GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2008 GTi DSG flywheels

MRRiley

Car(s)
12 Golf R
Hi all,

I'm the guy who ended up with GAICUser's MK 5 GTi. I have a question that perhaps someone might be able to answer. It appears the DSG flywheels vary between an 06 and prior that ends in L and an 07 and later that ends in N. Anyone know if there are actually any differences beside the ending characters? Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

MRRiley

Car(s)
12 Golf R
Ok, so after a fair bit of internet sleuthing I decided that the L suffix and the N suffix DSG fly wheels are essentially one and the same. I had ordered a Sachs replacement and the vendor took the time to call to relay the part number I'd ordered was not able to be cross referenced on a VW dealers site and it may be the wrong item. They also informed me Sachs doesn't make a direct replacement for the N suffix flywheel. Very responsible of them in my opinion.

So some addational time online and I found reference that the same Sachs part number was in fact used for both the L and the N suffix flywheel. I assume the suffix change was a manufacturing change or upgrade. Anyway, I have the part on order and it's apparently with DHL for delivery. The bright side is that I ended up with and extra $140 in my pocket due to changing vendors. Fun stuff!

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
I put a Sachs DSG DMF (06F105266P) in my '07 when the gearbox went out. Appearances alone it's better construction than the early DMFs they used on the FSI. Changed the tone of the engine a bit too.

To answer your question about the last letter of the part number, that's typically the revision of said part. So, in theory...L is an older revision of N and if the DMF you're looking at has the same part number that I posted above, then P is a newer revision of N.

I know with some things like the front PCV for the FSI some of the revisions actually differ from each other (some have a check valve while others don't because it's included with a variant of a breather tube) so you would just need to make sure you get the right one for that kind of thing.

Last edited:

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
The LUK variant I found on FCP Euro for the 8P S3 has a part number of 06J105266D. My guess is both flywheels are similar in construction apart from the manufacturer and revision.

MRRiley

Car(s)
12 Golf R
Thanks for all the input. I can confirm, since the car is now running and hasn't eaten the trans yet, the Saks L replacement does in fact work just fine in a N flywheel car. FYI.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
The LUK variant I found on FCP Euro for the 8P S3 has a part number of 06J105266D. My guess is both flywheels are similar in construction apart from the manufacturer and revision.
That is for the TSI with 8 mounting holes for the crank the FSI 6 hole

MRRiley

Car(s)
12 Golf R
Howdy all, thought I'd toss a quick update out there, the car has been driving in a limited fashion since December last year. GAICUser did a heck of a job with it! He was focused on a track demon that could turn laps for months without too much concern. Unfortunately since he is in SoCal getting a plate for such a hot-rod would be practically impossible. Not so much here in the great mid-west. I was able to get it plated and have updated a couple of things.

First, a seat riser, got it up about 3/4 of an inch and could probably use another 1 to 1.5 inches or so. At least I can see over the dash! Excess height challenged I'm not.

Next after getting the trans repaired, were motor mounts. If you remember, GAICUser put 034 Mororsports solid mounts and every chassis brace available. Certainly firmed things up, but a bit too much for my taste. Swapped them out for BFI stage 2's, the green centers. That made a dramatic difference in overall vibration and it might, just might pass as an occasional daily. It also pointed to an exhaust interference that required a minor brace clearance to rectify.

Next, following a couple of college graduations, we'll get the aquamist sorted and likely find a more appropriate tune. My guys here seem to think with the parts already on the car, mid 400s at the wheel might be possible on gas alone. Fun fun!!

PS - If anyone is interested in the 034 Mororsports solid mounts drop me a note. I doubt they have even 250 miles on them.