GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

07 GTI starting issue

Maxwell1219

Hello, I am max and recently bought a GTI. This is my first post here. My GTI starts slow in the morning. On the first startup of the day or starting after many hours it takes a little bit longer to crank. It always starts and drives great. What could this be?

Maxwell1219

I forgot to mention that it has brand new spark plugs and that I notice a quick rattle that quickly goes away after about a second or 2.

Backfire

-----------------
Have you checked the battery? My car had a similar behavior as the battery approached the end of its usable life. It still held a charge and would turn the starter, but from day to day it was inconsistent. Some days it would fire right up, other days it would barely crank. A new battery eliminated the inconsistent cranking power. When the old battery was tested, it still showed some life, but the voltage dropped lower than expected under load.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
If the in tank pump isn't getting primed when you open the driver side door because the wiring harness between the door and the car has worn/split over the years then the first crank can take a while. If you ever notice the car doesn't know the driver side door is open (the red screen doesn't turn on or shows the door is shut) that's a pretty good indication. Usually, I'll turn the car on to accessories and wait about 5-10 seconds, then turn it over.