GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2006 GTI tail light coding help

Weixb

Car(s)
2006 GTI
Hi all!

I recently purchased a 2006 GTI and have been having some problems with the taillights. The previous owner had problems with the xenons, and swapped out the old CECM and pitched it. I'm unsure if he transferred coding, etc. The current board is a C30 937 049 Q.

I'm unfamiliar with how stock lights should work, but currently:

Reverse lights work, and are the bullseye on the inner lights (on trunk)
When brakes are depressed, the inner half of the outer lamp engages along with the light bar on the top of the trunk.
When turn signals are engaged, the outer half of the outer lamp engages.
At night, there are no rear running lights- completely dark on the back unless you apply brakes/turn signals.

Is it possible to recode this using VCDS? Does anyone know the stock configuration to get these lights working properly? I'm driving from Iowa City IA to Boston MA soon, and would very much like to not only have to drive during daylight hours...

Thanks for your help, and hope y'all are healthy!

Thomas

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah that sounds like a coding issue. I believe when stock, the brakes should be the outer lights, but a full circle. And the turns should just be the outer halves. I don’t have the stock coding on hand, unfortunately.

Weixb

Car(s)
2006 GTI
Good to know, thanks! Hopefully the long coding helper in VCDS will give me some basic options that can help remedy the situation- I just don't want to brick the CECM doing something stupid! If anyone else has useful info, please let me know!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Good to know, thanks! Hopefully the long coding helper in VCDS will give me some basic options that can help remedy the situation- I just don't want to brick the CECM doing something stupid! If anyone else has useful info, please let me know!

The NAR GTI stock coding for the rear tail lights should be 1400000014 for bytes 09-13

EX NAR stock 08 GTI with non headlight washer 178D8F214004150047140000001400000028770B5C000100000000000000

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Yea sounds like the previous owner may have had euro tail lights installed. There's a block in the coding that tells the blinker to also be a brake light. For euro tails, you disable the brake light feature on the blinker wire.

Weixb

Car(s)
2006 GTI
The NAR GTI stock coding for the rear tail lights should be 1400000014 for bytes 09-13

EX NAR stock 08 GTI with non headlight washer 178D8F214004150047140000001400000028770B5C000100000000000000

Yea sounds like the previous owner may have had euro tail lights installed. There's a block in the coding that tells the blinker to also be a brake light. For euro tails, you disable the brake light feature on the blinker wire.

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping it's just something small like this- I'll check out the coding when my VCDS comes on Tuesday. It makes sense that the CECM may have been used on a car running euro tails- I'll post again to update once I've had a chance to look at the coding!

Thanks again for the help, you guys are awesome!

Thomas

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Check your tail light connectors. Should be 3 wires. If the previous owner had LEDs installed they may have run a 4th wire to the tail connectors. Then stock coding wouldn’t function as normal.