GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CarrGenie: Redefined Wireless Carplay & Android Auto Adapter

bajaDean

Car(s)
mk4s TDI, MK7 TDI
I found this on kickstarter, will this work/solve some of the issues in the MK7 I recently bought my 2016 and find the maps and system a bit lacking, glanced into upgrading the maps and say it will be a bit of effort, . I think this could solve some my main issues, but at the same time maybe lose my steering wheel control of items. anyone in the know of these types of devices?

CarrGenie: Redefined Wireless Carplay & Android Auto Adapter​

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...s-carplay-and-android-auto-adapter?ref=83mhuw

Lena77

Car(s)
Golf
To anyone interested a CarPlay retrofit, I spent a lot of time researching the different models, and I would highly recommend the carlinkit version. There is very little information about the differences between the models, so I wanted to share my experiences.

The carlinkit version offers wireless CarPlay and a self contained control unit. It is sold on several different platforms, but I purchased mine from https://carlinkitbox.com/products/carlinkit-4-0-wireless-carplay-android-auto. The seller was very responsive, responding within 24hrs to all of my questions. It’s important to know that for most models you need the full kit, not the cheaper usb dongle.

One of the the biggest things to look for when purchasing one of these units is a seller that understands the differences between the infotainment systems in each model car. While the control box is the same (you just change the dip switches) the cables vary depending on whether you have a non nav control knob, nav control joystick, or later model touch pad. If you include these specifications when you order, it avoids many of the installation problems many people have with these kits.

The biggest advantage of this kit over the beat sonic is that it contains all of the functions in one control unit including wireless CarPlay, rather than two boxes connected via HDMI. Instead of using analog rca inputs, the box accepts a direct usb or wireless connection, and avoids a lot of bulk and cable management issues. The kit functions like a stock CarPlay system and retains all of the built in features like the backup camera, microphone, and steering wheel controls, and even on the smaller “non-nav” screen, the resolution looks great, not pixelated or stretched.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but hopefully this helps golfmk7owners looking for a CarPlay retrofit.

bajaDean

Car(s)
mk4s TDI, MK7 TDI
To anyone interested a CarPlay retrofit, I spent a lot of time researching the different models, and I would highly recommend the carlinkit version. There is very little information about the differences between the models, so I wanted to share my experiences.

The carlinkit version offers wireless CarPlay and a self contained control unit. It is sold on several different platforms, but I purchased mine from https://carlinkitbox.com/products/carlinkit-4-0-wireless-carplay-android-auto. The seller was very responsive, responding within 24hrs to all of my questions. It’s important to know that for most models you need the full kit, not the cheaper usb dongle.

One of the the biggest things to look for when purchasing one of these units is a seller that understands the differences between the infotainment systems in each model car. While the control box is the same (you just change the dip switches) the cables vary depending on whether you have a non nav control knob, nav control joystick, or later model touch pad. If you include these specifications when you order, it avoids many of the installation problems many people have with these kits.

The biggest advantage of this kit over the beat sonic is that it contains all of the functions in one control unit including wireless CarPlay, rather than two boxes connected via HDMI. Instead of using analog rca inputs, the box accepts a direct usb or wireless connection, and avoids a lot of bulk and cable management issues. The kit functions like a stock CarPlay system and retains all of the built in features like the backup camera, microphone, and steering wheel controls, and even on the smaller “non-nav” screen, the resolution looks great, not pixelated or stretched.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but hopefully this helps golfmk7owners looking for a CarPlay retrofit.
thanks for the details.
two questions for you,

1, Will my xm radio still operate

2, and second do I need to install anything to make it work, i tried direct plug in of my android phone and had to download the VW app, but the vw app would not work beause it sent me to usa VW and I have a Mexican Golf Variant so the USA VW could not authorize it by my vin so could not activate my app.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Ottocast is another excellent option for wireless carplay too. I’m using it in my MK4 with Pioneer CarPlay head unit and it is online and connected within about 20 seconds of starting the car and works flawlessly with no lag.

OTTOCAST Wireless CarPlay Adapter for iPhone - 2022 Upgrade Wired to Wireless Apple Carplay Dongle - 5GHz WiFi, Low Latency, Plug & Play, Online Update https://a.co/d/eaTKM1S

I bought this one and it currently has a $30 off coupon.