GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

02E DSG - Repair or Replace?

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Car has ~122k miles on it and the DSG is running Unitronic Stage 2 software. The gearbox is due for service, but have been trying to get it repaired/serviced at the same time since mid last year so I'm not changing fluid twice. Also planned to replace the clutch pack and install a LSD while it was out.

Noise only happens on input shaft for R, 1, 3, & 5. I believe it's a bad bearing because when the noise began almost a year ago, it got quieter as you got to higher gears and was loudest in reverse. Now, it's very loud. Sounds like marbles on the end of a fan spinning in a metal enclosure. Awesome.

I've reached out to the local VW dealer as well as two European performance shops and two well respected transmission shops. Nobody wants to dive into these things. I know a guy who said he could do it, but he's covered up with shop work so have to explore other options. Such as...
  1. Find a shop somewhere to repair the DSG and bring the car or ship the gearbox.
  2. Replace the DSG with a re-manufactured, new, or used (salvage yard) one.
  3. Ditch the car (no way).
  4. Manual swap (meh).
  5. AWD conversion (I'm spending enough money on this thing as is).
Personally, I'd like to fix what I have because it still shifts amazing even with the the noise it makes. Going for a re-manufactured unit is worrisome as it may not have been rebuilt well. Kinda rolling the Dice. New gearbox will be most expensive option, but it'll be factory fresh. Used is a dice roll as something may have happened in the wreck.

So yea, what do you guys think?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well removal, repair and replace flywheel, clutches, seals and fluid and add LSD- set aside at least 5K. It is not cheap, I have already gone through it. I felt same way, if I was going to keep car I was going to pay a bit more to have my own trans rebuilt rather than buy some used trans of unknown condition and hope it was in good shape. Putting 5K into a car that is only worth about 6-7K is something to think about and unless you have rebuilt the motor already you will also be dumping more money into it in the unknown future - maybe next week - maybe in a couple of years.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Exactly. I've been planning for the LSD upgrade and repair for some time so the funds have already been set aside. Just need to decide what to do.

Did you end up replacing yours or getting it repaired? If replaced, did you go reman or used?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
As far as the worth of the car...that goes out the window when you have decided to keep it and you've paid for it.

I'm keeping my '07 and I would rather buy a new OE DSG trans if needed than go out and buy another new car. I once thought if there were trouble with the DSG I would add the LSD at that point...but no longer going to do that. I don't need the LSD. Car is no longer run hard or taken to the track and is now a mildly used daily at 4k miles per year. As long as the car is holding up well and not rotting away...I will stick with it regardless of its needs be it an engine and/or trans. Because I would rather have my '07 with a new engine and/or trans than a POS used car or another new at the cost they are. Just put another 2k into it. New wheel well liners, front splash guard, new headlight assembly, new lpfp, oil filter housing, thermostat, +battery cable, and injectors.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
As far as the worth of the car...that goes out the window when you have decided to keep it and you've paid for it.

I'm keeping my '07 and I would rather buy a new OE DSG trans if needed than go out and buy another new car. I once thought if there were trouble with the DSG I would add the LSD at that point...but no longer going to do that. I don't need the LSD. Car is no longer run hard or taken to the track and is now a mildly used daily at 4k miles per year. As long as the car is holding up well and not rotting away...I will stick with it regardless of its needs be it an engine and/or trans. Because I would rather have my '07 with a new engine and/or trans than a POS used car or another new at the cost they are. Just put another 2k into it. New wheel well liners, front splash guard, new headlight assembly, new lpfp, oil filter housing, thermostat, +battery cable, and injectors.

I would like to keep it. Was my dad's before it was mine and we've both worked on it so there's sentimental value. Plus it's a great car.

VW told me there are no "new" DSG options for my car. Only reman which they say will run me $4343 for the gearbox alone :). I did find a used one with 57k miles for $750. Since I'm going to replace the transmission it can't hurt to drive the car. Just sounds terrible lol, but might as well do so at least until it decides to eat itself.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I have one for you...a guy locally that has bought some parts from me alerted me he is selling his '07.

You ready for this? It has 37k miles on it....has a LSD and APR stage 2 tune, votex grounds effect, , Audi A8 wheels, upgraded Nav stereo, driver gear bits and more. He's asking $15,950, but there may be a little bit of wiggle room from that number. This guy is in his 70's, has a couple of Porsche's and more. He never drove it much. He turned down a $16k offer a bit over a year ago, but now does want to sell it. I might share it in the for sale section...

GTI #1.JPGGTI #2.JPGGTI #3.JPGGTI #4.JPGGTI #5.JPGGTI #6.JPGGTI #7.JPGGTI #8.JPG

Attachments

• 2007vwmk5golfgti15950.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Exactly. I've been planning for the LSD upgrade and repair for some time so the funds have already been set aside. Just need to decide what to do.

Did you end up replacing yours or getting it repaired? If replaced, did you go reman or used?

Mine didn't break, I was just refreshing it at 70K miles because I was about to go big turbo. I put in new clutches, LSD and a Seatrab based cooling system along with all the bits and pieces. I took the car down for complete rebuild front to back at 74K miles. Still has under 75K miles but most of the major parts only have less than 100 miles on them.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I have one for you...a guy locally that has bought some parts from me alerted me he is selling his '07.

You ready for this? It has 37k miles on it....has a LSD and APR stage 2 tune, votex grounds effect, , Mercedes wheels, upgraded Nav stereo, driver gear bits and more. He's asking $15,950, but there may be a little bit of wiggle room from that number. This guy is in his 70's, has a couple of Porsche's and more. He never drove it much. He turned down a $16k offer a bit over a year ago, but now does want to sell it. I might share it in the for sale section...

View attachment 171814View attachment 171815View attachment 171816View attachment 171817View attachment 171818View attachment 171819View attachment 171820View attachment 171821

BEAUTIFUL car, and I'm a huge MK5 fan, but almost $16k for a 2007 (13 year old GTI) is pretty steep. That's MK7 GTI money right there
It's clean and low mileage, but still. He's gonna be sitting on that for a while waiting for the right buyer

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I think it's a bit high priced as well. However, if one really wants a very nice MK5...it's low miles, color matching Votex and the driver gear bits, upgraded Nav Stereo, new catch-can, stage 2 w/DP & intake, and has the LSD installed. Really, they are looking at what? A $10k car and the addition of all the extras? Then it makes sense because it isn't just a low miles mk5. But one really has to know this...otherwise they only see $16k price tag. I am thinking he will come down to $15k. And yes, going to take someone with a special interest in it and all it offers. I really think he is thinking he still would rather hold on to it if someone isn't willing to pay what it is worth in his mind.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I think it's a bit high priced as well. However, if one really wants a very nice MK5...it's low miles, color matching Votex and the driver gear bits, upgraded Nav Stereo, new catch-can, stage 2 w/DP & intake, and has the LSD installed. Really, they are looking at what? A $10k car and the addition of all the extras? Then it makes sense because it isn't just a low miles mk5. But one really has to know this...otherwise they only see $16k price tag. I am thinking he will come down to $15k. And yes, going to take someone with a special interest in it and all it offers. I really think he is thinking he still would rather hold on to it if someone isn't willing to pay what it is worth in his mind.

It is certainly priced way over current market, but it is an unusually clean low mileage example that was outfitted quite nicely. I suspect the car looks much more impressive in person as it looks very crisp and clean in the photos. Perhaps there is someone one out there that owned a MKV before and for sentimental reasons would like to have one again that is willing to pay the price. At 16k the owner really is saying he isn't that interested in selling the car. However compliments to him on his car, anyone of us MKV guys would be proud to own it.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
It is certainly priced way over current market, but it is an unusually clean low mileage example that was outfitted quite nicely. I suspect the car looks much more impressive in person as it looks very crisp and clean in the photos. Perhaps there is someone one out there that owned a MKV before and for sentimental reasons would like to have one again that is willing to pay the price. At 16k the owner really is saying he isn't that interested in selling the car. However compliments to him on his car, anyone of us MKV guys would be proud to own it.
I agree wholeheartedly. The guy loves his cars. This one he is especially proud of having kept it clean, rarely driven and all else.