GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 VW Tiguan

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
What are your guys thoughts on this car? To me it just seems like they are asking too much money for what you get? Car is real underpowered and gas mileage doesn't seem to be all that great either. Can these even be tuned?

Anyone own this car? I've thought about this car maybe as a second car in the future but then I look at the fuel mileage and I look at the performance and the cost to get it how I'd want it... just makes less and less sense.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
2018 SEL w/4 motion (wife's car). $30k seemed very reasonable for the quality, comfort and size. It's not fast, but never feels underpowered. Gets much better gas mileage than rated; she averages 27mpg in mixed driving and we've gotten 33mpg or so on road trips. Test drive one.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Girl has the 2018 Tig SEL. It’s been awesome to us and I also wouldn’t call or underpowered. Engine is the EA888 Gen3b which is a slightly more economical tuned version of our Ea888 Gen3.

For the size and power I find the MPG to be great. The MQB Tiggy is a lot bigger than the previous generations. I feel right at home in it compared to my GTI.

We have been happy with the purchase.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
APR is still trying to crack the security on the Budak cycle Ea888 3gen, which has the same security as some other Audi engine families.

I heard Neuspeed power module works, but one of the connections is a little tight on the cable length.

The Biguan is around the top of the class for length in this segment, which allows for the kids only 3rd row, but with a funky shaped cargo floor cover.

Arin@APR said:
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...PR-flash&p=108280626&viewfull=1#post108280626
No updates. For what it's worth, this family of ECU (MG1) is shared by a couple vehicles:

2.0T B, or Miller Cycle Engines (Tiguan, A3 FWD, B9 A4 Low output in Europe) --- The gen 3 engines with a MAF sensor and intake valve lift.
3.0T Single Turbo Engines (B9 S4/S5/SQ5)
2.9T Twin Turbo Engines (B9 RS4/RS5)

When you see us offering software for any of those platforms, we'll be much closer.

Last edited:

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
2018 SEL w/4 motion (wife's car). $30k seemed very reasonable for the quality, comfort and size. It's not fast, but never feels underpowered. Gets much better gas mileage than rated; she averages 27mpg in mixed driving and we've gotten 33mpg or so on road trips. Test drive one.

I think you're right, I'll have to test drive one, but I realistically won't be looking to buy until 2020+ anyways... unless I find a money tree or win the lotto :D

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
What are your guys thoughts on this car? To me it just seems like they are asking too much money for what you get? Car is real underpowered and gas mileage doesn't seem to be all that great either. Can these even be tuned?

Anyone own this car? I've thought about this car maybe as a second car in the future but then I look at the fuel mileage and I look at the performance and the cost to get it how I'd want it... just makes less and less sense.

I'm a huge fan...
My neighbour has a 2.0 TSI (230PS) in R-Line trim.

Do VWOA not offer you this configuration over the pond?

daisoma

Passed Driver's Ed
As a second car yes it's totally the right choice. My wife doesn't give a single damn about performance and the size of it makes family trips a breeze. It scores highly on safety except the led headlights with is aimed too low from factory but a simple turn of a screwdriver fixes that.

Few things to consider it takes regular gas 87 Oct, 1500lbs towing capacity, 3rd row is useless unless you have really small kids.

Even with the few recalls I have zero regrets

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
My wife has a '17 Tig and the lease is up later in the year.
We fully plan on getting another Tiguan (maybe an Atlas).
I think they used to be a little over priced but starting with the new model I think they are more in line.
The sticker on her current Tiguan was right around $30k and it really does not have much in terms of features.
The new Tiguan SEL (the one we would get) has a sticker that is just over $31k and has digital dash, auto climate, remote start, power lift gate, adaptive cruise control and parking sensors.
So in other words, a crazy amount of tech over our current 2017.
Seems like a lot of good features for that price range.
Although I have not really crossed shopped.

DasTurboWagen

Ready to race!
My wife just leased a 2019 Tiguan S 4Motion last week. I usually hate SUVs but I love it. It drives very well, not too floaty and not too bouncy like most non-luxury SUVs. The power is more than sufficient. I read a lot of comments and reviews saying that it feels under powered but I don't feel that at all. Yes, if you're flooring it through the revs it doesn't have much pull up top, but it has good pickup lower in the range where you spend most of your time.

The backseat is extremely spacious (we didn't get the third row option). and the base seats are comfortable. The only things I don't like are minor problem like the lack of lumbar and the non-ratcheting arm rest. I already coded out the start/stop with Carista because she's usually dealing with a lot of traffic on her commute and hated it.

I'd say so far it's the favorite to replace my wagon down the road if they don't continue to offer them in the US with the Mk8.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
OP i'd suggest you also look at the '19 Santa Fe if you haven't already. From memory these were my pros/cons - both are in the 38k top trim. I feel like you're getting more with Santa Fe.

Pros
Dimensions are slightly larger
Pretty spacious (so is Tiguan)
Thigh support
Ventilated seats (must have for leather)
Leather to my eye looks better and has more unique color optionis
Unique interior (Owning a GTI, the Tig interior just feels over-sized (same w/ Atlas) - nothing unique/special about it)
Center locking Diff
Start/Stop turned off by a physical button

Cons
MPG (but you get a lot more hp/tq)

Both get digital dash. Styling is subjective and both look nice. But Santa Fe to me looks better from all around.

'19 Tig MPG rating went up by a few (18's were underrated)

If someone considers or recommends something like a CX5 over Tiguan/Santa Fe for example, you know size doesn't matter for them. For me, if i'm stepping up to a CUV/SUV, size is one of the most important factors to consider. If i can't fit in the back behind my driving position - forget about it, it's useless.