GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. J

How do I remove Bumper Covers Under Headlights

Did some searching and striking out. I hope this is quick and simple. Is is possible to remove the single piece (mine is 2008) covers in the front bumper just beneath the headlights? This is the cover where the headlight washer system would normally go if installed. If possible, do they...
  2. J

VAG COM & Headlamp Washer Qs

Couple of quick questions I hope I can find answers to here. Has anyone added the headlamp washer system to a 2007+ GTI (after the system was no longer included on the cars)? If so, what was required? Install the parts and a few VAG COM changes? Or is it impossible due to other changes to...
  3. J

Experience Exporting VW to Germany?

Work has sent me to Germany for an indefinite period of time. Long story short, I need a car due to where I work, and I'm trying to compare buying a car in Germany vs shipping the GTI over. So far, 2 things have become obvious: 1) Buying a car in Germany is freakin expensive. I cannot believe...
  4. J

Smoke Under Hard Throttle?

This is another one of those weird issues. Ran a few searches, but seem to be striking out. I notice, every few weeks, that if I'm cruising along, give the car some good throttle (not necessarily full, but enough to induce a couple gear kickdowns, up to 4500k+ RPM) that I'll get what appears...
  5. J

Any New DSG Updates?

Simple question, did some searching, can't seem to find anything out there. Haven't been on here in months. Just wondering if there have been any new computer flashes to help improve shifting. The car works fine, but it still drives me nuts that at lower rpm, downshifts seem to slightly over...
  6. J

Speaker Buzz when Radio On?

When I turn on the radio, sounds like one of my speakers may give off a slight buzz. zzzzzzz for maybe 1 second. Then everything seems to operate normally. Does it every time the radio turns on. Is this on all cars? If not, any ideas what it might be? May have to go back to the dealer. Great.
  7. J

Cabin Air Filter - When to Change?

About that simple. Maintenance book says something along the lines of 20k miles for Jetta City and some other car, but does not mention Golf or GTI. Shows 40k all models this should be replaced. 40k miles seems long to me. But if it isn't necessary, then why replace. Also would seem odd...
  8. J

Rookie Here - Catch Can Suggestions

I've tried running some searches, but unfortunately "can" is excluded from searches. So struggling a bit. I've got the FSI, 2008, all stock. Will keep it that way and keep the car for quite a long time. I'm thinking I'd like to install a catch can (though on the fence). Where the heck...
  9. J

DSG Recall / Campaign Clarification

Running some searching, reading some threads, but having a bit of confusion as to what is up with the DSG "recall". In spring 2009, I had the mechatronics unit replaced because I was having the common (at that time) light throttle, stop-and-go traffic surging problem. Since that time, the...
  10. J

Some Fueling & Starting Troubleshooting Questions

Had a thread I started months ago. Checked in, no dice on any solution. So, I've started exploring causes of the starting stumble I experience I'd say 75% of the mornings. Maybe 1-2x in the 2.5 years I've had the car I'd say it has actually died and required a 2nd start. Most of the time it...
  11. J

New and Better Horn

Not quite sure if this belongs here or in the mods section.... Had a 1997 Mazda Miata with some crazy red italian air horns. Loved them. The GTI horn is not nearly as wimpy as the OEM Miata's, but I'm kinda thinking I might like something with a really unique sound, not just super loud, but...
  12. J

On / Start Volume Not Operating Correctly?

Struggling a bit here and need a bit of assistance. I've got a 2008 with the premium audio. I had a CDC Hardware Error with the original head unit, and this unit was replaced under warranty. However, the on / start / start-up volume (sorry I don't have the manual with me now, so I don't...
  13. J

Hatch Light Slow to Come On

I suspect this may be in the wrong area. If so I apologize in advance. Main issue is that when I open the hatch, sometimes takes 30-60 seconds for the hatch light to come on. It has been cold (15F) over the past few weeks, so I suspect it is cold related. Dealer said they didn't notice a...
  14. J

Hard Start When Cold

I've searched, I've participated in other threads, but I still can't seem to find much info on what is causing this hard or difficult starting problem when the car is cold. Now that winter has hit and it is in the 20's outside, after the car sits for many many hours, I crank, and the car has...
  15. J

Change Computer Service Interval?

Simple question for which I cannot find the answer in my searches.... How do I set the computer to the 10k "normal" service interval. I did an oil change at 10k and now its saying I need another in 400 miles (15k). I want it to be set on the normal interval and not the severe one. Please...
  16. J

Door Squeak?

I've noticed this on my car, as well as a friend's 2007 A4...so maybe its a common VW/Audi thing. Anyway, it seems that as I drive and the chassis flexes (so over undulating pavement especially) it sounds as if the door is moving up and down and creating a little rubbing sound. Anyone else...
  17. J

I've Decided I Don't Like the DSG

You can get some background here if you'd like: http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82359 But overall, after having the car since September, I've officially decided the DSG blows. Maybe not quite blows, but it is not nearly what most people make it out to be. First off, it is superb at...
  18. J

Best Chicago Area Dealer for Service

I hit up the thread regarding good dealerships in Chicagoland, however, I'm just looking for a good service department. I've got a couple items I want to have looked at under warranty (fuel line rattle is happening, my pass seat belt buckle rattles, my rear seat armrest doesn't fit into its...
  19. J

DSG Downshift Jerkiness?

Did some searching but kinda striking out. I think this is fairly easy to describe, and I'm curious if this is normal or if I may need to have them take a look or do some kind of software update, if there is such a thing. Car is fine when in D. No probs. However, when I move it to manual...
  20. J

CD Text Displayed?

Ha, I tried a search but "CD" is too short so I couldn't get anything. Obviously the radio display shows Sirius information. Is there any way to make it show CD track information instead of just "Track 01" on the display?