GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

06 DM stage 2+ w/ watermeth-vs- 2012 Cobb freak tune

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well last weekend my club cruised out to Windy city Dubfest. On the way back my buddy with his Cobb tuned MK6 wanted to see how it did against my racecar in a straight line. Let's just say I was very very disappointed. Did a highway run from 40mph, he had a steady pull on me all the way till we shut it down around 120. As soon as we hit it he got about 1/4 car jump on me and then continued to make that gap larger. By the time we shut it down he was a good car and a half in front of me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little pissed, thought for sure the water meth would have made up any difference in power between the better flowing TSI and my "old" FSI but that was not the case.

Those freak tunes are really something else! Considering I'm weighing in at roughly 2900lbs I was even more surprised with the end results.

Edit: I did have a passanger and I'm sure the 245 tires weren't helping either.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I can't believe you're still on that ol' K03, it's time...

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Or its because you drank 'dat DM koolaid

Hey woah woah woah, what you got against the DM tunes? It definitely feels better than my old APR tune I was on and feels a lot faster as well. Just didn't know the TSI on a Cobb freak tune was that freaking fast!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
More of an issue with the people behind the company

Oh totally! Considering they are gone as far as I can tell and I'm stuck here with a flash tool and tune I have no support for anymore. I thought they were doing very well and then issues starting happening, then poof, gone.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
They are out of business? Guess we are in the same boat...

MkvRich

Car(s)
2008 DSG GTI
Well last weekend my club cruised out to Windy city Dubfest. On the way back my buddy with his Cobb tuned MK6 wanted to see how it did against my racecar in a straight line. Let's just say I was very very disappointed. Did a highway run from 40mph, he had a steady pull on me all the way till we shut it down around 120. As soon as we hit it he got about 1/4 car jump on me and then continued to make that gap larger. By the time we shut it down he was a good car and a half in front of me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little pissed, thought for sure the water meth would have made up any difference in power between the better flowing TSI and my "old" FSI but that was not the case.

Those freak tunes are really something else! Considering I'm weighing in at roughly 2900lbs I was even more surprised with the end results.

Edit: I did have a passanger and I'm sure the 245 tires weren't helping either.

JUstin is a scientist when it comes to tuning. I have known him before he became Freak Tune. Just when he was a mechanic at mazda. Very good guy and very humble. He'll be tuning my MK5 soon with Eurodyne.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I have their(DM) old and new versions still on my computer...but back to GIAC since last year.

DM tune felt stronger but it couldn't even beat my best 1/4mi ET and trap of the GIAC K04 HO tune.DM tunes are likely just going to collect digital dust now.

fastwire

Ready to race!
I thought Cobb was a tuner for Asian cars.

Also didn't know that drivermotorsport is out of business? isnt that their status all life? just entered their webpage it still there

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
Cobb is only available for 2010+. The 08.5 -9 MKV are TSIs but still dont have Cobb support yet the ecu is different.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I thought Cobb was a tuner for Asian cars.

Also didn't know that drivermotorsport is out of business? isnt that their status all life? just entered their webpage it still there

Cobb does Ford, Porsche, VW, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mazda Subaru and BMW