GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Can some one send me a picture of the metal valve stems they got from apex? I went to get my wheels mounted but the tire shop told me that apex sent me tpms valve stems that are to large for my car. Here is a picture. I have only ever use rubber ones so I’m confused on the Install and if the tire shop is giving me correct Info. They told me the gap between both grommets is to large and they feel that if they tighten further they will damage the inner threads and or wheelView attachment 225762View attachment 225763
Already installed mine, and unfortunately don't have a picture, but that looks familiar and if memory serves me correctly, mine said tpms as well. Don't see why they couldn't install regardless if you have tpms or not. They're just valve stems.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
The valve stems we sell are compatible with TPMS sensors (hence the labeling) but do not require sensors to install in the wheels. When using the metal valve stems without sensors, you will basically torque them down until you hear the crush washer "set". I will try to find some visuals and/or a better explanation for the install and post them later today, as we have seen this question come up a couple of times before.

The torque setting in which the crush washer sets should be 4 nm or 35 in/lbs. You can use a torque wrench to reach this without risking any damage to the wheel or stem.

-Geirsen

Last edited:

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
The valve stems we sell are compatible with TPMS sensors (hence the labeling) but do not require sensors to install in the wheels. When using the metal valve stems without sensors, you will basically torque them down until you hear the crush washer "set". I will try to find some visuals and/or a better explanation for the install and post them later today, as we have seen this question come up a couple of times before.

The torque setting in which the crush washer sets should be 4 nm or 35 in/lbs. You can use a torque wrench to reach this without risking any damage to the wheel or stem.

-Geirsen
Thanks for the advise. I will have another tire shop look into it. One thing I did notice was that as I begin to torque down the thread feels like it’s about to strip and I don’t have enough force to hold onto it from inside the rim to ensure it grabs well.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
At this time, we are not planning on pursuing a "winter-specific" SM-10 without the spoke scalloping and knurled beading. The cost difference wouldn't be all that much compared to the current design and it would be a difficult wheel to sell at any other time throughout the year. We will likely be offering the standard 17x8.5" ET43 VW SM-10 at a discount this year for those who are looking for a winter wheel/tire package. We are not 100% sure on if that will be a Group Buy or a more traditional retail sale but I should have some more concrete information going into September.

-Geirsen

Hey Geirsen, any update on winter wheels?

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
So i ended up taking the wheels to a reputable vw/Audi/porche shop and they told me the valves apex sent were no good. They were way to loose even after they tightened past the crush washer. I decided to just buy rubber valves instead.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
How susceptible to damage are these wheels. For instance dropping a lug stud/nut on them. Do they scratch easily? My RSe10s are super soft and scratch easily.

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
How susceptible to damage are these wheels. For instance dropping a lug stud/nut on them. Do they scratch easily? My RSe10s are super soft and scratch easily.
I haven’t had them on long enough to tell but I did ceramic coat them so hopefully that helps.
F6EEDA02-27AA-4BE7-9A8B-076FBC3A533B.jpeg

Terriquez88

Go Kart Champion
that's a great shot! and the first time I see the red centercaps. I think it's a bit too bright to match the calipers, do you have more pictures?
I agree it is slightly brighter. My car is tornado red under the wrap so I hope to one day match the colors. But for now I will deal with it lol. Here are some more pics.
899E34F9-7DC0-417C-B7CF-9F0886F294CC.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Hey Geirsen, any update on winter wheels?

Currently working finalizing on our VW Fall sale this week. No plans for bringing on winter tires due to availability issues but we are still trying to add AS4s to the catalog this Fall. Stay tuned for more details regarding our VW sale as we get into October!

-Geirsen