GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2009 TSI Multiple Misfire

Schimmy

Car(s)
2009 Golf GTI
On new years I noticed a bit of a stutter under hard acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear. No lights were on so I thought it may have been tire spin. A few days later I went out to start it, and the CEL came on. The car started shaking and the CEL begun flashing so I shut it off and got a ride with a friend to dinner. Went back out the next day and started it back up. Ran a little rough but no more flashing light or shaking. CEL was still on but solid. Drove it straight to O'Reilly and got it scanned.
It threw P0300 P0301 and P0303.
I replaced plugs and coil packs as I planned on doing it soon anyways, but it didn't change anything.
Still throwing the same codes and stutters hard over 3.5k rpm.
Also noticed a bit of a whistle at low rpm in first and second.
Anyone had this problem or know what could be causing it?

Passed Driver's Ed
What condition were the packs and plugs in when you removed them? Any oil on them? Any smoke coming from the exhaust? Does the Oreilly scanner look at pending DTCs or just recorded DTCs? Any milkiness in your coolant expansion tank? Any mayonnaise on the oil fill cap? Are all four injectors working? How long has it been since you've cleaned your intake?

In my case the low whistling sound at low rpm was my turbo beginning to fail (compressor wheel). It's also known as the "turbo siren of death." But a bad PCV or even DV can also make this noise. Your case sounds different because the misfires seem mostly localized to cylinders 1 and 3.

Last edited:

Schimmy

Car(s)
2009 Golf GTI
What condition were the packs and plugs in when you removed them? Any oil on them? Any smoke coming from the exhaust? Does the Oreilly scanner look at pending DTCs or just recorded DTCs? Any milkiness in your coolant expansion tank? Any mayonnaise on the oil fill cap? Are all four injectors working? How long has it been since you've cleaned your intake?

In my case the low whistling sound at low rpm was my turbo beginning to fail (compressor wheel). It's also known as the "turbo siren of death." But a bad PCV or even DV can also make this noise. Your case sounds different because the misfires seem mostly localized to cylinders 1 and 3.
So I haven't checked in on any of that stuff yet because I'm not at home with the car right now. I will update when I get home later.

The low whistling sound only happens for the first few minutes the car is on. Once it warms up the sound goes away completely. Could that still be the problem?

Schimmy

Car(s)
2009 Golf GTI

Alright, misfire is fixed. Did a carbon cleaning and got OEM plugs and coils, and it runs slightly nicer than it did before the misfire started. The only problem I'm still having is that whistling noise. I looked up a few videos of the turbo siren and it does seem fairly similar, but I'm still making decent boost. I plan on installing a boost gauge soon so I'll know if I'm making as much boost as I should. The noise only occurs only when it's freezing cold out, and it usually only happens for about 10 minutes (though I have had a few times it has made the noise until I shut the car off). I was planning on replacing the turbo or going k04, but not until later in the year when I won't feel bad about spending money on a turbo.

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright, misfire is fixed. Did a carbon cleaning and got OEM plugs and coils, and it runs slightly nicer than it did before the misfire started. The only problem I'm still having is that whistling noise. I looked up a few videos of the turbo siren and it does seem fairly similar, but I'm still making decent boost. I plan on installing a boost gauge soon so I'll know if I'm making as much boost as I should. The noise only occurs only when it's freezing cold out, and it usually only happens for about 10 minutes (though I have had a few times it has made the noise until I shut the car off). I was planning on replacing the turbo or going k04, but not until later in the year when I won't feel bad about spending money on a turbo.

My dying turbo was also making excellent boost right up until the moment it wasn't. My advice would be to go ahead and swap the DV and PCV since those are dirt cheap. If the whistle persists, inspect your turbo for rattle at the wastegate, wastegate actuator, and especially the compressor wheel. You should be able to separate the turbo from the cat without fully removing the turbo. You may need an inspection mirror if you've never done it before. You can also do it by feel. You can grab the actuator arm from the engine compartment by reaching way back behind the turbo's heatshield. You benefit from the fact that it's the only thing that feels like a rod back there. You'll save ~$100 towing by swapping out your turbo on YOUR terms rather than waiting for it to blow.

Here is Humblemechanics excellent video on what to feel for.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I had a whistle when the clip fell off the wastegate...you probably have some play there. Metal expands as it heats up, would explain why it goes away. You might want to look for a used low mileage exhaust manifold, they typically come with the turbo attached according to other users.