd just fix the underside of those headlights, it'd look really good.
It appears the DRL is only under the outboard headlights. VW should have put an LED strip under the inboard lights as well, like on the 7.0, to differentiate from the GTI. That's one styling touch I like on mine.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
It appears the DRL is only under the outboard headlights. VW should have put an LED strip under the inboard lights as well, like on the 7.0, to differentiate from the GTI. That's one styling touch I like on mine.
Who knows what they will actually do with the DRL’s on the production R, maybe something additional like the Mk7 R DRL’s!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's got something to do with nerves. I just never could figure out how that worked.

Your fingertips gather data, obviously; but it's coming from a kajillion nerve endings at once. Somehow that ends up in your brain, which manages to sort it all out while running everything else at the same time.

What's the bandwidth of the human spinal cord, for crying out loud? How do so many separate signals make it from one end to another even remotely coherently?

I mean... Are there separate nodes in various places that encode all that input into a single signal before it hits the cord?

It's pretty amazing, when you think about it.
If the people studying this figure out a way to put it in a robot we're in trouble. I think the impulses all go individually from each nerve ending directly to the brain center that handles those types of impulses, e.g., pain, hot, cold, and depending on what the nerve endings "feel" the brain sends back the appropriate response. I think the best supercomputers can only play chess, and even then humans can beat them. And that's playing a game that is merely determining the correct math equation for a particular move.

I recently found out something else I thought was amazing. We were at our eye doctor for our annual exam. He told us that if you removed the lens from your eye and put it in a camera, even if you have excellent uncorrected vision, the images would be blurry. I assume he's taking into consideration the lens is "set" to the best shape for clarity. He said it's the brain that takes these blurry signals and makes them into the sharp images you perceive to see .

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

I've always thought these look very close to a 5 legged swastika :eek:

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/2015_vw_golf_gti_rim_lg.jpg

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I think that the DRL's on the Mk.8 Golf R could be like the TRoc R .
https://images.app.goo.gl/BgWqvjw461Mpt72b8

Yes, this would have helped immensely - and I would probable like the MK8 if it had a similar lower fascia.
That TRoc R is quite attractive.
The problem with the MK8 GTI is that it looks like it has no jaw.
Just a gaping maw, that isn't even framed well - except for those black plastic parenthesis which don't help much at all.
There's no suggestion of strength, brake cooling, or that much overused term - aggressiveness.