GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Fusion Sport V6TT AWD

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I test drove the Fusion when I ordered my GTI in 2014.
Nice cruising sedan.
Good ride a little better than a Honda Accord.
The extra power would be nice.
But I did not want a cruising sedan.
Nice to see ford make this step.
To have more HP options than just a Mustang.
Now they have the Mustang, ST, RS once they built it, Fusion Sport, Raptor, and the big motor Taurus, Fiesta ST and the will never see one GT. Ford has taken on the power.
The 3.6L turbo sounds like a good engine for Ford.
My 97" F150 has done me well.

BIMMER LEV

Ready to race!
My cousin bought a 2017 fusion sport awd fully loaded etc $40k sticker two days ago. I took it for a drive yesterday, it's not as fast as it sounds, judging off the power numbers. Weighs 3800 pounds, HORRIBLELY slow transmission, feels huge, not nimble at all. It's not a BAD car, but it is nowhere near comparable to the gti or golf r. I walked my cousin by buses with my gti haha and I just have a NPM and DP. No actual tune.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
My dad owned a 2011 Fusion Sport and it was terrible. Slow, inefficient, sound system sucked and blew out within 2 years (something i've never managed to do on any of my VWs despite blasting them on a daily basis), and the abs could be felt vibrating the car no matter how heavily you pressed the brake pedal. It didnt rattle tho, and it had tons of space for fitting people + things for camping trips etc.

I, personally, will never get a ford. The American car market sucks and American car companies' decisions and products reflect the shittiness of the market

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Seems a Golf R will still out-gun a 2.7TT Fusion in a straight line then.

However, as big of gains as we see on the 2.0T, you can bet even bigger gains can be had on the 2.7TT.

For me, I would very much so like to see VW switch the Golf R production over to Mexico and drop the MSRP of the Golf R, and increase its availability. When I bought my GTI, a Golf R was a $12K upsell, for basically AWD. Now, if VW can get a base DSG Golf R MSRP to $35K that would make me much happier, although I'd still be paying $7K more for AWD.

That's the appeal of the Fusion, at just a hair over $34K, it makes me HOPE that VW can find a way to decrease the MSRP of a 2.0T 4 cylinder AWD hatchback. The rumor is that VW will be reducing MSRPs very soon, hope it helps on the Golf R!

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Ugh! 4,000lbs estimated weight is not appealing to me at all.
My wife's BMW X3 weighs about 100lbs more than that.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Drove one just last week. Quite a let down. Good power and ride, but terrible seats, slow trans, turbo lag, poor steering, understeer prone.

This is not a cut rate S4.

NSchultz7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 Turbo Blue S4
I owned a 2015 Fusion Titanium before my GTI. It boasted a 2.0T 240 HP motor (260ish with a tune) and it wasn't fast by any means (14.4 1/4 mile with a tune), bad transmission, not the best handling. The new sport weighs in at something like 3980 lbs with 325 HP and another bad transmission. It's similar to a Taurus SHO in terms of the weight and handling and runs 14.4ish stock. I was excited for the release too but Ford turned it into a pig..

Love my GTI.

RickyBobby2

Passed Driver's Ed
The R is not only an AWD up sell, larger turbo which means higher power comes with that price tag.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Yeah, this is essentially Taurus SHO go round 2. Same issues apply to the Fusion Sport, for the most part. Golf R is way, way better to drive.

RickyBobby2

Passed Driver's Ed
I loved the new design, was looking into a nice red MKZ with panoramic sunroof. Pricetag discouraged me pretty fast but it looked like an awesome car.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Had a 2010 Fusion Sport, with 263hp V6 IIRC. Very well built car, comfortable, decent looking. Didn't have nearly the issues some folks have reported, though having only driven manuals for ages I didn't have a good feel for what an automatic tranny should feel like these days. Ditched it after two years for a Mk6 GTI, which I kept until I got my R this January.

I actually have a soft spot for Fords. The stuff they are building now, especially in the robot plants in Mexico (the Fusion Sport I had was made in Mexico, dunno about the new ones), is put together well. Interiors vary; I found the Fusion's fine. My wife has a 2016 Escape Titanium, and it's quite a solid, nice SUV in the $35k range. It's no Q3 or Macan, of course, but it competes fine with CRVs and RAV 4s.

But in terms of driving dynamics, and daily life, the GTI/R is so very different from a Fusion. The size, the nimbleness, and the responsiveness of the VWs make them, for me, more enjoyable, in everything except long highway trips with four people.

And I guess no one really wants an American sports sedan in the sub-$40k range, because Chevy doesn't offer one at all, Dodge's stuff is from bizarro muscle car land, the only other serious competitor domestically is a Buick of all things (the GS AWD Regal). On paper the more expensive ATS from Caddy seems sweet, but everything I've read screams "stay away" in big bold letters for a host of reasons. Not to mention they still look, well, like Cadillacs. And the ATS-V is wicked expensive, though it does go like hell.

None of this should be surprising, though. Take a gander at what is profitable. Pickups. European luxury cars. Mass-market sedans. Jeeps. Hot hatches and sports sedans that aren't Audis, BMWs, or Mercedes simply don't make money. As it is, none of the American car makers is running even a thousand dollars profit per car, overall, compared to like $2k/car with Toyota. So it's very unlikely we'll see anything remotely like an American A4 or 330i.