GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 Mini Cooper S is pretty quick!

kishmack92

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 VW GTi Black
My brother was test driving the new Mini Cooper S today and we did a few runs together.

Mini Cooper has a 2.0 turbo charged 4 cylinder engine, manual trans and puts out an advertised 189 hp 207 ft/lb torque.

My 2007 FSI GTi is stage 1 APR, Neuspeed P-flo, EuroJet catback, Neuspeed sport springs, Koni FSD shocks, TSW Bathurst wheels and Bridgestone S04 PP tires. DSG trans.

We lined up side by side and did two runs from a dig. I used launch control and manual mode the first run. I got a good launch and it was a pretty even match, he ended up beating me by less than half a car length. I was shocked.

The second run was also from a dig. I used launch control and this time used sport mode. I got a nice launch and it was again a very even match, I ended up barely beating him by not even half a car length.

I was very impressed with the Mini Cooper. My car has 70k miles and is in need of a carbon cleaning pretty bad so that may be hindering some of my horsepower. I'm kind of disappointed actually, I feel like stage 1 APR should be making around 225ish at the wheels? The Mini is probably 160ish at the wheels? Maybe because the mini is a bit lighter(maybe 500lbs)??

I know the GTi is not a 0-60 car, but the Mini is also FWD so I feel like it was a fair match. BTW I drove the Mini personally and it was pretty fun, I wouldn't give up my GTi for it though.

Also, it was pretty hot out, about 90 degrees. My car was fairly cold, I let it warm up though. We raced after we were having fun in the Mini, we did like 2-3 really hard pulls in it so the Mini was pretty hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
I'm reading the Mini is like 220 lbs lighter, here is some detailed info. It's MY 2014, 2 liter engine 189 bhp as you said. You should be about 250 bhp (or 220 whp as you said), give or take 5. The Mini also makes just 221 ftlb, and you make what, 280? if not more. You should've walked him. If you're losing that much power you should've been able to tell. Maybe the Mini is tuned? About time Mini upsized that motor btw, 1.6 got old. Give tuners some time and we'll see good things.

kishmack92

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 VW GTi Black
The Mini was brand new bone stock from the dealer. I was blown away, I thought it wouldn't touch me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boosty

Ready to race!
Stage 2 and I've edged out in front of g35 coupes.. I think you should have had no problems but hey , I used to own a mini and it was fun the new ones look good to me to.
If I could afford a second car I'd daily a mini again

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
What mph were you going up to? If it was relatively low, then I'm really not surprised.

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
I raced a 2016 Mini JC with R compounds at the track two months ago... It took late braking to pass and then I pulled hard but I was impressed considering I'm K04 and modded like a bitch!

https://youtu.be/Kv-O-Fvumqw

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I doubt your making 225 at the wheels with APR stage 1.
But good race!

k04 and stuff.

with my GIAC gti I was at 220whp and 250wtq. 225 may be a close bet....

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Any known boost leaks, do you have a gauge?

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Youd be surprised. Mine was down about 5psi when I first got stage one and it was much better after fixing the problems.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
I don't have a boost gauge but my car pulls pretty hard. It doesn't feel like I'm losing any power.

If you do want to check it feel free to drive over to Waterford/West Bloomfield area (I94 -> 275N -> M5). I have vagcom that we can run a couple logs with.