GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0W-20 VW 508/508 oil analysis/comparison

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
All true.

But I still put in 0w40 in my veHicle all yr long. And i still wouldn’t recommend anyone run 20w oil in a tuned dit car. I sure dont, 20w oem fill went out at 1.5k with first oil change.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
All true.

But I still put in 0w40 in my veHicle all yr long. And i still wouldn’t recommend anyone run 20w oil in a tuned dit car. I sure dont, 20w oem fill went out at 1.5k with first oil change.

I wasn’t posting it based on your opinion, just attempted to get the thread back on topic

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I just realized the new CTR also uses 0W-20 as well. I realize that Honda often uses that, but that’s a good powerplant that’s still using thinner oil.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
So what’s the cheapest price per quart on 0w20 508 that you guys have found? Audi dealer near me is cheaper than VW for the Castrol at like 7.50 a qt.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Whats the manual/specs say about oil change interval? Are you guys sticking to that too?

Or is that where the engineers didnt get it correct like the oil weight spec?

@GroceryGTIer even subarus use 0w20, which went out w first oil change at 1500mi. Its the new dit standard.

But why not exceed standards?

Last edited:

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
With advance of oil tech and desire to improve efficiency all the time, it makes sense to see a lot of companies going to 0w-20. I'm sure they did lots of testing to show it worked just fine for most useage and honestly it would probably be fine for most of us using the car as a commuter and even a few pulls here and there hooning around. I think where you'd get into trouble with the thin oils is on a road course or other extreme scenario where oil temps can approach 300F.

The newer specs also have less phosphorus and sulfated ash (IIRC), which prolongs the life of catalytic converts and such.

In the Corvette world, for ages they used 5w30 but the manual called for 15W50 for track use. On the same engine, they switched over to 0w40 now as an oil to cover both street and track use. I don't think oil viscosity is a huge deal, but I will tend to err on the side of safe and get a little thicker oil to help in harder usage scenarios, plus I don't live in any sort of extreme cold climate. I also really don't drive the thing that hard...but I'd rather better protect against bearing wear than save a few thousand miles on my cats. I also always let the car warm up a bit on cold days etc.

If you're super concerned about warranty.....yeah do whatever the manual or dealer says.

It's interesting that VW is going the route of these combo diesel/gas oils for their gas engines vs Dexos1 Gen2 like most other Gas DI engines I'm familiar with (they have both -20 and -30 flavors)

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I'll also say I'm not a huge fan of the expensive boutique oils when it's been proven time and time again that mobil/castrol/whatever work great. When I can get 5 quart jugs at walmart for $22 it's hard to convince me it's worth sending 2-2.5x.... lol. That said, for the 508 spec, even the castrol and Mobil 1 ESP oils are kinda pricey so I guess go with whatever you feel best about or can get a decent deal on and enjoy.

Last edited:

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Mobil 1 ESP should be 24$. I get my Mobil 1 FS for same price and subscribe to similar logic. Mobil has rebates sometimes, last time around 4x 12$, so i got the jugs for 8$ after kickback price of 20$. Lol.

But regularly 24$. Quaker SUD 5w30 Dexos2 is another excellent oil, wish theyd make it in a 5w40 0w40 but for those into a 30 weight flavor, 20$/5qts.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Ah, they don't carry the ESP oils in 5 quart variety locally here last time I checked anyways. I was actually looking into running the 5w30 ESP 504 spec oil vs 0w40 FS that I run now.

The "new" Mobil 1 0w40 made for corvettes would probably be a good option for us as well, but right now I think it only carries that one certification. And since it's a bit of a unicorn oil it's not cheap.

Last edited:

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Whats the manual/specs say about oil change interval? Are you guys sticking to that too?

Or is that where the engineers didnt get it correct like the oil weight spec?

@GroceryGTIer even subarus use 0w20, which went out w first oil change at 1500mi. Its the new dit standard.

But why not exceed standards?

I’m the first one to want to go the route of wanting to overdo it. To your question, and in just a little bit of research that I’ve started is that the 0 on cold start does the least amount of damage to the engine. I’ve always heard this, so not a huge surprise. They’re finding with the lighter weight oils that above 20 is just not needed. Also with the variable value timing, that too thick doesn’t help matters much. The added (two) teeth of the current oil pump causes pressure to build up fast and stay higher to get the lighter weight circulation, and to be easier on the oil pump.
These are a few, I’m still reading about it, as it does interest me to learn about the car I drive to keep it longer.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ah, they don't carry the ESP oils in 5 gallon variety locally here last time I checked anyways. I was actually looking into running the 5w30 ESP 504 spec oil vs 0w40 FS that I run now.

The "new" Mobil 1 0w40 made for corvettes would probably be a good option for us as well, but right now I think it only carries that one certification. And since it's a bit of a unicorn oil it's not cheap.
It's a good thing they don't carry the oil in 5 gallon containers. That thing would be pretty heavy to try and pour into the engine. ?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
err, 5 quart, my bad

I've been shopping around for 5 gallon gas cans

that would be a hell of a deal though, $22 for 5 gallons. Probably worth the hassle lol.

Last edited: