GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Going the way of @dtfd…. Current print is projected at +/-28hr.

First layers are looking good. All but the inner circle at this point is support. 🤣

5F569D9C-ADBC-43E9-A070-649E6D00A506.jpeg

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
A helical gear lamp shade for the carburetor lamp I made a few years ago.

79D33D67-E1D7-484F-B118-5C99174D5ACD.jpeg

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Stopped the print because I don’t know if I could stand this meh color pla gracing my nightstand for life. 28hrs is a long time to print for something I don’t like.

At least I could verify it fit. 🤷‍♂️

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
Stopped the print because I don’t know if I could stand this meh color pla gracing my nightstand for life. 28hrs is a long time to print for something I don’t like.

At least I could verify it fit. 🤷‍♂️
Couldnt you paint it tho?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Yeah he could but looks like it might be intricate which would be a pain.

Made a glue stick holder for the glue stick that I never use.

B20FBA21-17C5-4D2C-BE43-12364580AC66.jpeg

This Hatchbox gold PLA printed this great but I’m trying to make one more octopus and it keeps messing up like 30-40 minutes into the print. I think I’m getting little dots of filament when it goes to move and when it hits the dot while moving it knocks a section off the plate. Need to play with the retraction possibly. I printed off 9 back to back with a rainbow silk filament but it was SunLu brand.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
measure once, print and revise 13 times 🤣 - now i can appreciate CJM charging $15 plus shipping lol

D6948945-6DA4-4DD0-B84F-39FEE1F07295.jpeg
664CF444-9F02-425A-93AE-14322FE83E14.jpeg

Finally got all the dimensions right and the cutout in the right spot. Tried adding a VW logo, it seemed to work fine. Now I need to dial in the printer and get some black filament.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
So this is my sponge holder that I finally made the time to post about. I used CC3D silky shiny dark violet. I've always had trouble printing with silky filament unfortunately. Currently my Ender3 has an SKR Mini E3 v2, the TFT screen, and the latest Marlin firmware. I got my e-steps sorted and I use mesh bed leveling because my bed is pretty warped. It looks like I should've tweak my retraction settings for this filament only as my Hatchbox filament never gives me all the hairy stuff.

** EDIT (2/2/2023) - After digging around a bit and doing some reading, I'm wondering if I was printing too hot hence why I got the stringing.

I'm not sure what these thick filament strands are from? Retraction? Any other ideas?

I can also see that I needed to work on my supports a bit more though I'm not sure on which setting as they looked good in Cura. Any suggestions? The green circle is the way the should've looked while the red circle is what half of them ended up looking like.

I burned off all the hairs, cut off the thick filament at the top, and cleaned up the remains from the supports. Overall it looks pretty decent sitting by the kitchen sink and it was wife approved so it's been put into use. I won't be reprinting another one unless this one gets destroyed. I've read that some silky filaments like more heat so I printed this model at 230 which was the max that the filament label indicated. Anyone got any tips on how to get better prints with silky filaments? Both my wife and my daughter like the silky filaments so I know I'll get more requests in the future.

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I have a roll of Hatchbox and I run it around 180-185. My SunLu PLA I run around 215 (silk or regular). Bed temp is always 70 which is high but it’s like 60 Fahrenheit in my basement at the moment.

I was having a hard time with silk until I dismantled my hot end and cleaned the insides and put a new nozzle on. I also put in a Capricorn tube which I don’t think fixed it but certainly didn’t hurt. Knocked out 9 flexi octopus in a row with little issues.

You printed it standing up? Layer height? Also could be an issue in the CAD file so look closely at that for issues. The butterfly’s are supposed to be a butterfly shaped hole correct? You might need to add some thin supports into the CAD file that you can cut out when it’s done.

Last edited: