GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034 vs. HPA dogbone mount- performance improvement vs Vibration

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That would depend on how harsh you are on the car.

If you're at the track drag racing every day for 10 runs a day I don't think they'd last long. And actually with that type of use I'd go with a more aggressive setup anyway...

But for a sprited driver ripping it up on backroads on the weekend and driving the a->b on the weekdays I would think 50k miles or more should be doable with them before they'd needed replacement.

I don't go to the track but I do run it pretty hard. I'm a courier and race around all day. I just had my car at the dealer for the driver side window switch and asked them to check the OEM mounts and they said that they are fine. I only have the dogbone insert and am FBO with the IS38. 63,000 miles.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I have the instructions from 034 but am hesitant to do it without seeing it done first, especially since it’s apparently not necessary to remove everything they tell you to. I’ve got a floor jack, jack stands and ramps, so I think I’m set but just want to be confident I can finish what I start.

2017 Reflex Silver GTI

Just do what Aphron described.

FWIW I did check the current 034 guide on their website and they no longer recommend to disconnect the sway bar or place from the top (probably because it's unnecessary!). So you can follow their guide if you want:

https://store.034motorsport.com/doc...gti-golf-r-034-509-1035-diy-install-guide.pdf

But really it is straightforward and you shouldn't be worried if you've already lifted the car and done the lower insert previously. Only thing that's different is completely removing the dogbone arm, all 3 bolts, so you can slide the upper insert in place. The reason being the dogbone arm goes through the square hole in the upper insert. It's really not much extra work than doing just the lower. As long has you lift the car level, should be quite easy.

Cool Hand Pete

Ready to race!
Their instructions are dumb. Put on stands. Take out center bolt, remove pendulum arm with two bolts on transmission and take out. Put in a ratchet long extension into bottom of dogbone mount ( not through to top ), start sliding the top insert from the bottom up to the top. Move ratchet extension back and forth as needed and the mount moves enough out of the way to slide the top insert up into the top mount. Make sure that you’re happy where the location is for insert when done. Then install pendulum arm again, making sure it’s centered, then install lower insert, torque the 3 bolts, done. No removing anything other than the dogbone pendulum arm. I also put my transmission in neutral so it’s easy to move the engine around, but make sure to have it well chocked and ebrake on.

Thanks so much for the helpful how-to.

Some have suggested starting the engine before torquing the bolts to spec?

2017 Reflex Silver GTI

Cool Hand Pete

Ready to race!
As long has you lift the car level, should be quite easy.

When you say “level” would I need to use ramps in the front and jack stands in the rear? I just used my Rhino ramps for the lower (no jack stands) and it worked fine.

Edit:

Installed 034 Motorsports upper and lower Dogbone inserts today. For anyone interested, I just used my rhino ramps with 2x6s laying flat on the ground in front of them (not laying on the ramps, just on the ground.)

The engine needed a little coaxing to line up with the 21mm bolt but not much

The NVH is increased but in a good way. It sounds and feels more burbly and vibrates my rear, and the connection to the driveline feels more direct.

2017 Reflex Silver GTI

Last edited:

JonFowler68

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone installed the pendulum with just the upper dogbone insert from 034? The full kit seems to vary from too much NVH to minor NVH but livable. The pendulum is now sold with the upper, with the lower insert sold separately. I drive a manual (golf R) but am looking for smoother downshifts. I don't track the car but know the benefit of stiffer mounts. I had the full HPA kit installed on my mk7 GTI and it was good but the NVH on startup shook the steering wheel a bit and was noticeable at lights. I live in NY so I'm sure the cold didn't help with this but I want to keep this car more OEM+

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I installed CTS motor and trans mount with 034 pendulum plus upper and lower insert all at the same time. NVH is minor and livable. Most noticeable at startup and pretty much none in reverse.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Opinion:

BFI Stage 1 Engine/Trans (v2) mounts + VWR Lower Engine Mount = Tits

Tried 034 insert/pendulum (garbage) - this was before they had their "upper" piece of dog shit metal
Tried APR insert/pendulum (ugh, hate to say it, garbage)
Ended up with VWR (HOLY fucking SHIT what a difference)

The only thing is, subframe needed to be dropped for install. That's alright though, took the opportunity to install a H&R FSB while it was down (RSB went in too) :)

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i'm just mad i still have wheel hop with the HPA dogbone solid arm and 034 upper mounts. I get decent vibs at idle but mostly just if the AC is on. I get a shudder every time i take off from a stop. Once moving its all butter.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
i'm just mad i still have wheel hop with the HPA dogbone solid arm and 034 upper mounts. I get decent vibs at idle but mostly just if the AC is on. I get a shudder every time i take off from a stop. Once moving its all butter.

You on stock tires still?

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT

I have the HPA arm but with BFI Stage 1 Engine and Trans. What conditions are you getting wheel up. I don't launch but after adding the dogbone I can finally hammer it in first and second and just get spin without hop. I don't do it normally but I tested it out just to see. I also have Superpro arms and PS4S tires on right now so that helps too.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Just got done taking my hpa puck and dogbone out, and put in the oem lower puck with 034 top and bottom insert. It feels mostly the same except there are literally no vibrations. Even with the ac on, I love it! To those who are on the fence, I’d ride with someone who has what you’re looking for to see if it’s what you want. Putting the oem lower puck in was GOD AWFUL.. and it’s slightly crooked so it creaks every now and then. Still better than all the hpa vibrations!
What kind of power are you making? Would you say the performance of the 034 inserts is comparable to just the lower HPA puck?

I’m considering getting the upper/lower 034 pucks with both inserts to replace just the lower HPA puck. I don’t want to compromise on performance, I’m just looking for an option with slightly less NVH.

I have the HPA arm but with BFI Stage 1 Engine and Trans. What conditions are you getting wheel up. I don't launch but after adding the dogbone I can finally hammer it in first and second and just get spin without hop. I don't do it normally but I tested it out just to see. I also have Superpro arms and PS4S tires on right now so that helps too.
I have this setup, been running it for like 2-3 years. It’s absolutely solid. Zero wheel hop. UM tuned IS38 GTI.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
So I've had both of these mounts.

The new revision HPA definitely introduced NVH.
The sound I got from the HPA was similar to a catback. Got some good vibrations as well until it broke in. Sounds remained but NVH smoothed out a bit.
I had the 034 engine and transmission mounts when I had the HPA dog-bone mount.

The 034 upper and lower inserts were overall my favorite. Little bit of added noise, but hard to tell since I also added the REVO engine and transmission mounts when I did the inserts. I did however get just the right amount of added feedback from the dog-bone inserts. Felt similar to HPA but not quite as aggressive feeling.

FWIW I now have super pro mounts at all three locations. Little bit of added noise, but the vibration feedback when slipping the clutch is much less than 034 or HPA.
Comparing the HPA lower puck vs stock upper/lower pucks with 034 upper/lower inserts:

Which setup had more NVH and which had better performance? What kind of power were you making?

Aphron

CW :)!
Stage 1 EQT DSG, have had oem, 034, HPA, my favorite setup thus far is BFI Stage 1 Engine, and trans, with 034 dogbone top and bottom insert. I don’t recommend HPA it rattled my teeth out, my current setup you barely notice any vibration, unless stopped with ac on and still very manageable (it’s not a Cadillac lol).

HPA sucked as the worst part was putting an oem puck back into the collar and that was the hardest part of any of them by far. I have an insert from bfi stage 1 but currently happy where it’s at, I can spin in first and second with no wheel hop ever, quite fun! Love this car!

034 was nice when I got them but probably because oem sucked so much, the 034’s then wore out and wish I would’ve spent the money first on bfi. If you have excessive vibrations with this setup, it is most likely not installed correctly.

Last edited: