GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 1.8T Jetta - This Spark Anyone's Interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McQueen77

Banned
I can't help but be compelled by the forthcoming Jetta. Essentially a turbocharged 4 door sedan with independent rear suspension, leatherette, keyless entry/push button start & a 5 speed manual for a few ticks above twenty grand - probably about $22.5k.. When I've brought it up in the past on here, people dismissively say something "just get a GLI" or something, but what they seem to be missing is the difference in price, not to mention availability. You could easily, easily save 5 grand by going with the new Jetta, the gas mileage estimates are superior at 24 city and 36 hwy to the 2.0T, and while the base figures aren't too impressive, surely APR will soon come out with a tune for this version of the 1.8T that will put it well above stock 2.0TSI figures.. The GLI is made in Meheeco, so is this and so will the new GTI, so... SO what? And really, day to day, how much better would the GLI feel compared to the Jetta?

Only deal breaker, really, that I can see is the fact that the only automatic option is slushbox only, which is a bummer. No way to keep costs low and give up the DSG. I am definitely going to go test drive one of these soon, just to check it out. End of the day, its a cheap ass little Jr. sports sedan.

Thoughts?

Side by side tech spec comparisons of the 1.8, the existing 2.5 and the 2.0:

Engine Bay:

DeathMoJo1

Ready to race!
I think it is a great option for what you get. Those that don't need or want all the styling and features of the GTI/GLI but still have a motor that can achieve good gas mileage and has tuning options.

I agree about the automatic but with this combo i would just go with the manual.

McQueen77

Banned
the sleeper aspect and the price are what appeal to me. and i actually like the styling of the current gen Jetta, much more than the previous gen actually. a black 2014 jetta SE or SEL with a stage 1 (you know theyre already working on it) tune could be a really tight right for what amounts to probably seven grand cheaper than a similarly optioned GLI. its easily a small enough and light enough car that you can toss around, now has better suspension/handling etc.. oh, and it takes 87. it does however, if you actually had the car long enough to care, has a timing belt which would have to be changed at some point. looks as if with a tune you could easily get into the mid 6 second range for 0-60, which is not bad at all.

Last edited:

McQueen77

Banned
ofcourse i do, but I'd much prefer a decent DD and $15000 more in my pocket over the long term. at the end of the day, spending $35-$40k on a car is just foolish in my opinion unless you really have positive cash flow and all your ducks in a row. we live in SoCal man where image is everything. You know how many people I know rolling in luxury cars who don't have a dime to their name? Some people dont give a shit and are willing to have significant negative net worth so they can lease or whatever a luxury car. Is the A4 better in every way than the new Jetta? duh, yes. is it worth $15-20k more? well that is subjective.. you beat your car day in and day out, it depreciates in value, it gets your where you need to go and if you are an enthusiast, it brings you some level of enjoyment. its almost like you have to ask yourself what $15000 means to you. if fifteen grand is insignificant to you, then congratulations, you can comfortably afford to go out and purchase a $45000 Audi A4 S-Line. Sweet. But if $15000 means being closer to that down payment, or saving for your kids college, or whatever else 'ordinary' middle class 'mercans are concerned with, than you're kind of an asshole for buying the Audi and your head is up your ass when it comes to money. I bet 50% of the guys on this forum can't even truly afford their GTIs, if you really looked over their numbers... but they blab all day long about the newest $50-60k luxury car.

i mean look at MaxTDI.. according to him, he is sitting on piles of money he doesn't know what to do with. but what does he do? he sells his ted nugent corvette special, pockets the dough and keeps his little TDI. now thats smart money.

my requirements for the next car are simple: (most likely) 4 door sedan, German (engineered), forced induction, good mileage, tuning capability, affordable. if i drive this car and feel like it has the attributes that i have come to love about the GTI: great powertrain & handling, efficient, solid build (doors that go 'thunk') and germanic styling, solid at high speeds, communicative/connected feel, etc. then why would it be necessary for me to spend a considerable amount of money to have the 4 circles on the front grill?

all talk.. but you know.. thats what we do on here. talk.

Last edited:

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
But the circles look pretty :D

Yeah it makes sense on paper money wise, I'm just not a fan of the Jetta. Has always been a chick car to me, regardless what is underneathe the hood.

McQueen77

Banned
But the circles look pretty :D

Yeah it makes sense on paper money wise, I'm just not a fan of the Jetta. Has always been a chick car to me, regardless what is underneathe the hood.

i hear you on that front.. i really do. that'd be one of the main reservations.. i know a lot of guys though that roll a Jetta, don't give a shit and just beat on it. it may be chickish, but so is the GTI to many... i'd still drive a Jetta any day over an accord, altima meximobile, mazda3 or whatever..

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
My thing is, everyone on here drives basically a new car. I'd much rather just stick with my GTI than have a car that's a couple years newer but a worse car to start. The Jetta we have is engineered for Americans. It's a lot more of a boat than a GTI. Power isn't that great if the chasis stinks.

I think this new Jetta would be a great purchase for a heavy modder. If you're going to tune your car, throw on bolt ons, replace wheels/tires, put on coilovers, sway bars, etc, you may as well save the $4k difference or whatever up front with a Golf/Jetta 1.8T. But if you're like myself or like you, McQueen who is smart enough to not heavily mod a DD, you're going to appreciate the better suspension components, nicer looking wheels, etc. that come with a GTI/GLI stock. Modding a base car to handle as well as a GTI/GLI will probably use all the savings anyway, and it still has a smaller engine.

McQueen77

Banned
Ah damn you for your common sense!!!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
naw man, shit's gay.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Timing belt... :thumbdown:

Ya but no chain tensioner to worry about. VW can't design a chain driven engine. This has been proven over and over

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
It doesn't spark my interest but in the upcoming MK7 Golf, it does as I'm not a sedan person. But I do see the appeal in the segment. It's a solid offering to the Focus, Mazda3, Cruze, Dart etc. And would be my top choice.

I may go cheap on my next car and at present, its a toss up between the new Mazda3 hatch and MK7 Golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.