GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2008 R32 transmission issue

nicopolis

Please please help! I just bought a 2008 R32, and when I put it into gear and give it the gas there is a (slight hesitation) before the transmission engages. Sometimes it makes a small "thump"as though it finally goes into gear.
If I give it a moment after releasing the brake it seems to do ok. But if I let off the brake after a stop and quickly give it the gas I have this issue?? However it shifts fine through gears. Went to dealership and asked them to check out drivetrain and they never said anything was wrong? Does anyone have this same issue and is this normal? Would appreciate any help as its making me very crazy. Thanks for anyones help! :iono:

Prana

Since 88'
Thats pretty normal man. Usually when going from a start you want to take your foot off the brake and give in a second to engage itself. After that feel free to rip on it.

qcbtbx

smu.:Rf
Car(s)
.:R32
stock DSG is pretty finicky. there is a slight hesitation and delay in throttle response. i got the United Motorsport ECU/DSG Combo flash and that has gone away completely!

aleksr32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW R32
there was a recall on it..the mecatronic unit...have a check at it..other than that there is always a delay that you get used to, unless you flash the DSG, which i would recommend :)

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Just give the car back or sell it, ur trans will NEVER work properly again!!!!!!

:laughabove:

:bellyroll:

markcaughey

Ready to race!
Same worries here when I got mine that's a DSg for you be happy you don't have the BMW SMG

+1

SMG box is shocking we used to have an e60 m5 in the family awesome car but that box kills it ! Alright for a quick blast but no way could I live with that ! I was slightly concerned the dsg would be the same when I got my Gti but I would say that the dsg is far superior box night and day !

Katie83

Ready to race!
stock DSG is pretty finicky. there is a slight hesitation and delay in throttle response. i got the United Motorsport ECU/DSG Combo flash and that has gone away completely!

Hmm hasn't fixed mine! I've got the UM combo tune and it still takes a few seconds for it to figure out what I want it to do when I go from reverse to drive and give it gas...unless it's just me doing it too fast...

ZebraCakeGolf

Please please help! I just bought a 2008 R32, and when I put it into gear and give it the gas there is a (slight hesitation) before the transmission engages. Sometimes it makes a small "thump"as though it finally goes into gear.
If I give it a moment after releasing the brake it seems to do ok. But if I let off the brake after a stop and quickly give it the gas I have this issue?? However it shifts fine through gears. Went to dealership and asked them to check out drivetrain and they never said anything was wrong? Does anyone have this same issue and is this normal? Would appreciate any help as its making me very crazy. Thanks for anyones help! :iono:

Sounds like the shifter is bad. Shift kit...whatever it's called with an auto. OR bad trans mount, for some reason, those cause very similar symptoms.

Snowborderz

I Drive DoggyStyle
Did you figure out your problem? I bought my R back in July, and I did some research before I bought it. From what I read, I expected a bit of slight hesitation and tranny lag and all that. When I test drove it I just assumed what I felt was normal. I didn't assume anything was wrong as the car only had 25k miles on it. On top of that I bought it from a name dealer (not VW) and they "Certified" it.

Fast forward a few months and I take it in for an oil change. As time went on, I seemed to feel less and less comfortable that the feeling with the tranny was "normal" but after all the research I did, everything made me think it was. When it was in for the oil change, I asked the tech to check out the tranny. He told me the clutches should be replaced. Luckily it was covered under warranty, because it is a $2500 job. I let them fix it, and boom, tranny is awesome. I loved the car before, and I love it so much more now.

Basically, what I wanted to say is: If you think something really is wrong, take it to a VW tech or two and get their opinion.

scca_ziptie

Car(s)
Mk5 R32 #684
Completely normal sounding operation for the DSG in the R32.. I have some technical bulletin stuff regarding this issue that I have printed off from AllDataPro.com and it states that this is "normal operation of the DSG system." I think it's the fact that the clutch is unsure of what gear to pre-select. My car does the same thing, but as others have posted: ensuring that you leave your foot on the brake, select drive then remove your foot from the brake and apply throttle will keep it operating smoothly.

That last part is a real problem for me as I left foot brake all the time, it often results in less than smooth operation. This car absolutely prevents the quick "reverse to drive" maneuver in parking lots....

nicopolis

Thats pretty normal man. Usually when going from a start you want to take your foot off the brake and give in a second to engage itself. After that feel free to rip on it.

I appreciate the confirmation that this is normal for this car. The VW mechanics say the same thing as well..Just not really knowing any better made me crazy, but I have gotten use to it. Thanks again:thumbsup: