GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 FORMULA 1 SEASON

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I saw Ted Kravitz saying this morning that the suit Romain was wearing gave him 20 seconds of protection. The gloves give 10 seconds. Reports say he was in the fire for 18 seconds. That explains his hand burns. Man is that ever cutting it close. So thankful he survived.

That 20-secs of protection was new for 2020. Holy! Had this happen last year...

Well damn that sucks. I wonder who will be the sub will be & how they will do.

Stoffel and Esteban are their subs. Stoffel is racing in FE right now but will fly to Bahrain after, though it's not confirmed he will be the replacement. Esteban can't because he doesn't have enough points for a SuperLicense. Be nice if Russell could and show what he's really capable of.

The better question is how Lewis got it. According to Merc, Lewis' sub-bubble is only 3 people.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
18 seconds......I remember when they stated that. Man, it felt like an eternity before he came out of there.......

The better question is how Lewis got it. According to Merc, Lewis' sub-bubble is only 3 people.

False positive to keep him from breaking another record this weekend? lol

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
The fact he sat back down and was at peace with himself before accepting he was going to die... and he named too.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
WOW! I have been watching F1 for 25+ years and haven't seen a car burst into flames like that in MANY years. Glad Grojean wasn't seriously hurt. If he has broken ribs like first reports suggest, I would think he has raced his last F1 race. This should silence any critics of the HALO.
Broken ribs shouldn't stop him. IIRC, Alonso had a couple of broken ribs after his big roll at Albert Park (foggy on this one), and he certainly had a collapsed lung. I believe he missed two races, and was back up and running.
I really hope Grosjean's hands aren't too hurt. Amazing how quickly he got out of there -- any longer and who knows what could've happened.
Some news this morning.

HAAS announces they signed Mick Schumacher.
Russell to replace Hamilton for Sakhir.
RG out of hospital.

Not a bad morning.
I'm actually really excited about Russell getting into the Merc. All over the internet, I see people suggesting he's gonna be the next big thing, get him in a good car, etc. I mean, he has certainly been beating his teammates at Williams handily, first Kubica and now Sirotkin. But as far as I'm concerned, that's just a slightly faster turtle -- Williams are still happy to break P15 on Sunday. Hopefully nerves don't get the better of him and we get to see what he can really do.

I really hope that the F1 world as a whole can reign in their expectations of Mick. I'm incredibly glad he's getting his F1 chance, but I HOPE the world doesn't immediately pile on 7 times WDC expectations onto him. I wasn't huge into F1 when Bruno Senna was racing, but I imagine he experienced a lot of that. Maybe it burned him out of F1 earlier than he would have hoped.

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
Russell has been pulling an Alonso of sorts this season by out qualifying his competition with a slower car, and then due to poorer race pace finishing in the back of the pack. If he can get comfortable with the Merc in time for the race, I think he will do quite well.

As for Mick, his fate hinges on the power unit. If Ferrari can't make it competitive between the end of this season and the start of 2021 I don't see him doing anything exceptional. Ferrari and Haas have gotten the aero wrong two years in a row, and when you compound that with the weak power unit you get a car that is fighting for 15th instead of fighting for being the best of the rest. The one thing Mick will have to ensure he does is to outperform Mazepin.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Wow, so impressed with Russell. P2 in a car he doesn’t fit in.
All they gotta do is replace their DAS system with his legs. He can change toe with his toes.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Speaks volumes of how good he is. No wonder Alonso thinks he’s the best of his batch. Not even a week of learning a new car (and smaller boots) and he pulls out those laps against Bottas.

Dear RedBull, that’s what a worthy teammate should be able to do in qualifying.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Speaks volumes of how good he is. No wonder Alonso thinks he’s the best of his batch. Not even a week of learning a new car (and smaller boots) and he pulls out those laps against Bottas.

Dear RedBull, that’s what a worthy teammate should be able to do in qualifying.
1607232219943.png

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I’ve been so pumped for this race, I saw Mick almost lose it to Illot 4 hours earlier 🤪

GP start didn’t disappoint! Russell FTW!!!

Last edited: