GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2007 GTI won’t rev over 3k *Fixed*

BbbyBld

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Hi, looking for help with my 2007 GTI. I haven’t had the car long, but I know a bit about the history because I bought it from a friend. When driving or in neutral, it won’t rev over 3k rpm. When it goes over 3k, the engine sort of stutters. It’s not showing a CEL. My friend replaced the coils, plugs, HPFP, and cam follower within the past year. The cam was inspected and it was not damaged. I checked the turbo diverter valve and it looked good. I scanned it and it’s showing P1093-008 Fuel measurement system malfunction. Any ideas for other things to check?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Well, it seems you've addressed all of the high fuel pressure components...other than the high fuel pressure sensor and fuel pressure regulating valve on the rail. Sometimes to confirm sensors are working, you need to insert a gauge into the fuel lines to see if the gauge shows the same as the sensors are repoting to the ECU.

One other contributor to the P1093 code may be the low pressure system. Could be in need of a new fuel filter or LPFP in the tank, and even the low pressure sensor mounted on the HPFP. Again, seeing the low pressure data will show if it provides proper pressure.

I would start with looking at the pressure data for both sides of the system to see which is doing what. Do you not have VCDS/VAG-COM or other data logging APP? If not, this will need to be sorted to see which side is causing the code.

But there are two more oddly related possibilities. And these are the ECU itself or the crankcase breather.

I wish it were easier, but most codes we see have multiple possibilities.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Pull the cam follower and confirm everything is still ok per the TB/TSB if still intact do as suggested and log you fuel pressures.

BbbyBld

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Thanks for the quick responses! I have VCDS, but I haven’t figured out how to log fuel pressure. I’ll look it up. Is there a resource that shows a table for what the fuel pressure range should be on low/high side at various rpm should be?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Group/MB 230 and 231 will log both high and low for you. You should also include a MB that will include RPM and/or throttle position when doing logs. I usually include MB 3. MB 230 and 231 will also show both the specified and the actual. You'll need to do a full throttle pull in one gear, 3rd is optimal but 2nd will work if safety is a concern, and you should log data from 2k rpm to redline.

High pressure target/specified should max at 110 bar if not tuned, and if tuned...the tune will specify the higher target...125 bar to 130 bar.

Low pressure target will vary depending on temperature and load. But 4 bar should be the minimum specified and actual pressure you see in the data. Sometimes the Low specified will be at its 4 bar minimum and actual will dip below 4 bar a tiny bit when approaching redline. But if the low actual pressure drops below 3.5 bar...then there's likely the problem.

Here's one aide for VCDS MB/Groups.
https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/

Last edited:

BbbyBld

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Group/MB 230 and 231 will log both high and low for you. You should also include a MB that will include RPM and/or throttle position when doing logs. I usually include MB 3. MB 230 and 231 will also show both the specified and the actual. You'll need to do a full throttle pull in one gear, 3rd is optimal but 2nd will work if safety is a concern, and you should log data from 2k rpm to redline.

High pressure target/specified should max at 110 bar if not tuned, and if tuned...the tune will specify the higher target...125 bar to 130 bar.

Low pressure target will vary depending on temperature and load. But 4 bar should be the minimum specified and actual pressure you see in the data. Sometimes the Low specified will be at its 4 bar minimum and actual will dip below 4 bar a tiny bit when approaching redline. But if the low actual pressure drops below 3.5 bar...then there's likely the problem.

Here's one aide for VCDS MB/Groups.
https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/

I was able to take a log. Looks like low pressure side never really drops significantly below 4.5 bar, so I guess that’s fine.

High pressure side is tracking almost perfectly between specified and measured until I reach 3600 RPM. Measured starts to drift higher. The highest RPM I could hit is about 4K, where specified is 89.7bar and measured is 110.86bar.

Does that mean that the fuel pressure regulator is failing?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I couldn't say since you cannot get it into the upper revs, so let's check fuel pressures a couple of other ways.
First try checking both fuel pressures with VCDS...follow the prerequisites: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/inde...&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals

I doubt it is the one year old pressure regulator on top of the HPFP, but check it for a cracked connector and if the wire terminals are in place inside the harness connector. Do the CF and tri-lobe check just to be sure nothing has gone wrong there. If you can get a clear and close-up pic of a cam lobe peak...add that here.

When was the fuel filter changed last?

Later, you may need to have a shop do an actual gauged pressure test if you do not have an inline fuel pressure test kit.

BbbyBld

Car(s)
2007 GTI
I couldn't say since you cannot get it into the upper revs, so let's check fuel pressures a couple of other ways.
First try checking both fuel pressures with VCDS...follow the prerequisites: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/inde...&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals

I doubt it is the one year old pressure regulator on top of the HPFP, but check it for a cracked connector and if the wire terminals are in place inside the harness connector. Do the CF and tri-lobe check just to be sure nothing has gone wrong there. If you can get a clear and close-up pic of a cam lobe peak...add that here.

When was the fuel filter changed last?

Later, you may need to have a shop do an actual gauged pressure test if you do not have an inline fuel pressure test kit.

Pic of follower and cam lobe. The cam looks okay as far as I can tell...at least it doesn’t seem to have any scoring or anything like that.

71F3C7D7-2089-4055-AA92-D5B1C219AA07.jpeg
7F584B9E-EC7C-40E2-8D53-1AEFCF5C3A32.jpeg

BbbyBld

Car(s)
2007 GTI
I’m not showing the cam lobe peak...I’ll try to turn the engine tomorrow to get a pic of that.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Right, the lobe, if badly worn, would just be that it has taken the lobe height down. I know there are posts of people who have taken measurements but who wants to go there really. I would skip the lobe pic tomorrow....and move on to the pressure checks. Start with the data and post that.

TSMILEY

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 GTi
Maybe it's just me, but that cam follower looks like it has some nasty score marks in it that would make me suspect the camshaft. I know when I check my CF, it's smoooooooth with an even, circular wear pattern.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I agree, there's a high point mark on it which suggests the tri-lobe is worn...it also shows to not be rotating the CF much. Why I hoped for a close-up of the lobe peak. When mine shows wear...its a small circle in the middle of the CF.

BbbyBld

Car(s)
2007 GTI
I agree, there's a high point mark on it which suggests the tri-lobe is worn...it also shows to not be rotating the CF much. Why I hoped for a close-up of the lobe peak. When mine shows wear...its a small circle in the middle of the CF.

It looks like scoring or scratching from the pic, but that’s where I wiped oil off—I made those marks. Also, this is a new cam follower that has maybe 500 miles on it, so maybe it hasn’t had a chance to show a normal wear pattern yet?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Strange wear pattern, it looks like you can see the internal structure(low outer circle and high inner circle) of the CF on the outside face. What make was this CF??

Pic to show inner view of New VW CF which appears to be mirroring the face of that CF? Very strange.