GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
So a quick update.

Stopping by Öhlins tomorrow to pick up my coilovers. Going with 8k springs front and rear to start. Getting my car ready for my fall DE’s.
Ordered Vorschlag’s Camber plates. Those should be here next week.

Going to order the SuperPro bushings for the rear lower control arm and the rear trailing arms.

Sounds killer, in for pics [emoji1376]

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
So a quick update.

Stopping by Öhlins tomorrow to pick up my coilovers. Going with 8k springs front and rear to start. Getting my car ready for my fall DE’s.
Ordered Vorschlag’s Camber plates. Those should be here next week.

Going to order the SuperPro bushings for the rear lower control arm and the rear trailing arms.
Hope those don't make noise 24/7 like ground control

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m sure there will be increased NVH.

Smooth tarred roads are generally quiet and not an issue. Concrete highways tend to be noisy. Expansion joints suck.

The upside is improved suspension geometry and no more outer shoulder wear at the track.

It’s a compromise for daily driving to improve handling on track. I’m fully aware of what I’m getting into. It is what it is.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I’m sure there will be increased NVH.

Smooth tarred roads are generally quiet and not an issue. Concrete highways tend to be noisy. Expansion joints suck.

The upside is improved suspension geometry and no more outer shoulder wear at the track.

It’s a compromise for daily driving to improve handling on track. I’m fully aware of what I’m getting into. It is what it is.

Nothing can make more noise and feel as harsh as springs that are too short for a dampener against a metal topmount, especially springs with an adjustable mount.

I'm sure the setup with transmit some high frequency vibrations, but it'll probably be tolerable.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Hope those don't make noise 24/7 like ground control

My Ground Control camber plates barely make any noise. They were just installed yesterday, and I can hear an ever so slight noise from them if I'm trying to listen for it, but an average person in the car wouldn't notice a difference.

The biggest difference I've noticed is a slight increase in road noise. However, I expected this from a solid strut mount. It's a non-issue to me.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Nothing can make more noise and feel as harsh as springs that are too short for a dampener against a metal topmount, especially springs with an adjustable mount.

I'm sure the setup with transmit some high frequency vibrations, but it'll probably be tolerable.

I ran camber plates early in my Minis life. NVH was more dependent on road quality.

I’m not concerned. More interested in how the car will handle at VIR with the new coils and how that translates into lap-time.
Last time out I was 2-sec slower on my 255-section NT01’s than my 235 MP4S. I struggled to get my starting tire pressures dialed in and didn’t get the best from my tires.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
My Ground Control camber plates barely make any noise. They were just installed yesterday, and I can hear an ever so slight noise from them if I'm trying to listen for it, but an average person in the car wouldn't notice a difference.

The biggest difference I've noticed is a slight increase in road noise. However, I expected this from a solid strut mount. It's a non-issue to me.
They make tons of noise and even more over bumps. Took me forever to make them refund me for their janky product.

If you daily your car or drive on the street 100% not worth it. Even if it's track only idk it will creak and groan in the paddock like an 1800's ship.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I ran camber plates early in my Minis life. NVH was more dependent on road quality.

I’m not concerned. More interested in how the car will handle at VIR with the new coils and how that translates into lap-time.
Last time out I was 2-sec slower on my 255-section NT01’s than my 235 MP4S. I struggled to get my starting tire pressures dialed in and didn’t get the best from my tires.

Nt01 are a great track day tire, but they're quite old in design. I wouldn't be surprised if the mp4s are about as fast, honestly. In regards to section width, I read an article published by a race team a while back that explained their reasoning for moving to a narrower tire and actually going faster around a course. Contact patch doesn't actually change, nor does mechanical grip with a wider tire. The shape of the patch does and total heat capacity does. I'd expect compared to the Mps4s you might have to be at a higher starting pressure.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

Your tires will love the added camber. I am having a new production version of the plates installed with all the other stuff this week (the diff took longer than expected so the car won't be ready until Monday).

That may be more of a training issue for you as the driver rather than a tire issue. I think I had a similar experience with these tires. The Nitto's don't vocalize as much as a street tire. You need to push them harder but you won't get the same aural feedback. They will start to slide before they lose grip entirely, so that's your cue that you are nearing their limit of adhesion. I wasn't too comfortable driving that way on track (I only have the one car and I am not prepared to total it, so I drive accordingly), so I am going back to 200tw street tires. I will probably try the A052's after I wear out my ZIII's to see if they last longer on track than the RE71R's did while offering a similar level of performance

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I wasn't too comfortable driving that way on track (I only have the one car and I am not prepared to total it, so I drive accordingly), so I am going back to 200tw street tires. I will probably try the A052's after I wear out my ZIII's to see if they last longer on track than the RE71R's did while offering a similar level of performance

That's what track insurance is for.

I'd pass on the A052 for anything but competitive events in a class you can get enough neg camber.

In camber limited autocross classes, they're cording in 30 to 40 runs. They are the fastest wearing 200TW by a far. I'm getting 120 runs out of RE71R's.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I'd pass on the A052 for anything but competitive events in a class you can get enough neg camber.

In camber limited autocross classes, they're cording in 30 to 40 runs. They are the fastest wearing 200TW by a far. I'm getting 120 runs out of RE71R's.

Good to know, even though the context here is HPDE events which burn through tires infinitely more quickly than autocross. I got 5 days out of a set of RE71R's, so it sounds like I'd be lucky to last the weekend with the Yokohama tires.

Good to know, even though the context here is HPDE events which burn through tires infinitely more quickly than autocross. I got 5 days out of a set of RE71R's, so it sounds like I'd be lucky to last the weekend with the Yokohama tires.
Hankook RS4's really are the tread wear kings and give up very little to the RE71R after they warm up.