GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2009 Rabbit Manual Trans 3rd-5th gears disappeared

nlinesk8s

Car(s)
2009 Rabbit 2.5
Tried this on Vortex and no one had the same issue. 2009 Rabbit 2.5 with a 5-speed manual transmission. 3rd-5th gears disappeared, like they don't exist. I can shift fine, but nothing happens. Reverse, first and second are fine. Clutch operates as it should; the car is driveable until you hit third gear. I've checked the cables and the shift operation at the transmission, and everything appears to move as it should. There is some noise inside the trans if I put it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th and release the clutch pedal; a slight rattle.

Looking at a video of how the six speed works, there are several tabs on the shifter column shaft the operate various gears. Has anyone had one of those break off? It might explain what's going on. I tried looking at the transmission service manual, but it doesn't really address how to remove that shaft, though it looks like there's two bolts on top and two on bottom, and it could be pulled without removing the transmission.

Any help appreciated. This situation doesn't appear to be common and I'm not wanting to go full trans removal if I don't have to.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Remove the top bolts have the trans in neutral and pull the selector shaft out. When you put it back in you will have to do the a shifter adjustment.

nlinesk8s

Car(s)
2009 Rabbit 2.5
Just following up on this. Output shaft broke after 2nd gear. This has been a commuter car; no hooning.
PXL_20210909_211418324.jpg