GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. A

Mityvac oil extractor

Anyone use a Mityvac 7201 extractor? I was only able to get about 3 quarts out, not counting anything that might be in the filter housing. I definitely got the tube inserted as far as possible but just not sure if it was actually to the bottom. I was probably a quart low to begin with. So with a...
  2. A

Driver Motorsport K04+

Anyone here still running DM K04+ tuning? I'm not sure if I'm having issues or not but trying to figure out how much boost I should be seeing. I haven't yet run logs to see requested boost but my slipping clutch hasn't ben slipping lately so I'm thinking I might not be running at 100%.
  3. A

Boost leak, intake whoosh, or turbo spool?

So I finally removed and dumped the insulation from the underside of the hood this weekend because it's been sagging for a long time. Then today I swore I had a massive boost leak as I heard this obvious whoosh whenever I boosted over 0psi. It wasn't until I got home and opened the hood to...
  4. A

Rear hatch struts

So this just happened... The little ball joint nipple literally pulled out of the fitting. It must have been working it's way out for a while but I never noticed it. It definitely enlarged the hole to the point where it can't be secured again. Anyone deal with this before? If I can't get...
  5. A

Suspension refresh?

2008 Gti with 130k miles, Eibach Pro Kit springs with Koni FSD shocks/struts - just a DD, no track use. I don't have any specific suspension issues but figure it might be worth refreshing some of the supporting suspension components - maybe new control arm bushings, tie rods, strut mounts, ball...
  6. A

Subframe locking collars - TyrolSport vs ECS

Any particular reason the TyrolSport Deadset locking collar kit is worth 100% more than ECS version? I realize the ECS kit is aluminum collara and OEM bolts compared to brass collars and ARP bolts for TyrolSPort...but $112 vs $225?
  7. A

"Mild" motor mount options?

I'm considering an upgraded motor mount but don't want something that drastically increases vibrations in the car. I've got the BSH dogbone mount and insert alreadt but seems my original motor mount might be in need of a refresh - 10 years and 130k miles. Are there upgrades that are maybe just...
  8. A

Exhaust/gas fumes in cabin during start

This seems to have come on all of a sudden. Whenever I start the engine I get a strong dose of gas/exhaust fumes inside the car. I'd say it's worse when the engine is cold. Sniffing around the engine bay while running (and warm) I get essentially nothing. Likewise, nothing significant at the...
  9. A

Ignition starter switch replacement

I've been getting a few ignition switch electrical fault codes that point to the switch going bad. I also have a run down battery on a regular basis and slow starting that I'm betting is related. So I want to replace the starter switch before I consider taking it to a shop. Anyone have any...
  10. A

What's a stock exhaust worth?

Not advertising to sell it here. Someone local needs a stock exhaust (rear section only) and I have no idea what it's worth. I was holding it for when I eventually get rid of the car but that's a few years out so I'd consider selling it if the price is right but I don't know what to ask. It's...
  11. A

Anyone running the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus?

Time for new tires and I wasn't even going to think twice about another set of Pilot Super Sports - best warm season grip of any street tire for a DD. But poking around on TireRack I found the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. It's new so only has about 300k miles worth of review but looks great...
  12. A

Why LSD for DD?

The only reason I'm not satisfied with my MKV is basically FWD struggling to put the power down. I really want something with awd - Golf R, A3/S3, TTS but I ended up doing the timing belt, thermostat, and water pump recently so I need to keep this car for another couple years due to that...
  13. A

Redline vs Liqui-Moly?

Opinions on Redline vs Liqui-Moly? I've used Redline 5w40 for years and was just about to pick up 5 quarts from Amazon but Liqui-Moly is significantly cheaper. I only need to change my oil about 2x a year so it's not as if an extra $20 each time is a big deal but no sense paying more than...
  14. A

Water pump going bad?

I've been having some ongoing issues with my radiator fans running when I shut the car off. Somewhere along the lines the small fan died so I replaced it. My AC also died since last summer (zero charge) and I got it running again by replacing the high pressure switch and RCV and recharging...
  15. A

Interior door panels

I'm getting a really badly worn spot on the arm rest of my door where my elbow sits. I made it worse a while back when I tried to clean it. Anyone had success in recovering the fabric section?
  16. A

Headliner fail

The fabric on my headliner has been slowly pulling away from the structure and shrinking. it's a good inch too short up by the light cluster at the center of the windshield - to the point where I don't think it's possible to simply spray adhesive it back in place. Has anyone ever recovered the...
  17. A

Timing belt replacement

What should I expect to pay for labor on the timing belt and water pump - a few hours? I'm not interested in in dealing with this DIY.
  18. A

Engine oveheating while driving

Took a road trip last weekend and at one point noticed my temp gauge rising and eventually got up to the edge of the red section of the dial. Odd thing is I was driving 70mph and it was all of 75 degrees outside so cooling airflow should not be an issue. I was in WV and the temp would rise when...
  19. A

Replace BSH intake filter

The filter n my BSH intake has seen better days. I've cleaned it a few times but the rubber is starting to dry rot and the fabric filter under the metal mesh is showing signs of wear. I'll probably just pick up a K&N. What diameter coupling am I looking for? Anything better than a K&N to...
  20. A

DM flash controller and Xconsole issues

I have the original DM flashing controller (not touch screen) and can't get Xconsole to recognize it when hooked to my computer. It's probably been at least a year since I've used it but it worked fine previously. I'm assuming some driver or something got screwed up due to Windows updates. I...