GOLFMKV

2020 FORMULA 1 SEASON

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Another! https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/25615

Can we skip 2020? I can’t wait that long lol
Huh, really? I was hearing rumors that Liberty wanted Wolff up at the top as CEO of the whole thing. Haven't heard rumors about what Toto wants, though. Hamilton and Toto at Ferrari... what a pair. I just hope it doesn't end up like Alonso at Ferrari; that was supposed to be an era of greatness.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Damn, well wouldn't that be something?
McLaren had a decent season this year, so imagine if that trend continues...
If Hammy does move to Ferrari I'd be excited to see the dynamic between him and Lec.

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
I would agree that if Hamilton were to move to Ferrari, 2021 would be the ideal time to do so. If Mercedes doesn't do a great job with the 2021 car it will impact Lewis's ability to win races, and that would ultimately impact his value/marketability to other teams. That being said, I don't see Mercedes doing a bad job with the new car and Mercedes would protect Lewis's place as the top driver in a way Ferrari never would.

Hamilton will have to decide when and how he wants to end his career, and if he is willing to take any risks along the way.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
If Mercedes doesn't do a great job with the 2021 car it will impact Lewis's ability to win races, and that would ultimately impact his value/marketability to other teams.

Lol, kinda what's happening to Seb at the moment.....

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Lol, kinda what's happening to Seb at the moment.....
I was going to rush in and say that also happened to Alonso... but RBR between 2010-2013 were truly on form, with 2011-2013 being clearly dominant. I'm a firm believer that how close Alonso came to the title in 2010 and 2012 is purely a testament to his driving skill rather than a testament to Ferrari's engineering. Whereas, I'm more prepared to attribute Vettel's 2010-2013 success more to RBR and Newey, because that truly was a stellar team of designers, though Vettel is a talented driver.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
For sure Alonso's Ferrari years made me a fan... 2010 and 2012 definitely made him look better than worse...

Especially seeing Massa struggle in the sister car during that time.... i had thought he was the next be thing when schumi was retiring.....

He was relentless, brought that dog of a Ferrari withing inches of the title when it looked impossible....

But the racing was much closer back then, you never knew who was going to win until near the end when RBR somehow made it to the top......

2014+ F! is Mercedes in F1 vs everyone else in F1.5, that meme is not too far off... Ferrari has been playing catch up the entire time....

Because of that their car design, strategy, etc is always wild-card, nothing was ever straight forward... so Vettel in a way could never feel comfortable in that environment...

His mistakes are mostly out of desperation.... he is fast but he is really is impatient...

On the other hand, I never saw Alonso have a slump at all the entire time he was in F1, he is a machine

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Alonso is for sure my favorite driver right now. Really rooting for him to win Indy and finally join Graham Hill on the unofficial Triple Crown pedestal. Tangentially, anyone ever noticed how Graham Hill looked like an old-timey dastardly villain? Dude could've been Snidely Whiplash.
Anyway, yeah. Alonso was always performing far and above. Kinda random point but man, I think Räikkönen is an great driver and he deserved all the success he got, but he would not have won the 2007 WDC if Hamilton and Alonso could've stopped being children over at McLaren for one literal second.
One of my favorite things Alonso said was in 2005 after his insane overtake on Schumacher at Suzuka's 130R. A reporter asked him how he felt so sure that he'd make the pass. He said something along the lines of, "well, Michael has two kids so I felt I could trust him". Fucking brutal.