GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2009 GTI may come with 30th Edition engine

brennok

Ready to race!
Next year, Volkswagen will make this 227-hp engine standard in the GTI and the case for not buying one even weaker. -Edmunds .com

An interesting read but I like how they slipped that in there. I wonder whether this will come true. Didn't the MKIV get a bump in power towards the end of its model run?

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
that was the rumor for 2008 too - didnt happen. nothing a simple chip cant fix.

07mkvgti

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
06 GTi
that was the rumor for 2008 too - didnt happen. nothing a simple chip cant fix.

it's not the same. imagine the 227hp motor chipped. a lot better considering stronger internals and a K04 turbo.

it actually says it there that the GTI will have the 227hp S3 engine. i see it happening.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
it might actually happen, they did the same thing with the 1.8T after 3 years or so in the US...and by the 09 model year the R32 will be gone (for brand new ones at least)

brennok

Ready to race!
There is always something better if you are willing to wait...or you can buy now.

Yeah I know. My problem is more the MKV GTi doesn't feel like enough of a jump to warrant another car payment and to trade in my MKIV GLi. At the same time I really am supposed to switch to an auto sooner rather than later.

Taz

Ready to race!
I hate to say but so many of you just compare a VW against another Vdub rather than what is available in the market at large. Sure I could find some way to justify the extra $$$ for a R32 against a GTI but compared to others out there it needs some help.

Personally I think the GTI offers more bang for the buck than the R32. As always there is a point of diminishing returns. Sadly in the US, the VW nameplate means "inexpensive" rather than a more upscale marque as it might as in Europe. Americans for the most part haven't forgotten the first Beetles and Rabbits. It is hard to convince a large segment of the population that a Golf can cost you almost $40k! So many cars at that price point will run rings around the R32.

In the 20k range, there aren't that many competitors the GTI has to worry about. In many ways the R32 has a lot of competition from the GTI.

If they had given it at least 300HP from the start, I would be highly interested in one. In reality the R32 will even have to be wary of even some SUVs. An Acura RDX will likely beat it 0-60 (6.4 0-60) and the V6 Rav4 is pretty close as well. Of course the R32 should dust the Rav4 in handling but the RDX is pretty damn good with its SH-AWD.

What I love about the GTI is for just a few grand in tweaks, you can have a pretty darn quick car (13 second) that doesn't attract too much attention. No big giant boy racer wing like the EXO or STi. I love to drive fast so stealth is the way to go. A 4 door GTI is perfect for fling along pretty unnoticed.