GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clockspring replace now cruise control buttons not working

Kyngfish

Car(s)
1986 Carrera 3.2
Hey all. I replaced the clockspring in my car and now the cruise buttons don’t work. I got another clockspring. Both OEM. Didn’t solve the problem. Connections seem all good. Could the buttons have toasted themselves somehow? Other buttons seem to work fine.

Kyngfish

Car(s)
1986 Carrera 3.2
Noooooooo. I did not. How would I do that now that the old one is long gone. And y would it only affect just the buttons on the left side and not the right.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Most likely the coding for the buttons on the right is the same. There aren't a lot of variations on the right side buttons. Whereas the left side buttons vary a lot depending on whether a car has cruise control, adaptive cruise control, driving assistance systems etc.

Do you have VCDS or OBDEleven? Either one of those can make the change. Of course if you don't have either it's probably a safe assumption that you have no backup of your car's original configuration.

Post a picture of your steering wheel buttons and The trim level of your car. I can probably find out what the coding should be. Of course you'll still have to do it, or get it done.

Kyngfish

Car(s)
1986 Carrera 3.2
No. I have one of these. Topdon things. It probably doesn’t do what I need but just in case I’m throwing up a picture.

If that doesn’t work and if obdeleven will do it and it costs 80 bucks then I’ll get it. Which one works best?

Steering wheel poc below that

40950665-F616-406B-9ED1-96C199E3B8C3.png

Attachments

• 043FEB8E-1C6B-4ABB-80A7-91BB8916ED2F.jpeg
    043FEB8E-1C6B-4ABB-80A7-91BB8916ED2F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Did you make sure you got the right clock spring? There are a few different part numbers out there and I am fairly certain they aren’t interchangeable.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Did you make sure you got the right clock spring? There are a few different part numbers out there and I am fairly certain they aren’t interchangeable.
^^^^ like mentioned before also you need to copy the old coding over to the new clock spring.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Kyngfish I would pick up an OBDEleven if I were you. It's relatively cheap and will likely take care of everything you might wish to do with your car. Including matching the clock spring coding, which you now must do after replacing yours. You can safely ignore the rest of this post :LOL:.

@DrFunkalupicus The different clock springs (549 type made by Kostal and 569 type made by Valeo) are not physically interchangeable, although they are functionally interchangeable. I have yet to see a scan of a North American Golf/GTI that has the Kostal 549 type). If OP had picked up the wrong one he would not have been able to install it. The stalks and steering column bracket are different. Would also need a different harness to go from clock spring to lock cylinder (unless you have KESSY). Ask me how I know, haha. The coding was the same for both clock spring types IIRC.

I guess you could have picked up the "wrong" clock spring type and got one for a heated steering. But that would be a "mistake" that I would be jealous of, after my struggles to find a clock spring for heated wheel. And that clock spring would still bolt up.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
If you want provide me with your vin# and i'll look on Etka tomorrow and check to see the correct clock spring per your Vin

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My understanding is OP already replaced the clock spring. They just need to code it. If they had the wrong clock spring they would not have been able to install it. I have both types in my garage, along with the different bracket and stalks needed for each.

The possible part numbers are
5Q0 953 569 X - most likely OP's "X" = A. If x = B or C that is a clock spring that supports a heated steering wheel
5Q0 953 549 X - unlikely, but then if X = B, C, or D it supports a heated steering wheel
- These 549's are made by Kostal, cheaper than the Valeo units, and more reliable... again I've never seen a North American Golf scan that shows a 549

Unless OP also bought stalks, bracket and lock cylinder harness the clock spring they have is fine. The heated wheel supporting clock spring uses a different plug so they also would not have been able to install that one.

Kyngfish

Car(s)
1986 Carrera 3.2
Yep. I have the right clockspring. The likelihood of this not being the case is extremely low since I actually replaced the clockspring twice. The first one was defective. Both times I contacted fcp euro and gave them my vin and made sure I got the oem part.

How do I find out which code I need for the clockspring. Which OBDeleven device do I need

Kyngfish

Car(s)
1986 Carrera 3.2
Nevemind on the device. How do I find out the code?

Interestingly if you get obdeleven from Amazon it’s 100 bucks or so. But if you get it from their website you can get it fulfilled by Amazon but the price is 65.

Kyngfish

Car(s)
1986 Carrera 3.2
Just closing the loop on this for posterity. @Cuzoe worked with me to figure out the code. In the end we found the answer in another thread where someone showed a readout for a car that was my model year. The search was essentially 2015 GTI SE long code - someone had an unrelated issue and flashed up all of their coding. In module 16 was code 0410. Tried that and voila.

So now we know how to find my code but more importantly for others looking for other related codes. Find someone that shared a readout of your same mode car and you’ll be able to see long codes. Ymmv