GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 GTI Autobahn Brakes

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
My wife told me her car is making squealing noises when she brakes. I checked the front pads and they are nearly to the backing plate, needless to say she's driving her other car for now. I've ordered new Raybestos Element3; Hybrid Technology pads and rotors and brake pad wear sensor from rockauto. I checked the vehicle status in the screen and there's no warning show about brake pad life. I thought these cars are supposed to have a sensor for pad thickness at least in the front?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
NA gets physical wear indicator in brake pads and it does not have any sensor connected to the vehicle system.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Standard brakes do not have any wear sensors. R's do have pad wear sensors, not sure if GTI PP brakes do or not.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I check the thickness of my pads every 6000 miles when Discount Tire rotates and balances the wheels.

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Thanks guys, makes sense why there was no electronic fault when the pad was to the backing plate.

Also do you guys replace the bolts to mount the caliper to bracket and bracket to the upright? EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the 4 bolts just in case.

The pads I bought came with an integrated sensor, just have it zip tied away now, any harm in cutting the wire off since there's no sensor to the car?

Last edited:

SLC4EVER

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys, makes sense why there was no electronic fault when the pad was to the backing plate.

Also do you guys replace the bolts to mount the caliper to bracket and bracket to the upright? EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the 4 bolts just in case.

The pads I bought came with an integrated sensor, just have it zip tied away now, any harm in cutting the wire off since there's no sensor to the car?

Nope, just cut it off.