GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. nhbubba

VW gas caps

I have an '09 JSW SEL, which has the 2.0T, like the GTI. However, it does not have the remote operated fuel door like the GTI. Instead the door is operated by just pressing on it to open it. Yes, any fool can screw with my gas cap. I recently sprouted a problem where I get a "fuel cap" warning...
  2. nhbubba

Oil drain plug with a threaded sleeve?

So I'm at 50k miles, time for an oil change. Nice Sunday, no problems, right? Last change I had some weeping from the oil drain plug. Figured my cheap-ass re-use of the aluminum washer was catching up to me. So I added a 10 pack of washers and a branzy new drain plug onto my last filter and...
  3. nhbubba

Detailing supplies for a noob

So I have a week off coming up, access to a random orbit polisher, and interest in trying my hand at a full detail. I've read the sticky (thanks Daytona) before. Although a re-read probably wouldn't kill me. I've never clayed a car. Always just smeared some wax on after washing and called it a...
  4. nhbubba

MPG Thread

Post your last tank... '09 JSW SEL - 2.0T TSI - 6MT 373.0 mi x 11.527 gal => 32.4 MPG Up 2.7 MPG over my last. Probably my 2nd best tank ever.. With a failing coil no less.
  5. nhbubba

Flashing CEL, help with diagnosis

Lately I have experienced bucking, stuttering and/or momentary loss of power in 6th gear under heavy/full throttle at moderately low (~2k) RPM. I have been convinced this was initial clutch failure and the clutch was slipping. However, I have not observed clear spikes in RPM when this happens...
  6. nhbubba

Your VW got the rattles? That's nothing! - Classic Mini content

My first ever attempt at youwe tubin'... A653o9aazCM 1970/1989 Mini with a non-mini 1275cc transplant and a crappy carb tune... Whole car shakes at idle. We also found the engine mount was loose. Engine rocks back and forth in the mount when he launches it from a stop.
  7. nhbubba

Bent steelie, replace or repair?

Walked out of work yesterday to find this, tire half deflated. Seems I'll be swapping the factory all-seasons/alloys back on early this year. Tire has a bunch of meat left on it. So my question is, anyone have an opinion as to if this can be repaired? Or should I just replace it. I'd rather...
  8. nhbubba

2012 Ford Focus

Looks like the embargo is up, some reviews showing up: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/31/2012-ford-focus-first-drive-review-road-test/ Discuss...
  9. nhbubba

Home improvement thread

Into improving the ol' homestead? Bought yourself a fixer upper? Maybe you've just blown a pile of green on new appliances for el casa? Lets hear about it.
  10. nhbubba

DIY Gaming Wheel Stand

So I recently had a momentary lapse of reason and bought myself a Fanatec 911 Turbo S gaming wheel setup. Wicked expensive, but good quality and works with PC, Xbox 360, and PS3. I game on 2 out of 3 of those-primarily the 360. Having blown the budget (and then some) on the wheel kit, I'm in...
  11. nhbubba

Autoblog podcast

So I do an hour+ each way in the car 3-4 days a week. Part of my way of coping is audiobooks and podcasts. Most podcasts really don't hold my attention well. Except the AB 'cast. For those that havne't heard it, it's basically a bunch of guys from AB that sit around BS'ing about cars for an...
  12. nhbubba

NHBubba's bike thread

It.. is.. ALIVE! This is my 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200 (which I shorthand as a 'B12'). I bought it new in '01 after graduating and finally making "the big bux". After a couple changes in direction and a wee 'bout of unemployment, I put it away in storage at my family's house and left it there for...
  13. nhbubba

El-oh-frickin'-el: 80% of BMW 1-series drivers think they are FWD!

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/23/the-craziest-damn-thing-youll-hear-today-80-of-bmw-1-series-o/
  14. nhbubba

NH Storm of Feb 25/26

Anybody got power? 'Cause I don't. Had to shower at the office this morning. I have a good 16-20" diameter pine down in my front yard, 2-3 more in the back. Can't believe they all missed the house and power lines. Feelin' lucky about that. Headed east on 101 and south on 95 I saw a pretty...
  15. nhbubba

Sell me a MacBook

So I am a long-time PC/Windows guy who is dangerously close to pulling the trigger and buying his first OS X rig and is looking for a good solid shove over the edge. I am in the market for a new laptop and am very disappointed at everything out there nowadays. I've surveyed the market from the...
  16. nhbubba

Best snow tire

Who makes the best snow-tire? Tirerack seems to have some pretty good deals on snows, especially when packaged with steelies and mounting/balancing. These catch my eye:Firestone Winterforce - Studdable Snow - $77.00 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D - Performance Snow - $98.00 Bridgestone Blizzak...
  17. nhbubba

NHBubba's '09 Jetta SportWagon SEL

JettaMkV.com has a section for threads about each members car. I like that idea, so I'm copying it here. I'm probably being an attention whore, but hopefully folks will let me have my little play-pen. I intend to tack on mini-reviews/commentary of the crap I bolt on the car. 2009 Jetta...
  18. nhbubba

Autoblog: Ford discovers circa 2006 VAG technology, markets for MY2011

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/21/ford-officially-confirms-four-cylinder-ecoboost/ Let's get this straight. This 'ecoboost' is a 2.0L I4 gas engine with direct injection and a turbo-charger. Good for about 230HP. .. Sound familiar to anyone 'round here? :bonk: I usually try not to fanboi too...
  19. nhbubba

Can I get 30+ MPG in a MkV GTI?

Greetings. I currently drive a 1999 Mazda Miata MX-5 (1.8L I4, 5-speed manual). I'm a long-distance commuter. I lay down 90-miles/day. That is about 30 miles of Interstate, 55 miles of state highway and 5 miles of winding back-roads between my castle and the highway. On the Interstate I just...