GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Is anybody using solostorm? I'm a data nerd so wondering if it's worth the cost (especially considering the gps).

No codriver so comparative data will be somewhat limited.

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Is anybody using solostorm? I'm a data nerd so wondering if it's worth the cost (especially considering the gps).

I made my own GPS and use racechrono which sucks for autocross (but is totally acceptable for track crap). Even with the crappy software I find that I can find things to work on in real time with it in an autocross setting and it has been helpful to find something quick to focus on between runs. I suspect solostorm is even better. I say go for it if you are a data nerd that lives and dies by squiggly lines.
club.PNG

Here is an example of how you might use a speed trace to find time even just against yourself. This is T1 at Club Motorsports. Can see my min speed is well before the apex. Well that is safe and conservative but not fast so maybe fix that next time out

Attachments

• club.PNG
    club.PNG
    116.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Last 2 events.

Supposedly +1 on this run, but I didn't feel/hear a cone and my daughter was recording from the side and she didn't see a cone either, but not worth arguing locally as she didn't catch the beginning of my run, so not 100% sure.

It's hard to tell based on the field of view, but it looks like you are pushing in the sweepers, and maybe off the cones a few feet, at times.

I suggest moving the camera back to between the seats if possible to widen the view.

On top of the car looking slightly down also gives a great view of how close you are to cones, plus gives a wide view of the course.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

I have the SoloStorm with RaceCapture MK2 setup. The RaceCapture MK2 is maybe a little overkill for autox, but I wanted it in the off chance I decide to start tracking the car. Maybe a unnecessary expense, but I’m okay with that.

I really like the SoloStorm. The data collection, and ease of use and integration with external camera has been great. Once I figured out the nuances, I really like it. It’s easy to get sucked into the whole picture that it provides. But I use it to help focus on certain areas of the course.

You mentioned no codriver, but is there someone that you know that uses it, that’s a good driver?

I routinely share my data with a few others that use it during the same event, and I can download their track log and video and see where I match up.

There’s other less expensive programs. But I wanted something that was easy to use, that I could view the data essentially after each run.

I’m out of town for a week or so, but I can provide screenshots or other info I’d you’re interested, once I get back.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
It's hard to tell based on the field of view, but it looks like you are pushing in the sweepers, and maybe off the cones a few feet, at times.

I suggest moving the camera back to between the seats if possible to widen the view.

On top of the car looking slightly down also gives a great view of how close you are to cones, plus gives a wide view of the course.

I was looking at GoPro like cameras that are cheaper like the Oclu & Akaso to mount on top of the car so i can see how close I'm getting to cones. The inside view really doesn't show anything pertinent. Had one of the top PAX ride with me. He watched the video and made same comments, but then rode with me & saw for the most part that i was closer than it looked on video. Although i did still run wide on a couple.

Just trying to figure out what view is the best.
Headrest- better than windshield and can see steering, shifting etc, but sometimes limited view. Looks narrow. Like the expansive windshield view
Top view - better than interior for seeing cones, but still not perfect
rear quarter panel - best for seeing cones on 1 side of the car, but useless for the other unless you had 2 cameras
360 camera on top - probably the best option, but $$$

just going to get a headrest mount See how i like it.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I was looking at GoPro like cameras that are cheaper like the Oclu & Akaso to mount on top of the car so i can see how close I'm getting to cones. The inside view really doesn't show anything pertinent. Had one of the top PAX ride with me. He watched the video and made same comments, but then rode with me & saw for the most part that i was closer than it looked on video. Although i did still run wide on a couple.

Headrest- better than windshield and can see steering, shifting etc, but sometimes limited view. Looks narrow. Like the expansive windshield view
rear quarter panel - best for seeing cones on 1 side of the car, but useless for the other unless you had 2 cameras

Narrow your focus of what you want to see and why.

What I mean by that, is move the camera around for different events based on why you want to try and work on that day. Even with the data, if you’re trying to look at the whole run, and fix issues across every corner, the complexity and info imputes increase.

At least that’s my perspective. Each day, and each course, I pick only a small area that I want to work on improving the most. Even comparing the data between runs, I’m just looking at the big slalom, or the sweeper, this technical corner, or just that one segment, or improving my steering wheel control, etc.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

I usually run top and headrest, never one side unless I’m specifically concerned about distance from cones.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Narrow your focus of what you want to see and why.

What I mean by that, is move the camera around for different events based on why you want to try and work on that day. Even with the data, if you’re trying to look at the whole run, and fix issues across every corner, the complexity and info imputes increase.

At least that’s my perspective. Each day, and each course, I pick only a small area that I want to work on improving the most. Even comparing the data between runs, I’m just looking at the big slalom, or the sweeper, this technical corner, or just that one segment, or improving my steering wheel control, etc.
Yeah, i don't have the bandwidth to focus on the whole course. Usually, to your point, it's 1 or 2 sections of 1 - 2 turns that have the biggest impact on improving times.

I usually run top and headrest, never one side unless I’m specifically concerned about distance from cones.
I think that's what I'm going to end up with.

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
No problem. What is your suspension setup? - AB
I was going for STH at the beginning but I just don't have the desire to AX anymore. I've removed STH legal components and gone to TT subframe, TT control arms, CSS knuckles, Vorshlag CC plates, 034 rear toe links, 034 F/R sways. Still on stock shocks/springs cause I can't make up my mind. -3.8 camber front, -1.8 camber rear, 0 toe. At the local track (Autobahn) I was getting cooler shoulder temps.

Finally managed to get a harness bar and harness to give me the ability to push a little harder without having to control my body as well as the car. Going to Road America in a week for a SCCA TT event. I'll see where the temps are there before making any adjustments.

For your reference, initial bolt up of all the pieces (not moving the CC plates from the STH setup) netted -4.6 camber. In case you're considering the CSS knuckles, that much negative did cause some interference between the knuckles and the TT ball joint mount plate at full droop. No interference at ride height but I still added some clearance by die grinder just in case.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I was going for STH at the beginning but I just don't have the desire to AX anymore. I've removed STH legal components and gone to TT subframe, TT control arms, CSS knuckles, Vorshlag CC plates, 034 rear toe links, 034 F/R sways. Still on stock shocks/springs cause I can't make up my mind. -3.8 camber front, -1.8 camber rear, 0 toe. At the local track (Autobahn) I was getting cooler shoulder temps.

Finally managed to get a harness bar and harness to give me the ability to push a little harder without having to control my body as well as the car. Going to Road America in a week for a SCCA TT event. I'll see where the temps are there before making any adjustments.

For your reference, initial bolt up of all the pieces (not moving the CC plates from the STH setup) netted -4.6 camber. In case you're considering the CSS knuckles, that much negative did cause some interference between the knuckles and the TT ball joint mount plate at full droop. No interference at ride height but I still added some clearance by die grinder just in case.
What class did you end up in for TT's?

B1mmer

Ready to race!

I need to stay STH legal, but that is interesting about the CSS knuckles. Thanks. - AB

bfury5

Autocross Champion

any plans to move beyond stock shocks / springs moving forward?

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
Sorry, I was in SF for work and out of touch.
@GTIfan99: the camber plates put the car in Tuner 4 for SCCA time trials. Even though the adjustable TT control arms and CSS knuckles still bump the car out of Sport and Tuner because they're not model options and or available in the US. The combination of all the parts (camber plates, control arms and CSS knuckles) put the car in MAX.

bfury5: I would like to but I have a struggle between my wishes, budget, lap times and comfort. I'd like Ohlins, but will most likely end up with PSS10. Really really want something like an AST 5200. DA, inverted strut, true coilover rear. But agin. Street car I have to drive in snow. Longer term, NC Miatas with blown engines are looking really appealing lately. The DSG is a great transmission, but I miss heel-toe downshifts.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Sorry, I was in SF for work and out of touch.
@GTIfan99: the camber plates put the car in Tuner 4 for SCCA time trials. Even though the adjustable TT control arms and CSS knuckles still bump the car out of Sport and Tuner because they're not model options and or available in the US. The combination of all the parts (camber plates, control arms and CSS knuckles) put the car in MAX.

bfury5: I would like to but I have a struggle between my wishes, budget, lap times and comfort. I'd like Ohlins, but will most likely end up with PSS10. Really really want something like an AST 5200. DA, inverted strut, true coilover rear. But agin. Street car I have to drive in snow. Longer term, NC Miatas with blown engines are looking really appealing lately. The DSG is a great transmission, but I miss heel-toe downshifts.
I'll plug redshift again because they were fantastic on my car, budget as far as motorsports go but amazing performance to dollar ratio. Probably not much more than a PSS10 kit all in