GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2006 MKV GTi turbo replacement.

Rodrigo9411

So, my turbo recently died on my 2006 MKV (2.0 FSI) gti, oil got into it and it just threw white smoke everywhere when running. I bought a used turbo, supposedly from a 2009 MKV (which I think it's 2.0 TSI) before taking apart the old one, bad idea.

It results that the turbos were not the same, I managed to find connections for all the missing hoses and sensors except for one that is on what I assume is the intake part (opposite to the manifold).

My question is, did turbos change from 2006 to 2009? And, what is the function of the missing pipe?

Here are some photos from the old one and the new one (new is left/up, old is right/down)

20200319_170310.jpg

Old
20200319_170339.jpg

New
20200319_170341.jpg

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
They switched from the FSI motor that you have to the TSI motor in 2009. With a little searching using Google you should be able to find the differences and find out if it can be modified and used. The best thing is to find a turbo from any year but 2009. Also note, they switched to the TSI motor mid year 2008 so some of the 2008 engines were FSI and the later ones were TSI.

Go to https://www.google.com/ in your preferred web browser.
  1. Click the search bar. It's in the middle of the page.
  2. Indicate that you want to search a specific site. Type site: into the search bar.
  3. Type in your site's address without the "www" part. ...
  4. Press the spacebar. ...
  5. Enter a search term or phrase. ...
  6. Press ↵ Enter .

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW, my BPY's turbo looks more like the lower turbo in your photos. Even if you can make it fit, it might have a different wastegate duty cycle than the original turbo. Best bet is to locate a metal tag on the turbo that will have both a model number (KK3) and a part number (such as 06F145701D or E or F or G). Swap in a turbo with a matching part number.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I believe your concern is for the vent tube or breather tube. Yours has an alloy corrugated tube and the replacement TSI has a soft "Vent Hose" connection that attached to the intake of the TSI. If all else connects, you'll need to find a way to connect the rocker cover port of your engine to the new turbo's inlet. Or, you can vent-to-atmosphere from the rocker cover. ↓ This is the TSI that your replacement turbo came from ↓ ...see "Vent Hose".
tsi.png

Last edited:

Rodrigo9411

I believe your concern is for the vent tube or breather tube. Yours has an alloy corrugated tube and the replacement TSI has a soft "Vent Hose" connection that attached to the intake of the TSI. If all else connects, you'll need to find a way to connect the rocker cover port of your engine to the new turbo's inlet. Or, you can vent-to-atmosphere from the rocker cover.View attachment 168082
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it so much. I'll explain it to my mechanic and in case it is not possible then I'll try to exchange it.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Cool, yeah...just need to figure out a way to connect the port exiting the rocker cover to the turbo inlet coupler that will be between the intake and turbo. As I said, there's an option. You can just run a hose from the rocker cover down underneath the car avoiding hot spots and zip-tie the hose along the way to keep it secure. You should add a small filter to the end of the hose so to keep out critters. Pic is not mine but...but from the rocker cover to underneath, like this....
89519082_3358172347544811_8727214412638715904_n.jpg

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Great posts ROH ECHT
Thanks...how you been? Your build done now? I'll check. I haven't been very active in a bit, but I finally got here.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Doing great, hunkered down at home like most of America. I finished the build last Oct and got it on the road briefly only to have an engine failure. Doh!! Tuner gave me the car back with 2 tunes, one with 380 and one with 480whp. Car shipped with the 480 in place and unfortunately he did not swap in colder plugs so the car failed in the first lap basically. Two spark plugs melted into motor. Motor still runs but it needs to come apart or be replaced.

So, I have lined up a few choices
1. Give up and just part out the car.
2. Find a Golf MK6 R with low mileage and transfer over the myriad of parts I have.
3. Find someone to R&R the motor and go back to simpler times and just run the 380whp tune if the turbo and most of the motor are not severely damaged.
4. Have IE build me a new motor and swap it in.
5. I actually found a MK5 GTI that has low mileage K04 with almost all of my upgrades for a very reasonable price. I could part my car out and it would pay for almost all of this car.

So thats where I am at...... should have stayed K04 and enjoyed it.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Doing great, hunkered down at home like most of America. I finished the build last Oct and got it on the road briefly only to have an engine failure. Doh!! Tuner gave me the car back with 2 tunes, one with 380 and one with 480whp. Car shipped with the 480 in place and unfortunately he did not swap in colder plugs so the car failed in the first lap basically. Two spark plugs melted into motor. Motor still runs but it needs to come apart or be replaced.

So, I have lined up a few choices
1. Give up and just part out the car.
2. Find a Golf MK6 R with low mileage and transfer over the myriad of parts I have.
3. Find someone to R&R the motor and go back to simpler times and just run the 380whp tune if the turbo and most of the motor are not severely damaged.
4. Have IE build me a new motor and swap it in.
5. I actually found a MK5 GTI that has low mileage K04 with almost all of my upgrades for a very reasonable price. I could part my car out and it would pay for almost all of this car.

So thats where I am at...... should have stayed K04 and enjoyed it.
I read through your thread, and yeah...I saw the plug pics. It would seem to me that not much damage was done to the internals...as long as rods weren't bent. I wish you had had better luck with it when all was done, rather than having it run for just a short time. You didn't deserve that. I have searched for a MK6 Golf R long or short block through VW and I can't find any. I was hoping one could be gotten so I could store it for the future if needed. But I have been taking it easy on the MK5 over the past few years, so I don't see the need for it really. I know a guy here that built his Evo X and his tuner blew the motor while tuning it...and put the responsibility of repairs on the owner of the Evo.