GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
installed osram headlights.. pretty sure I put the car back together perfectly but now I got front assist not available. hoping it goes away in 100 miles but I have bad feeling it won't. there may have been a time I tested the lights functionality by reconnecting the battery for a second without the front assist connected just to make sure they work before I put the car back together because I didn't want to put the car back together and realize there was an issue with the lights. I guess I didn't realize I should have reconnected the front assist at the same time despite the grill not being attached. honestly, who would think to do that? nobody. so I dont blame myself. this is really frustrating though. I hope obdeleven can clear this code, which I was going to order anyway. my car is under warranty but I do not want to bring it to the dealership and they will obviously figure out that I did this when they see my headlights and put 2+2 together and try to charge me due to negligence.
Pretty sure whenever the front grill is removed the radar needs to be re-calibrated after. I'm not sure if that can be DIY'd or not but the dealer would charge for that regardless of your new headlights or not.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
installed osram headlights.. pretty sure I put the car back together perfectly but now I got front assist not available. hoping it goes away in 100 miles but I have bad feeling it won't. there may have been a time I tested the lights functionality by reconnecting the battery for a second without the front assist connected just to make sure they work before I put the car back together because I didn't want to put the car back together and realize there was an issue with the lights. I guess I didn't realize I should have reconnected the front assist at the same time despite the grill not being attached. honestly, who would think to do that? nobody. so I dont blame myself. this is really frustrating though. I hope obdeleven can clear this code, which I was going to order anyway. my car is under warranty but I do not want to bring it to the dealership and they will obviously figure out that I did this when they see my headlights and put 2+2 together and try to charge me due to negligence.
Did you disconnect the battery? Generally front radar will need recalibrated when removed, though I've heard of people getting away with not having to if they disconnected the battery before removing.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have removed and unclipped my front radar at least a dozen times on my 7.5 and never had to recalibrate or had any issues for that matter, it’s still works as intended as I see/hear the warning of a stopped car beep and pop up on the dash a few times a week cause in Vegas people love to last min decided to make a right turn 😂

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I have removed and unclipped my front radar at least a dozen times on my 7.5 and never had to recalibrate or had any issues for that matter, it’s still works as intended as I see/hear the warning of a stopped car beep and pop up on the dash a few times a week cause in Vegas people love to last min decided to make a right turn 😂
Same, had the grille off like 6 or 7 times never recalibrate, never an issue

Missingparts

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
what did you use for this? Dremmel?
Yes, I used a Dremel with a carbide tile cutting bit to cut the bulk of it out (it cuts the plastic instead of melting it) and then smoothed it out with the sanding drum bit.

20220625_154621.jpg

Missingparts

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Do you have the passenger side block off plate?

I left the passenger side open for now. I'm undecided if I want to order the block off plate. The only reason I'm hesitant is I like the idea of fresh air being able to flow in and cool down the engine compartment some and with the new openings air has a straight shot into the airbox.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
The weird thing is I could have sworn I had no warnings the first time I drove my car after doing the light install. Then after I went for an actual drive the next day the light came on. I am hoping it’s just A loose plug

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The weird thing is I could have sworn I had no warnings the first time I drove my car after doing the light install. Then after I went for an actual drive the next day the light came on. I am hoping it’s just A loose plug
Def, sounds more like that could be the case.

Missingparts

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
dumb question, can't water go into here easily when it rains while driving?

That is a concern of mine but I don't think it will be an issue. When the hood is closed it actually covers the openings so air has to travel through the grill then up into the openings (just like on the passenger side) so driving in rain water doesn't have a direct shot into the airbox. Could some water make it into the airbox, probably. But If it does I think it will me very minimal and there is a factory drain in the airbox.