GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. troyguitar

These new tablet-friendly websites are all terrible

Am I the only one who finds the new websites for just about everything to be getting less and less useful? vw, audi, bmw for example all have new sites within the past year and they are all massively worse than they were before. A decontented website that requires scrolling down vertically 10+...
  2. troyguitar

Can one be unhealthy without any signs?

I've eaten mostly crappy food my entire life, NEEKIE HOWSER claims that I therefore must be unhealthy somehow. Are there no tests that will show this poor health? I'm skinny everywhere, can do 10+ pull-ups, run ~3 miles a day, have normal cholesterol, low blood pressure, low resting heart...
  3. troyguitar

Bought a gaytronic crossover this weekend

After test driving several I finally decided on this 2001 allroad tiptronic, 90k miles green with gray interior. The car is in fantastic shape but needs some work which seems to be the case with every single allroad for sale so I went for it. Air compressor needs rebuilt (kit ordered), rear view...
  4. troyguitar

Need video editing help

Everything out there seems way too complicated or way too simple to accomplish what I thought would be a very basic task. I have 2 videos. I want to overlay one of them on top of the other i.e. picture in picture while retaining audio from the bigger video. Been sitting here trying various...
  5. troyguitar

Troy's "Unicorn" Car and General Car Discussion

This is now the OT car talk thread because Bender doesn't want discussion in other threads.
  6. troyguitar

Any idea how much major CF fabrication costs?

Like fabricating an entire car's worth of panels bumper to bumper - $20k, $50k, $100k?
  7. troyguitar

Anyone compared the cost of driving older vs newer cars?

I've been wondering about this recently. Has anyone compared the overall cost of say a 2 year old used car vs a 12 year old version of the same thing? Where overall means purchase price plus all expenses like loan interest, insurance, gas, maintenance, repairs, rental cars if necessary during...
  8. troyguitar

First Wagon Track Day

(Putting this here since it's not a Golfmk6, feel free to move to track section if desired) Ran the S4 at Pocono yesterday for fun. I was going to wait until I had some more appropriate equipment in place but have been wondering whether to keep the S4 at all versus just buying a Corvette or...
  9. troyguitar

"Speeding doesn't get you there any faster"

On the merits and costs of speeding: I've heard this parroted back at me a few times and have concluded that it is a terrible over generalization. It might be true for city driving but is absolutely not true for me. I've done some experimenting with my new commute and these are the results: I...
  10. troyguitar

2014 Corvette Wagon

I think this deserves its own thread. How has this article been out since May and I have not seen it? This will be the coolest car on the planet: http://chevroletautostore.com/callaway-cars-reveals-2014-corvette-based-aerowagon-concept/...
  11. troyguitar

How to get Android to do what iPhone does?

OK Android folks, I still think my old iPhone 4S was superior to my new Samsung Galaxy S4 in many ways. Here I'm going to post some examples of things I used to do on my iPhone (stock, with no apps written by 13 year olds in Taiwan) that I have not yet figured out how to do. The first one is...
  12. troyguitar

Gf car search is over

No real pics yet as we are still driving it home for the next 7 hours or so, but after an exhaustive search ending with a requirement list of: Small awd automatic with non-black interior and interesting in some way. We arrived at the 2008+ Audi TT The Dsg is ok for an auto and pretty much...
  13. troyguitar

gah Verizon phones/tablets, need input

So my ATT iPhone 4S started dying last week and it cost too much to replace it. I preferred my old Verizon service anyway and get 18% monthly off Verizon through work which means I'm ready to switch back. I went to the Verizon store here yesterday and made a stupid impulse buy without actually...
  14. troyguitar

What is up with new audiusa.com?

Looks retarded: http://www.audiusa.com/ Reminds me of windows 8 beta
  15. troyguitar

Worth fixing things before trade-in?

I'm probably trading my GTI in a month on whatever my gf decides she wants. The issue is: the windshield has a huge crack in it and needs to be replaced. I didn't bother fixing it yet since I don't drive the car anymore. Replacement costs something like $300-500. Will needing a windshield...
  16. troyguitar

So new A3 and S3 are also not coming out this year...

2015 Model Year for both, due out sometime next year. http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/exp/new_audi_models/2015_audi_a3.html?csref=A3HPhero_desktop Apparently there will be no Golf or A3 available for MY2014 in this country. 'murica We are getting the retarded SQ5 this year though. Slower...
  17. troyguitar

Commuting 150 miles per day: What car?

If you were commuting 150 miles per day, largely through hills/"mountains" in the middle of nowhere upstate PA with decent snowfall potential and slow snow cleanup, what car would you drive? Requirements: auto trans (non-CVT preferred), NOT a truck/SUV/CUV, under $50k (preferably well under)
  18. troyguitar

Where to buy metric bolts?

I need 2 damn bolts to put my new flywheel on and cannot find them anywhere... any thoughts? M10 x 1.0 x 30 Plain 12.9 DIN 912 Socket Head Cap Screw Local hardware and auto parts stores are a negative, Lowes and Home depot are a negative, Tractor Supply Co is a negative, Fastenal is a negative...
  19. troyguitar

Nice and Efficient AWD car options

So it's finally official, gf and I will be moving this summer and driving ~60 minute highway commutes every day. Roughly 30k miles a year, 95% highway with almost zero traffic. I'm an idiot so I'll be driving my S4, but she's looking at getting something that is actually reasonable i.e. not a...
  20. troyguitar

What is with the matte obsession?

Anyone care to inform me how this whole matte craze has come to be? Why is anything shiny "cheap"? Is this another American thing much like how we hate all things that are not black, white, or some shade of gray? I sometimes wonder if the ultimate American aesthetic would be a large dull gray...