GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 FORMULA 1 SEASON

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
As much as didn't like the Ferrari/Schumacher dominance, I think the one of the most interesting things is seeing if the Hamilton/Mercedes can break their records.
I guess that also plays into my dislike of Ferrari. I have respect for what they have accomplished throughout their history, but jeez, they can't get out of their own way. I've said this before, they need an organized Frenchman to run the team and insulate them from the Tifosi, a brilliant tech department led by an Englishman and a German to lead the team and drive.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Sucks that Hamilton took that pit stop. He would have been the outright winner today by a huge margin.
And
Gasly with his “We did it!” at the end was only complimented by the penalty...blah blah...

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Man I hate to see such a stupid penalty. Pretty sure Lewis & Giovinazzi were looking where they were going, not on the other side of the track for a light. They need a light on the side the pit entry is on. Lewis did a pretty decent job of carving back up through the field.

Great to see Gasly snatch his first win. I was rooting for both Gasly & Sainz. I really wanted Big Mc to score a win.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
As much as didn't like the Ferrari/Schumacher dominance, I think the one of the most interesting things is seeing if the Hamilton/Mercedes can break their records.
I guess that also plays into my dislike of Ferrari. I have respect for what they have accomplished throughout their history, but jeez, they can't get out of their own way. I've said this before, they need an organized Frenchman to run the team and insulate them from the Tifosi, a brilliant tech department led by an Englishman and a German to lead the team and drive.

I despise Ferrari for those years as well and those records WILL be broken ;). But to be fair, I prefer the way they run their road car division than, say, McLaren.

As a Lewis fan, I'm actually glad he got that penalty to practice his not-often-used overtaking skills and let us see what a reverse grid could look like haha. What isn’t t fair is Stroll getting P3 because of that pit under the red flag. As Lando said, they got to pit and lose nothing.

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Man I hate to see such a stupid penalty. Pretty sure Lewis & Giovinazzi were looking where they were going, not on the other side of the track for a light. They need a light on the side the pit entry is on. Lewis did a pretty decent job of carving back up through the field.

Great to see Gasly snatch his first win. I was rooting for both Gasly & Sainz. I really wanted Big Mc to score a win.

Not exactly sure why pit lane was closed, but what I feel is stupid is the fact no one in the pit wall or paddock got the warning it was closed. Someone in Brackley saw it from Lewis’ feed.

They rely purely on two signs placed where drivers prolly aren’t looking (like you said) or are at a part of the track where drivers are changing settings on their wheel for an impending pit stop.

Stops are usually planned earlier than the last corner. Either give everyone a warning or put signs/wave flags that it closed much earlier.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
They need to do something about a free pit stop being given. If not for that Norris would have been third. So there are two things that need fixing. A light visible at pit entry & no tire changes while under red flag conditions.

No idea why the marshals chose to push Mag into pit lane. They could have pushed his car back 15 feet or so & there would have been no need for a closed pit at all. Kind of a stupid move IMO. Also when Leclerc crashed the marshals just stood there for what seemed like a minute before moving. I didn't get that either.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
I despise Ferrari for those years as well and those records WILL be broken ;). But to be fair, I prefer the way they run their road car division than, say, McLaren.

As a Lewis fan, I'm actually glad he got that penalty to practice his not-often-used overtaking skills and let us see what a reverse grid could look like haha. What isn’t t fair is Stroll getting P3 because of that pit under the red flag. As Lando said, they got to pit and lose nothing.

What's your take on the McLaren road car side of things?

They need to do something about a free pit stop being given. If not for that Norris would have been third. So there are two things that need fixing. A light visible at pit entry & no tire changes while under red flag conditions.

No idea why the marshals chose to push Mag into pit lane. They could have pushed his car back 15 feet or so & there would have been no need for a closed pit at all. Kind of a stupid move IMO. Also when Leclerc crashed the marshals just stood there for what seemed like a minute before moving. I didn't get that either.

Agreed on those changes. And nobody can really argue that people just want a more visible pit lane closure notification because it screwed over Lewis; poor notifications defeat the purpose of closing the pit lane which is a safety issue.

I think the reason why marshals didn't go to him immediately is they didn't want any people or vehicles in the runoff area while there were still cars out on track at speed so there's no chance of another Bianchi-esque incident. Not 100% sure though.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I was listening to a podcast, either BBC Checkered Flag or Autosport, and they said the marshals didn’t pull the car behind the barrier because there was a yellow line at the stand indicating the area was too small for a car to be safely placed there. Don’t know how true it is but makes sense.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
Oh, and one other interesting thought I had during/after the race:

Bottas clearly had cooling issues throughout the race as he was stuck in traffic, but did Lewis have the same issues when moving back through the field for the last 20 laps or so? A couple interesting points on that is during the red flag, Merc took the engine cover off of Lewis' car, but never touched Valtteri's. Wonder what they were doing. Additionally, just before they got rolling again for the formation lap for the restart, Lewis said something along the lines of, "I guess we'll just go for it and take the risk." What risk? My only guess is he had the potential for the same cooling issues but pushed hard to get some points at the risk of an engine failure. Would definitely like some more details on the difference between the two Mercs.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
I believe the “risk” that Lewis was inferring was, that they were running HARD compound tires.