GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2007 FSI vs 2012 Golf R intercooler piping

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2007 FSI GTI and there's a local seller for a Golf R intercooler but without pipes.
Would it work, or do I need to shop around for other parts?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I ran one on my 2008 FSI GTI, I would save your money for an APR or Wagner. It made no diff that I could discern and I ended up dumping the Golf R intercooler and going APR.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
It would bolt right in, but you'd have to trim/cut the metal ring ends off your OEM hoses and then get some hose clamps to attach the intercooler hoses to the Golf R intercooler (since it has different inlet/outlet ends)

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I ran one on my 2008 FSI GTI, I would save your money for an APR or Wagner. It made no diff that I could discern and I ended up dumping the Golf R intercooler and going APR.

The stock intercooler is inadequate for Socal + stage 1 tune. There is definitely a difference in how the engine feels at the beginning vs end of my commute if I take surface streets.
I heard different stories on people who have had the Golf R/S3 intercooler. I know it won't give me peak gains, but it just allows the engine to manage the added heat better, making for more consistent power, not necessarily more.

APR is so expensive though...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Yep, you get what you pay for mostly. Look for used APR, Wagner or Uni, thats what I did. It is not a wear item and as long as the fins aren't all crushed, a used one can save you money and give you best bang for your buck.