GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Ford Fusion Ecoboost Review

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I just returned from a 1200 mile trip from Orlando through Charleston up to Franklin NC back then down to Atlanta (I do this every year to visit friends and family).

My rental car options were either a Camry, Impala, Malibu (the new one) or an Altima (last gen). I saw a Fusion with dual exhaust and asked for that, even though it's technically a class down according to the folks at Enterprise.

With leather, sunroof, sirius, power seats and the ecoboost, it was far from a stripper and much better equipped than the other offerings. At $10 per day it was a steal. $141 total for 9 days and 1200 miles - no better deal out there.

Ive driven many cars in this segment at was thoroughly impressed with the Fusion. Especially the 2.0 ecoboost engine. I understand there have been a few issues in the Escape but all in all, this is a great performing engine. It felt and drove like a much larger engine. I didn't miss a V6 option.

This was not only an excellent freeway cruiser, it did surprisingly well in the "mountains" of Western NC. Far superior to the Camry I last drove through the area. The paddle shifters were helpful to keep it in the sweet spot as I took some curves, which again, I was surprised at how well planted the car felt. The only thing needed were additional side seat bolsters. Great steering, braking and smooth acceleration with minimal torque steer. The Fusion is also quite durable. I was backed into at an angle by a Kia Soul with pretty good force. Pop the bumper back in where it meets the headlight, no visible damage. I averaged 30.5 MPG on my entire trip, not bad.

The Fusion is the only domestic car I've driven with comfort turn signals. Sounds silly but a pain point when you drive a car without them after you've become accustom to them.

A few things that were annoying. The drivers left dead pedal had serious intrusion causing my foot to contort. It's as if something was blocking the extra space needed to sit comfortably. This would actually be a deal breaker should I actually want to buy one. It was that uncomfortable. Also, the gas pedal was too short. During relaxed driving my foot would slip off the pedal. I'm 6"3 with a size 13 shoe - never had that happen before in a car. Lastly, the audio and cruise buttons needed swapped on the wheel. Audio controls should always be on the left side. Cruise on the right. I also longed for push button start. The Fusion's keys are massive and in the way of my knee. The tech on my current car has spoiled me. I was missing the backup camera with proximity sensors lol.

All in all, I'm thoroughly impressed with the Fusion. I can't begin to count how many I saw on the road during my trip although most were the 2.5l Duratech. I'd never buy one, especially with the drivers foot rest intrusion but would definitely recommend the Fusion to anyone looking in this segment.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
The Fusion is the only domestic car I've driven with comfort turn signals. Sounds silly but a pain point when you drive a car without them after you've become accustom to them.

Is that where the signal stays on after you've turned it off? I hate that and had to turn it off with VCDS. It made me think that I left the signal on, so I'd move the arm and end up signaling the other direction :thumbdown:

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Is that where the signal stays on after you've turned it off? I hate that and had to turn it off with VCDS. It made me think that I left the signal on, so I'd move the arm and end up signaling the other direction :thumbdown:

"tap to pass". Tap the signal and it blinks 3 times, then turns itself off. Rather than having to hold down the stalk or fully engage the turn signals then disengage them.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

That's just a weird side effect... The intended use if you lightly press it for 3 blinks for lane changes and click it on for turns, where it will auto cancel. So theoretically you never have to turn it off on your own.

Daniel, I'm surprised you haven't seen other domestics with this, I know GMs have had it for several years.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
"Winker" as Honda would like to call it. And yes, I'll agree....I've grow so accustomed to it that I have quick blinks in my wife's car.

Great review!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
It's hard to compete with a turbo assisted car. The power comes down low and is always available if the manufacturer properly tunes the turbo.

The downside is reliability, since a turbo car will always have many more parts and stress the engine further.

But that Fusion is certainly a great car!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Dan, how was the turbo linearity?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Daniel, I'm surprised you haven't seen other domestics with this, I know GMs have had it for several years.

I guess I haven't driven any of GM's new models recently. Last GM I drove was the previous gen Malibu.

Dan, how was the turbo linearity?

Exceptionally smooth. No real lag, just a nice consistent building of power.

I failed to mention I was impressed with the throttle response. It was jumpy at first as it's better than my x1. Took a few times to not lurch in initial acceleration. Now that I'm back in my x1, i'm having to readjust my driving style.

1200 miles in the Fusion over 9 days
1400 miles in the x1 over 4 months lol

wxp

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]If you want to test-drive EcoBoost cars, sign up for Ford's tour. Totally free…

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]2013 EcoBoost Tour (with Ford ST Performance Academy)[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]A few friends and I did this last summer when they came around with just the new Ford Focus ST. This promises to have all the Ford EcoBoost vehicles including the all-new 2014 Fiesta ST (that isn’t available to the general public yet). They have a timed course for the Focus ST and Fiesta ST with the “ST Performance Academy.”[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
"tap to pass". Tap the signal and it blinks 3 times, then turns itself off. Rather than having to hold down the stalk or fully engage the turn signals then disengage them.

Really? Both of my parents vehicles have them (2012 Jeep GC and 2012 Journey) and my 2008 Avenger had it as well.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Bump

I needed a rental after the water pump on my GTI went kaput...I received an old gen. Impala with 50k miles and bald tires. The car is garbage and was the quintessential american car. It took a couple of days to change it out and now I have a '13 Ford Fusion.

To sum it up...I am blown away. My co-workers have '13 Camry, '13 Altima, '13 Honda Accord...the Fusion looks and feels like a car in a different league. The exterior looks great, the interior impressed me from the BMW font type gauges to the ambient lighting package which came with the car, and on top of that cruising at 55mph I was getting 42 mpg...If I had to pick a family car today, it would be the Fusion hands down.