GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

180 mph?

marx92x

Autocross Newbie
Does anyone else here find it interesting that VW thought they needed the speedometer readout go all the way to 180 mph?

Was this a 'fast' inspired thing? I know the top speed is like 130-140, but even with all the Neuspeed chips and big-turbos in the world, there's got to be one heck of a physical aerodynamic restriction on the top speed of a Golf.

Sure it's cool, but it leaves little room to accurately read the MPHs I use everyday (0-70).

Perhaps those guys in Wolfsburg are having a little fun with us?

Brandon

Oval Newbie
I don't think it's far fetched to hit 180mph...sure it'll take some pretty big mods but it's definitely possible....aggressive mapping, performance exhaust, bigger turbo, wilder cams, valve job, head job....I definitely think it's possible. It would take alot of the drivability away though and it certainly wouldn't be what makes the GTIV so special...the mixture of performance with easy, comfortable, safe driving.

GTI DSG Freude am Fahren

Drag Race Newbie
.... you know we have the "Autobahn" and you can go as fast as your car can do. Realisticly 150 for the GTI (European models) :headbang:

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
And on the Autobahn 150mph really isn't all that fast(in some places). Especially when you get passed by an Porsche, RS6, S4, etc.

Bouston

Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
GTI DSG Freude am Fahren said:
Hallo Mr selbsternannter Autobahntester, Du bist hier einfach im falschen Forum! Hier geht´s nun mal um GTIs.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I couldn't speak German to save my life :laugh: . I'm stationed in Heidelberg (US Army) for the next couple of years.

GTI2007

marx92x said:
Does anyone else here find it interesting that VW thought they needed the speedometer readout go all the way to 180 mph?

Was this a 'fast' inspired thing? I know the top speed is like 130-140, but even with all the Neuspeed chips and big-turbos in the world, there's got to be one heck of a physical aerodynamic restriction on the top speed of a Golf.

Sure it's cool, but it leaves little room to accurately read the MPHs I use everyday (0-70).

Perhaps those guys in Wolfsburg are having a little fun with us?

Same sort of thing is on the TDI's also. The 140 HP 2.0 TDI has a maximum speed of 130 mph and has a speedometer that goes to 160 mph

Bouston

Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
GTI DSG Freude am Fahren said:
... so if you are here for some more years, start learning German today :thumbsup:
You already know Autobahn !

Yeah, your right. Maybe after 3 years I'll be able to complete a sentence:biggrin:

Herby

Autocross Newbie
Most speedometers have a standard...it doesn't mean they can goo that fast, thats just the template most companies use...

Sauceboy01

Touring Car Newbie
you know i've always hated that.. When a friend or someone who doesn't know much about cars sits down in your car and looks at your Speedo and says.. wow, your car can go 160MPH??! or they'll come up to me and say, "dude i saw a Civic the other day that can go 180mph!!!"

Ah!!! so agrivating!