GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 Crapolla Hatchback

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
It’s the Scion iM sold as a Corolla hatchback in other markets.

Nice to see an LCD Cluster and taillights.

This might force VW to reconsider packaging.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Not really direct competition for our cars, but probably a solid option for someone who just wants a cheap reliable daily.

I’m sure just like every other Corolla built in my lifetime it’s a soulless turd, but will get you from A to B for cheap. My mom bought hers new in ‘05 and it’s had zero issues over its 190k lifetime so far

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Man, remember the Celicas? The Celica GT was cool. Whatever happened to the idea of a Celica-type Toyota? I guess the 86 is it? Bah.

adam1991

Banned
yeah, if Toyota had some balls they'd spice up that platform and call it Celica.

It's a good looking car, and having a FWD competitor to the GTI/Civic Si would be a nice complement to the lower, rear drive 86.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Man, remember the Celicas? The Celica GT was cool. Whatever happened to the idea of a Celica-type Toyota? I guess the 86 is it? Bah.

The FWD Coupe market is pretty much dead; does anyone (besides Honda) even make a compact coupe anymore? I mean, once upon a time there may have been legitimate reasons to buy a 2-door, but considering the GTI chassis is stiff enough that a jack under the front lift point will raise the rear wheel as well, the compact coupe is pretty much pointless.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The FWD Coupe market is pretty much dead;... the compact coupe is pretty much pointless.

Oh, no doubt, in marketing terms. The era of the coupe for the USA sort of died out with the end of the behemoth land yachts, and compact SUVs or hatches pretty much finished the job. The only reason to by a coupe these days is style, and really, no cheap two-door is going to have the cachet that makes it worthwhile to drive, say, a Lexus coupe or a two-door BMW or Benz.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Oh, no doubt, in marketing terms. The era of the coupe for the USA sort of died out with the end of the behemoth land yachts, and compact SUVs or hatches pretty much finished the job. The only reason to by a coupe these days is style, and really, no cheap two-door is going to have the cachet that makes it worthwhile to drive, say, a Lexus coupe or a two-door BMW or Benz.

My dad had a Lexus RC350 F-Sport, and it was awful to drive. The thing just felt heavy and ponderous, wasn't terribly fast, and the visibility was horrid. It wasn't faster or more nimble than the IS350F he had previously (basically the same car), so all you really got was a car that was harder to get in and out of, with back seats that are more of a decorative feature than anything else.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
You kidding? I'd rather have an 86 than a celica. Ick ricey looking slow and fwd. Couldn't get any worse.

It's possible I'm looking back with rose-colored glasses, but I liked the looks of the Celicas, and the sportier versions I remember as pretty nice cars. But I wouldn't want to ditch the 86, which seems for all of its flaws to be a fairly cool car. I just do bemoan the dearth of FWD sport-y drives. RWD cars are useless for me, unless I can have one just for the summer.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
There was a Celica All Trac that had a 200hp 2.0T (same motor that was in the MR2 turbo) and AWD. I believe it was from the 90's.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Some guy on my (dirt) road has a yellow Celica that he drives by every once in a while. I still like the way it looks, even if SpaceGhost is probably right about it's overall performance. Beats the hell out of a Corolla still.