GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. D

'07 GTI--Rough on start up, more

Occasionally, my GTI, which has 61,000 miles on it, runs rough for several seconds on initial start-up. The check engine light has recently come on but I haven't had the fault code(s) checked yet. I think I also have reduced power at low rpm, only with partial throttle. The engine seems to have...
  2. D

GTI v. Tesla

Mine is an '07. It has only 60k miles and it runs well. It's stock. Recently, I was about to get on a freeway onramp (in CA) and a Tesla was behind me. I thought he might want to play so I kept the car in second (6sp) as I entered the ramp. I wanted to keep the revs up. The Tesla swung around...
  3. D

Broken Fuel Door

My son walked into his open fuel door on his '08 Rabbit. These parts are expensive from the dealer. Anyone know of a good source for a fuel door? If all else fails, I told him to try a junk yard. Dan
  4. D

Mark V's Down Under

I just returned from a trip to Australia. I was pleased to see a LOT of Mark V GTI's and R's there. Right hand drive, of course. I was staying with friends who live in a fairly upscale area so I guess that accounts for some of it. But in any case, the Aussies have excellent taste in cars! By...
  5. D

2 Encounters

Ok, neither of these were races but I thought I'd share. This seemed like as good a place for it as any. On Saturday, I saw a hot looking '90-something Mustang. I talked to the owner. He ticked off a large number of mods to the 5.0 and claimed the car had 456 hp to the wheels, all motor. He...
  6. D

'07 6 sp. v. '04 (?) Mustang GT

I've kept my '07 GTI bone stock. After almost 3 years, it still runs great. I've rarely raced it but today, an older GT--'04 or earlier--pulled up next to me at a light near my home. This car looked kind of beat up but at least it was a GT with a manual trans. There was a guy in it with his...
  7. D

Stock GTI v. 350 Z

Had some fun with a Z today. I have an '07 stock 6 sp. I don't know what year the Z was; it wasn't new. It was a 6 sp. We rolled from about 35 or 40 mph - approx. 75. Surprisingly, it was very close. We were neck and neck most of the way and each gained a tiny bit on the other's 2-3 shift. At...
  8. D

'08 Rabbit v. A4 1.8t

My son and I had an impromptu race yesterday--I was driving our '97 A4 1.8T 5 speed and my son in his '07 4 door AT Rabbit. The Audi is chipped; otherwise it's stock. It has over 150,000 miles on it but still feels strong. The Joe Hoppen chip supposedly gave it an extra 37 hp for a total of 187...
  9. D

Ferrari, Porsche.....and GTI

OK, this is mostly one of those "non-races" but it was fun. This morning I drove approx. 10 miles on the coast highway near San Diego alongside a gorgeous red (of course) Ferrari 355 Berlinetta...
  10. D

Cadillac CTS V

Messed around with a Caddy CTS V this am in my (stock) GTI. He was going easy in 1st and 2nd but when I caught up to him, he seemed to get on it in 3rd for a couple of seconds and I pulled him slightly. I say he "seemed" to get on it because I looked up the specs and times for that car, and I...
  11. D

vs WRX

Ran across a first gen. (I think) WRX this am. It had a large exhaust but it wasn't that loud. The guy got on it in second and I pulled him easily and pulled hims again in third. I thought it would be closer or maybe even?? I have a stock 6sp.
  12. D

350Z

I doubt my car is a factory freak but it feels pretty strong on the top end to me. I'm still stock and I'm assuming that if I were chipped, the bolstered mid-range torque would make the top end feel weak by comparison. This morning, I got onto the highway just ahead of a Z that was driving...
  13. D

New VW in the family

I bought my son a new Rabbit over the weekend, a black 4 dr with auto., sunroof and of course, an iPOD adaptor. He's lovin' it and I was happy to be able to get it for him! :biggrin: Now we have 3 vw's in the family (plus and old Audi). They are all great cars. :thumbup: DW
  14. D

vs SHO

Had my first "serious" contest with a M/T Ford SHO in my stock MKV. The Ford was probably stock too. I didn't punch it until I knew he was on it in first gear so he got the jump but I caught him. Pulled him in second until I hit the rev limiter and he pulled close to even :frown: I pulled ahead...
  15. D

MKV v. RSX

A garden-variety RSX wanted to play yesterday. Even short-shifting my 6 sp manual, it wasn't a real contest. I easily kept ahead in 1st and 2nd, then he turned off. Torque is your friend. :thumbup:
  16. D

Funny Sound

When I open the door on my 2dr GTI, I hear some type of elec. motor sound. It's kind of faint. I think this happens only when the car has been sitting for a while but I'm not sure. Have you heard that sound? Do you know what it is? I know it's not the seats or mirrors being adjusted :wink: and...